Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rad Prince)
    This is something I find strange about believers in mainstream religions, the assumption that if God exists an afterlife must also exist and that this afterlife must be both permanent and right the wrongs of the previous life on Earth. Why would everyone necessarily live forever in the afterlife? Why would there be a flaming pit? Why would God care whether or not we masturbated or prayed? Why would it be permanent?
    Because these are all excercises of self discipline. And we perform these excercises to show our devotion to our God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    With God you're basically just outsourcing the decision of what your purpose is to a third party. Isn't it much more empowering for that decision to be yours?
    Of course. The purpose of life is to find your own personal purpose in order to survive the realisation of purposelessness of life itself :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    Because these are all excercises of self discipline. And we perform these excercises to show our devotion to our God.
    But why does he care?

Also why did he create human nature, if he is going to punish people for acting on it?

EDIT: and in fact, if he is going to punish people for failing tests of self-discipline, why do people get born with different amounts of self-discipline, different upbringings which effect your personality and all of the things which make the test totally unequal to begin with?

ReputationRep:
    Because doors don't open by themselves.

Mind blown:cool:

ReputationRep:
    But why does he care?

Also why did he create human nature, if he is going to punish people for acting on it?

EDIT: and in fact, if he is going to punish people for failing tests of self-discipline, why do people get born with different amounts of self-discipline, different upbringings which effect your personality and all of the things which make the test totally unequal to begin with?
    All these questions... did you know that sometimes there is such a thing as being too inquisitive? Maybe you should ask God these questions, and she will provide you with the answers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Whose life is more purposeful:
    1. Someone learning and doing what s/he likes and eventually be happy due to his/her achievements;
    2. A slave who was born to pick fruit for his master.
    1. Religion doesn't prevent us from achieving what we want and being happy. And after all the "happiness" in this world is over and we die, what is left?
    2. Unless the 'master' created this slave, this isn't a great metaphor. I'm Muslim and yes, as Muslims we are slaves of Allah. We "pick fruit" for Him because He created us and gave us everything we have in this world.

And finally, worshipping God does not take away from happiness. For some happiness is getting drunk over the weekend and ending up in a stranger's bed. For me it's praying every day knowing a reward is waiting for me in the afterlife, if I'm lucky enough to see heaven. That is a greater purpose. Is my life less purposeful because I'm spending it worshipping my Creator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    All these questions... did you know that sometimes there is such a thing as being too inquisitive? Maybe you should ask God these questions, and she will provide you with the answers.
    Even the story of Job talks of a man who suffers terrible things and he asks God why and God's response is to ask 'Where were you when I laid the Earth's foundations?'

If God will not give you an answer, surely rather than asking why, you have to take control of your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Because I think that - yes even though the Big Bang happened and is the reason we are here today - I believe something had to have triggered it. And I think that 'something' is God.

Also this:
    An organism that doesn't synthesise beta-galactosidase when there's no lactose to break down wastes less energy and has more offspring, increasing the prevalence of its improved lac operon gene. I believe in God, but I don't invoke Him to explain the lac operon.

ReputationRep:
    Even the story of Job talks of a man who suffers terrible things and he asks God why and God's response is to ask 'Where were you when I laid the Earth's foundations?'

If God will not give you an answer, surely rather than asking why, you have to take control of your life?
    Your argument is flawed. Just admit that I win already. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    There is plenty of evidence for God's existence. People will say I'm biased but for me personally the best evidence is the Qur'an, in which the origins of the universe were written about over 1400 years ago. Not to mention the countless scientific facts that have taken us humans centuries to discover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    An organism that doesn't synthesise beta-galactosidase when there's no lactose to break down wastes less energy and has more offspring, increasing the prevalence of its improved lac operon gene. I believe in God, but I don't invoke Him to explain the lac operon.
    Yeah but it's so awesome and detailed and beautifully crafted - i mean it can't all be down to evolution (though I believe in evolution to an extent)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy.98)
    Of course. The purpose of life is to find your own personal purpose in order to survive the realisation of purposelessness of life itself :mmm:
    Purposeception?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasminkattan)
    1. Religion doesn't prevent us from achieving what we want and being happy. And after all the "happiness" in this world is over and we die, what is left?
    2. Unless the 'master' created this slave, this isn't a great metaphor. I'm Muslim and yes, as Muslims we are slaves of Allah. We "pick fruit" for Him because He created us and gave us everything we have in this world.

And finally, worshipping God does not take away from happiness. For some happiness is getting drunk over the weekend and ending up in a stranger's bed. For me it's praying every day knowing a reward is waiting for me in the afterlife, if I'm lucky enough to see heaven. That is a greater purpose. Is my life less purposeful because I'm spending it worshipping my Creator?
    I've never actually had a one night stand, but I don't understand why getting 72 virgins in an afterlife is more pure and more decent than a person who has sex in this world.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice if there is an afterlife, but I don't want to spend my whole life living by what he thinks is right.

ReputationRep:
    I've never actually had a one night stand, but I don't understand why getting 72 virgins in an afterlife is more pure and more decent than a person who has sex in this world.
    Look, if someone is still a virgin by the time they get to heaven...
    they are probably UGLY. Those 72 virgins are not a blessing.

But on a serious note such a ridiculous view. I don't get it either. Blatantly trying to win over frustrated guys. I mean what God says "this is a guy, so he must have 70 women who while I also created them their sole purpose is to please this man".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    i mean it can't all be down to evolution (though I believe in evolution to an extent)
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i<3milkshake)
    Look, if someone is still a virgin by the time they get to heaven...
    they are probably UGLY. Those 72 virgins are not a blessing.

But on a serious note such a ridiculous view. I don't get it either. Blatantly trying to win over frustrated guys. I mean what God says "this is a guy, so he must have 70 women who while I also created them their sole purpose is to please this man".
    72 world of warcraft experts, Diamond 1 League of Legends pros :rofl:

Osama you tricked me

They are actually Houris created to reward men rather than women who died virgins, but I really do question the inconsistently of banning sex before marriage in this world, banning masturbation, but also offering every man dozens of sex-slaves in the next. Having a gf is much more pure than a cosmic harem, and this doesn't even get on to the issue of how the man's wife would feel in the afterlife seeing the man who was her husband in the previous life, suddenly with a harem of sex-slaves. She would be furious.

ReputationRep:
    because philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Actually that is a myth non-Muslims like to spread around, and that sadly many Muslims themselves also believe. Also, it would still be more pure in the afterlife because in heaven there is no such thing as sin. What men and women desire in this life is permissible in heaven. Sex in this life is a test for us to overcome in order to prove we deserve the final reward. So it's not the same.

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiW3qRlDhig

(Original post by somemightsay888)
    ITT

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.