Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Asian/Muslim teens - are you allowed to live away for uni? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by safiyyah98)
    Ah yeah I guess commuting would save money but its the experience of living away though right?
    yep exactly i still have time to persude them to let me live away so i wont stop annoying them about it lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candycaneland500)
    yep exactly i still have time to persude them to let me live away so i wont stop annoying them about it lol
    Lol yeah just work on them a bit everyday haha Who has more of a problem with it? Your mum or your dad?

ReputationRep:
    My Parents allow me to study away from home. Generally speaking there are a lot less opportunities for you to flourish in your field of choice if you are limited to studying within the area to which you live in. There may be better universities elsewhere, which would allow you to get a better degree and therefore more likely to get the job you want. My friend studied at UWE with 1 A* and 2A's at A level. Uwe is in Bristol and he lives in Bristol, so the only reason he went to uwe was because it was local (he would've opted for Bristol Uni but they don't offer his course). He studies there for 3 months and dropped out as he regretted his decision and thought he can get a much better education elsewhere. He now studies at kings and he's really happy about his decision.

Sometimes limiting the area in which you are able to study at can possibly affect your ability to get a better job in the future. You can easily make friends elsewhere and have an enjoying experience at other Universities. If you do get into a better University and its elsewhere you should always go for that in order to better your life in the long term.

Sorry if I was vague but I hope I helped you in some way

ReputationRep:
    Mum- "I don't want you to go to university far away just go to Kings College London!" (I don't even want to go KCL)

Dad- "I haven't got too much of a problem with you moving away as long as you get high grades at A2 and you might want to consider going abroad for uni because uni here in the UK is a f u c king ripoff. And don't go to Sheffield or Nottingham for university. They're very dodgy places and you'll die. Go for Southampton instead because it's clean!"

Different opinions but tbh that won't stop me from moving out to Southampton/Nottingham/Sheffield/abroad

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask, is everyone applying for uni to start in September 2016? If so what do you want to study and where have you applied to?
    Yeah I'm applying for September 2016. I applied for Law LLB, and applied to Manchester, Southampton, SOAS, UCL and City university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kamranhyder)
    My Parents allow me to study away from home. Generally speaking there are a lot less opportunities for you to flourish in your field of choice if you are limited to studying within the area to which you live in. There may be better universities elsewhere, which would allow you to get a better degree and therefore more likely to get the job you want. My friend studied at UWE with 1 A* and 2A's at A level. Uwe is in Bristol and he lives in Bristol, so the only reason he went to uwe was because it was local (he would've opted for Bristol Uni but they don't offer his course). He studies there for 3 months and dropped out as he regretted his decision and thought he can get a much better education elsewhere. He now studies at kings and he's really happy about his decision.

Sometimes limiting the area in which you are able to study at can possibly affect your ability to get a better job in the future. You can easily make friends elsewhere and have an enjoying experience at other Universities. If you do get into a better University and its elsewhere you should always go for that in order to better your life in the long term.

Sorry if I was vague but I hope I helped you in some way
    No that was really helpful, thanks I completely agree, we have to do whats best for our education. Are you at uni now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Mum- "I don't want you to go to university far away just go to Kings College London!" (I don't even want to go KCL)

Dad- "I haven't got too much of a problem with you moving away as long as you get high grades at A2 and you might want to consider going abroad for uni because uni here in the UK is a f u c king ripoff. And don't go to Sheffield or Nottingham for university. They're very dodgy places and you'll die. Go for Southampton instead because it's clean!"

Different opinions but tbh that won't stop me from moving out to Southampton/Nottingham/Sheffield/abroad
    LMAO great illustrative example hahaha Just do what you gotta do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusraali)
    Yeah I'm applying for September 2016. I applied for Law LLB, and applied to Manchester, Southampton, SOAS, UCL and City university
    Wow awesome! I'm applying for child nursing at Wolverhampton, BCU, uni of Birmingham, Manchester and Salford

ReputationRep:
    LMAO great illustrative example hahaha Just do what you gotta do
    Asian kid problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shostakovish)
    My parents couldn't care less about this - I have applied to Belfast.

My cousins are all scattered around Europe - it never really mattered in my family.
    DAMN check you out haha! Thats great, you gotta give me tips to persuade my dad lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Asian kid problems
    Story of my life

ReputationRep:
    After a few grumbles here and there, they accepted that i will leave

ReputationRep:
    Thats so luckyy lol, I just want to experience being by myself you know?
    Yeaah I know what you mean maybe you could reason with them and explain to your dad you're acting to be away for educational purposes only not anything else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHI)
    After a few grumbles here and there, they accepted that i will leave
    Lol SUCCESS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xGCSE_Studentx)
    Yeaah I know what you mean maybe you could reason with them and explain to your dad you're acting to be away for educational purposes only not anything else?
    I think he understands all that he's just overprotective, I need to get him to chill bout that and make him realise i'm almost an adult lol

ReputationRep:
    my mum kicked me out so many times as a teen so ye lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Mal)
    my mum kicked me out so many times as a teen so ye lol
    what?
    why
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eoe)
    what?
    why
    lol
    erm i will vm u

ReputationRep:
    My family generally would like me to stay home, as there's a very prestigious university here that'd be perfectly fine for what I'd like to do. Also, letting like 5 siblings go outside for uni costs quite a bit.

Although if I got invited to Oxbridge or another good uni, my familywould support me in a heartbeat

ReputationRep:
    loool nah g my mum prolly did dis

Name:  mum.png
Views: 203
Size:  34.6 KB

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.