Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am quite worried coz all I have is my work as a HCA for a year part time. I haven't done any shadowing or anything else! It looks bad coz I only have one section filled out out of 5!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal Consort)
    I am quite worried coz all I have is my work as a HCA for a year part time. I haven't done any shadowing or anything else! It looks bad coz I only have one section filled out out of 5!
    I wouldn't worry so much Ethereal, your HCA experience is exactly what they are looking for; close patient contact within a caring environment. Maybe you have some other non-care experience which bears some relevance to them? I know it may sound difficult, but maybe you could look for some experience for these next couple of months? There is a section for projected work experience on the questionnaire.

I'm trying to squeeze in some GP shadowing in patient consultations, hopefully with a keener eye into the nuances involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hbg)
    I wouldn't worry so much Ethereal, your HCA experience is exactly what they are looking for; close patient contact within a caring environment. Maybe you have some other non-care experience which bears some relevance to them? I know it may sound difficult, but maybe you could look for some experience for these next couple of months? There is a section for projected work experience on the questionnaire.

I'm trying to squeeze in some GP shadowing in patient consultations, hopefully with a keener eye into the nuances involved!
    I have some other non-care university society stuff that I did, but from reading around it seems they are looking for medical-related experiences! As you say, I might have to start searching for some kind of shadowing placement now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_JW95)
    Tell me about it! I wasn't sure whether it means actual number of days worked, or days in possession of that role? I'm gonna guess it was the former... Yippeeeeeeeeeee! My HCA job shouldn't be too hard to work out but I hardly kept track of my voluntary days I'm not worried about not having enough experience; I feel I have plenty, I'm just worried that I won't be accurate enough with this form now haha

Your experience sounds fine to me. The impression I got from the open day was that they favour people who have had roles for a long time over those with loads of 2-3 day shadowing placements, for example. The fact that you worked for 2 years in Community Pharmacy bodes well.

I personally volunteered weekly as a mealtime assistant on a ward for about 7 months, and have a part-time job (part-time because I'm still completing my first degree) as a HCA at a private hospital which I've been doing since mid-July. I've also shadowed a good selection of doctors over the course of 2 days.
    Thanks Rich. Your experience sounds great!

ReputationRep:
    Along with a list of your experience, in what form are you expected to provide evidence of each experience roll? Or are you not really expected to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)
    Along with a list of your experience, in what form are you expected to provide evidence of each experience roll? Or are you not really expected to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think in the questionnaire if you just provide them with a contact name in the 'point of contact' part, then they'll just call them to make sure you actually did the work

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else having a problem with the 'Other information' section of the questionnaire? I can't seem to 'choose an item'. Any advice would be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shassasing)
    Is anyone else having a problem with the 'Other information' section of the questionnaire? I can't seem to 'choose an item'. Any advice would be helpful.
    If you're on a mac running office 2011, it's not compatible. You need to complete that bit on a windows machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you liam__. That's really helpful.

(Original post by liam__)
    If you're on a mac running office 2011, it's not compatible. You need to complete that bit on a windows machine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone knows what's the minimum requirements for this form for an interview?
    At the bottom is says overall score? Does anyone know how they mark this?

Just having a little freakout, everyone on tsr has so much experience which is amazing! feel like my form is going to be very weak..

On the questionnaire how detailed do you think we should we go in the "Details of work" section? With a ~30 word limit its hard to do more than just very brief bulletpoints...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaaaarome)
    On the questionnaire how detailed do you think we should we go in the "Details of work" section? With a ~30 word limit its hard to do more than just very brief bulletpoints...
    Hi, I was thinking the same. Btw I have around 250 hours of voluntary work in the hospital and 75 hours for a youth club of children with cerebral palsy over the last 3 years. I hope its enough to get the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophia08)
    hi guys!

Just wondering if anyone knows what's the minimum requirements for this form for an interview?
    At the bottom is says overall score? Does anyone know how they mark this?

Just having a little freakout, everyone on tsr has so much experience which is amazing! feel like my form is going to be very weak..
    I don't think a marking scheme for the doc is available Sophia and it seems to be for admin use. The 30 word limit would only give a glimpse into what most would have done on their work experience, so I'd hazard a guess that it bears much greater weight in the interview.

The Nottingham GEM FAQs give a hint as to the type of work experience they are looking for:

"It needs to take place in a care-related environment where you will ideally interact with healthcare professionals and members of the public. The main focus for asking that applicants have work experience is to ensure that you are making an informed choice about your future career and are aware of the ups and downs of being involved in medicine.

There are many ways you can do this ranging from volunteering in a care home, working as a healthcare assistant in a hospital or being involved with some kind of project, charity or organisation. It would also be helpful if you are able to spend some time shadowing doctors in a local practice or hospital environment but not absolutely necessary.

The more recent your experience (within the last 18 months) the more favourable your application will be viewed. You will be invited to talk about your work experience at the interview stage of the admissions process. They prefer someone who has spent a regular amount of time over several months than someone who has a day or two in a local hospital. The Admissions Panel will be looking for commitment and dedication on your part however, given the diversity and backgrounds of applicants, they will take into account applicants personal circumstances, eg age, completing the final year of a degree, working full-time plus family commitments/completing a part-time qualification, etc."

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what kind of answer they want for the number of days question? Is it the number of days you have gone in for the experience or the total days since you started?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ali.s1002)
    Does anyone know what kind of answer they want for the number of days question? Is it the number of days you have gone in for the experience or the total days since you started?
    I took that to mean the duration. So if you did 7 days shadowing it would be 7 days, but if you had been working as a HCA for 2 months it would be 62 days. Could be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    I took that to mean the duration. So if you did 7 days shadowing it would be 7 days, but if you had been working as a HCA for 2 months it would be 62 days. Could be wrong though.
    I at first thought it might be the number of hours expressed as number of days, where 72 hours would mean we put 3 days down... It can be interpreted in so many ways!

ReputationRep:
    I at first thought it might be the number of hours expressed as number of days, where 72 hours would mean we put 3 days down... It can be interpreted in so many ways!
    Tell me about it! Having uploaded mine already, I simply put an estimate for the number of days I actually attended the placement for. E.g my shifts as a HCA are either 8 or 14 hours long, but I counted both as one day each. I wasn't massively accurate either, as it was very hard to be, so I put estimates too.

ReputationRep:
    Mines an estimate too. It's a strange way to ask. I'm a nurse.... Should we take night duty off the days allowance or include it?! 😜

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I thought the same, but I rang them up today. They told me it's entirely up to us. I believe they will cross check everything we put on the form. They are more interested in the duties than the duration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by panjabi)
    Haha I thought the same, but I rang them up today. They told me it's entirely up to us. I believe they will cross check everything we put on the form. They are more interested in the duties than the duration.
    I emailed them and they told me to calculate my actual hours into working days... Whatever that means haha.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-12-02-09-31-12.png
Views: 481
Size:  112.1 KB

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.