Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of picky eaters? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    pizzad0gs shares my view on this lol. I cannot even conceive how people can be so picky at times xD It's food! Eat it!!

ReputationRep:
    Im not really a picky eater with savoury food (I am with sweets/chocolate/crisps but that isnt exactly an issue, its not like theyre necessities) but i absolutely hate cheese which blocks off so much food of which i would eat every other ingredient which makes people think i am fussy, especially when they realise i dont eat pizza (for some reason they never think hating cheese equals not eating pizza) when in reality it is one food i really cannot eat
    So annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Why is being a vegtarian ok; but being a supposedly picky eater isn't? Some of us actually havs serious issues with food, btw. It's nothing to do with being picky or rubbish parenting.
    The difference is obvious. Vegetarians may have either moral or health reasons for not eating meat. They may actually like meat but decide not to eat it for moral reasons.

But being picky is just that. Choosing.

Now, if it's just a case of choosing their own food that's fine. Although their parents are responsible for them up to 16 and so are legally obliged to tee they get a balanced diet. That problem stays in the home.

But there are patterns of behaviour that picky eaters frequently do which ARE unacceptable. These include:

Being served with something and only then saying they don't eat it (rude and a waste).

Going to someone's house, accepting the offer of a meal and then declining it because they are picky (rude)

Talking about why they don't like certain foods and saying how much those foods disgust them over and again (TMI, boring and self-obsessed).

Stopping other people from enjoying communal food because they don't like a part of it (they should just have a plate of what they want then). I have seen this passive aggressive behaviour more then once and it extends to some saying at a Chinese meal "I don't want that on the table, it makes me ill just to have it there'. That's passive/aggressive *******s and I actually think they should be asked to leave.

Sitting looking sad-faced as they toy with your food (it's not all about them)

Not trying stuff offered by the host (rude, and how do they know until they've tried?)

The ignorance in this thread.:erm: Some people don't like food, get over it.

ReputationRep:
    I think its annoying because people have to compromise all the time, we accept that we can't ALWAYS have our favourite things. Picky eaters seem completely unwilling to compromise, despite the fact that they might be making life difficult for those around them. This can come across as stubborn and childish, and shows a lack of appreciation of food, or a wilful ignorance of other cultures cuisines.

Obviously this isn't always the case; the majority of picky eaters aren't trying to be difficult deliberately, some people have real issues with food, some people weren't exposed to different foods as a child and never developed their palate, lots of people probably don't understand why it annoys others and don't see any reason to change. There's also been research which suggests that some picky eaters actually have more sensitive taste-buds, so they experience certain tastes very strongly, which can be legitimately unpleasant. So it's important not to tar everyone with the same brush.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Stychomythia)
    The difference is obvious. Vegetarians may have either moral or health reasons for not eating meat. They may actually like meat but decide not to eat it for moral reasons.

But being picky is just that. Choosing.

Now, if it's just a case of choosing their own food that's fine. Although their parents are responsible for them up to 16 and so are legally obliged to tee they get a balanced diet. That problem stays in the home.

But there are patterns of behaviour that picky eaters frequently do which ARE unacceptable. These include:

Being served with something and only then saying they don't eat it (rude and a waste).

Going to someone's house, accepting the offer of a meal and then declining it because they are picky (rude)

Talking about why they don't like certain foods and saying how much those foods disgust them over and again (TMI, boring and self-obsessed).

Stopping other people from enjoying communal food because they don't like a part of it (they should just have a plate of what they want then). I have seen this passive aggressive behaviour more then once and it extends to some saying at a Chinese meal "I don't want that on the table, it makes me ill just to have it there'. That's passive/aggressive *******s and I actually think they should be asked to leave.

Sitting looking sad-faced as they toy with your food (it's not all about them)

Not trying stuff offered by the host (rude, and how do they know until they've tried?)
    In my case, it's not a choice. It's actually a serious sensory issue.

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with...of-autism.aspx

Taste
    Chemical receptors in the tongue tell us about different tastes - sweet, sour, spicy and so on. People with an ASD may experience the following differences.

Hypo
    • Likes very spicy foods.
    • Eats everything - soil, grass, Play-dough. This is known as pica.

Hyper
    • Finds some flavours and foods too strong and overpowering because of very sensitive taste buds. Has a restricted diet.
    • Certain textures cause discomfort; some children will only eat smooth foods like mashed potatoes or ice-cream.
    Can you seriously tell me that's a choice?

ReputationRep:
    1. Do you have a diagnosis of a spectrum eating condition?

2. Do you exhibit any of the behaviours I set out?

ReputationRep:
    It's a psychological issue; usually caused by lax parenting. And it annoys the hell out of me.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Stychomythia)
    1. Do you have a diagnosis of a spectrum eating condition?

2. Do you exhibit any of the behaviours I set out?
    I have a diagnosis of Autism. I've had quite serious issues with eating since I was a child.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a diagnosis of autism that is something quite different. I would not classify that as being a 'picky eater';

I was addressing people who choose to eat in a certain way - but clearly this is something separate. it's not a choice on your part, even though you may dislike things about food: different foods touching, etc (although there are a number of different situations).

I suspect, then, that you also don't exhibit any of the other things I set out.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider myself a picky eater at all; I love trying food I haven't tried before. Having said that, I find a lot of sweets, chocolate and cake extremely sickly and sugary. Recently I've become more picky when it comes to that kind of thing. I don't think that's the same as what you're describing though, because those are really unhealthy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I try hard not to get angry or annoyed at them because it's a trivial matter. But they really do get on my tits, especially when you prepare food for them or give them something and they refuse to eat it, or when you go to a restaurant together and they insist on eating only one thing because they think everything else is bad. Picky eaters are very boring and annoying, but I try not to get too annoyed at them, it's their choice to be annoying and boring and we have to respect that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Why is being a vegtarian ok; but being a supposedly picky eater isn't? Some of us actually havs serious issues with food, btw. It's nothing to do with being picky or rubbish parenting.
    Exactly, does this mean those with a mental illness who are terrified off food, are being disrespectful? Obviously not.

Why do we have to bring so much negativity to a group of people who just have a preference regarding the food that they're eating.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind when you have picky eaters who will at least try new things but just often don't like them. At least they're putting in the effort.

But I absolutely cannot stand eating or going out to eat with picky eaters who will not even try new things. It's honestly one the most ridiculous things, barring any mental health condition as I know eating disorders can have long term affects on what people can or will eat and that autism can affect some people in terms of foods. But for the most part picky eaters I know were just complete brats as children with parents who would just always give up and let them get away with eating what they want all the time.

Edit: Also I would like to point out that in my post I am making a distinction between people who just very much dislike several types of food to picky eaters. I wouldn't class them as the same thing. To me a picky eater is someone with a severe diversion to anything new or the majority of foods. And again this does not include those with mental health or other medical conditions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I don't mind when you have picky eaters who will at least try new things but just often don't like them. At least they're putting in the effort.

But I absolutely cannot stand eating or going out to eat with picky eaters who will not even try new things. It's honestly one the most ridiculous things, barring any mental health condition as I know eating disorders can have long term affects on what people can or will eat. But for the most part picky eaters I know were just complete brats as children with parents who would just always give up and let them get away with eating what they want all the time.
    yeah i dont mind if they try, like finish the whole piece of food given. i hate it more if they make disgusting facial expression, that's so disrespectful and embarrassing for the other person. im adventurous with food but my brother will not even eat vegetables, i can already tell he's gonna grow up fitting to your description of a brat v_v

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    yeah i dont mind if they try, like finish the whole piece of food given. i hate it more if they make disgusting facial expression, that's so disrespectful and embarrassing for the other person. im adventurous with food but my brother will not even eat vegetables, i can already tell he's gonna grow up fitting to your description of a brat v_v
    It's definitely something that needs to be nipped in the bud at childhood. Because not only is it often disrespectful and inconvenient fir everyone else, but it's also not healthy to be so picky to the point where you'll only eat quavers and chicken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cold 187um)
    I try hard not to get angry or annoyed at them because it's a trivial matter. But they really do get on my tits, especially when you prepare food for them or give them something and they refuse to eat it, or when you go to a restaurant together and they insist on eating only one thing because they think everything else is bad. Picky eaters are very boring and annoying, but I try not to get too annoyed at them, it's their choice to be annoying and boring and we have to respect that.
    It's not really a choice, it's just that some people really don't like some foods. Others may have a food phobia of some description. It may seem trivial to you but for other people it is really serious. I physically cannot swallow mushrooms and other foods with a similar texture. To you it may seem annoying, but I just can't do it.

I choose to be vegetarian, because I have a moral objection to eating flesh, and that limits my options when I eat out. It isn't that I try to be annoying, I just object to being told that the veggie option is fish or something else I don't eat.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BekahMay)
    Im not really a picky eater with savoury food (I am with sweets/chocolate/crisps but that isnt exactly an issue, its not like theyre necessities) but i absolutely hate cheese which blocks off so much food of which i would eat every other ingredient which makes people think i am fussy, especially when they realise i dont eat pizza (for some reason they never think hating cheese equals not eating pizza) when in reality it is one food i really cannot eat
    So annoying
    I don't eat melted cheese. You can have pizza without cheese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I don't eat melted cheese. You can have pizza without cheese.
    I know that, ive had it before, I just dont see the point of going out of my way to ask for pizza without cheese when i can just eat something else. Plus in my experience i just get looked at like im some sort of psychopath just for asking so id rather not.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.