Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Imperial College of London.....Ms in Petroleum Geosciences... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Not really sure what to do in terms of preparation, I guess just why Imperial, why the course etc?

The train fares though A direct return would cost me £90 D:
    Luckily found national express coaches for £15 return, but I have to be up at 4 am :'(
    I think they will ask you mainly about your work experience, fieldtrips or any projects/research you've done or are doing.

That's super expensive. I'm lucky I guess because I already live in London haha. Still, I'm not looking forward to having to be there for 08:30..

ReputationRep:
    Not really sure what to do in terms of preparation, I guess just why Imperial, why the course etc?

The train fares though A direct return would cost me £90 D:
    Luckily found national express coaches for £15 return, but I have to be up at 4 am :'(
    Have you returned the form we have to complete? I don't know what to put for the section saying 'candidate number'. I can't find one anywhere

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeoPaul)
    I think they will ask you mainly about your work experience, fieldtrips or any projects/research you've done or are doing.

That's super expensive. I'm lucky I guess because I already live in London haha. Still, I'm not looking forward to having to be there for 08:30..
    Oh that's handy, are you studying there or have you graduated?

I've partially filled it in, I think you use the candidate number that you used to make the e-service account? It should be in one of the emails

ReputationRep:
    Oh that's handy, are you studying there or have you graduated?

I've partially filled it in, I think you use the candidate number that you used to make the e-service account? It should be in one of the emails
    I'm just finishing my final year at UCL

Ahh okay, so is that the CID? The one that's just numbers?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just finishing my final year at UCL

Ahh okay, so is that the CID? The one that's just numbers?
    Ah OK awesome! I'm finishing my final year at Leicester

Yes I imagine so - that's what I've filled in anyway!

I'm guessing smart casual dress code? Or would you say full on work/ job interview clothes?

ReputationRep:

I'm guessing smart casual dress code? Or would you say full on work/ job interview clothes?
    Okay cool!

I'm a guy so I'm not sure how great my advice is for girls haha, but I'm wearing just a shirt and smart trousers/shoes. I'm not going to have a suit jacket. So, a smart dress for you I guess, lol

ReputationRep:

Did you get loads of emails today that just contradict what we've had already? It's annoying and it's just confused me..

ReputationRep:
    Well i do have an unconditional offer from Leeds University but was hoping from Imperial too, grades are ok with loads of expereince and interview was ok dont know why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirgeo1)
    Well i do have an unconditional offer from Leeds University but was hoping from Imperial too, grades are ok with loads of expereince and interview was ok dont know why
    Have they rejected you or simply not replied? For my course I was told by the course director no decisions would be made until february.

Edit; I would not recommend leeds for petroleum geoscience I would say it goes:
    Herriot-Watt>Imperial>>Aberdeen=Manchest er.

No other uk universities really have the links in upstream oil and gas that these four do, so i'd recommend one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessful

ReputationRep:
    I was too sad coz i had made my mind for it... But what can i do right now instead of feeling sad..

ReputationRep:
    I was too sad coz i had made my mind for it... But what can i do right now instead of feeling sad..
    Imperial is an excellent university and rightly so you should be sad to be unsuccesful, should I be rejected I will also be upset.

As for what you will do, fortunately for you imperial is not the best university in the UK for Petroleum Geosciences - Herriot-Watt is. You should also apply to aberdeen and manchester these 3 (alongside imperial) are the strongest pet geo courses in europe.

Finally universities such as the colorado school of mines and texas a&m are miles ahead of imperial or any other european university, so perhaps look into the states.

I still find it strange that imperial would reject you. Did you recieve at least a 2.1 undergraduate degree? Is your written english up to standard? With your experience there was no doubt in my mind you would recieve a place.

ReputationRep:
    Heya, how did your interview go?
    Best of luck! I hope they tell us soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oilfreak1)
    Imperial is an excellent university and rightly so you should be sad to be unsuccesful, should I be rejected I will also be upset.

As for what you will do, fortunately for you imperial is not the best university in the UK for Petroleum Geosciences - Herriot-Watt is. You should also apply to aberdeen and manchester these 3 (alongside imperial) are the strongest pet geo courses in europe.

Finally universities such as the colorado school of mines and texas a&m are miles ahead of imperial or any other european university, so perhaps look into the states.

I still find it strange that imperial would reject you. Did you recieve at least a 2.1 undergraduate degree? Is your written english up to standard? With your experience there was no doubt in my mind you would recieve a place.
    I have secured 70% throughout my academic record, with Gold medal in B.Sc (Hons) Geology. I have valid IELTS score of 6.5 plus ten years of industry experience.

ReputationRep:
    Interview was good, even the professor told during the interview that she will send some reading material so i must go through before joining Imperial even then got an email of being unsuccessful

ReputationRep:
    I have secured 70% throughout my academic record, with Gold medal in B.Sc (Hons) Geology. I have valid IELTS score of 6.5 plus ten years of industry experience.
    Really confusing, I would call imperials admissions team to find out exactly why you were rejected could have been a mistake. Only reasonable reason I can think of is that with 10 years of experience they feel that the course would not benefit you as you would pretty much know it all already.

ReputationRep:
    Thats great, I will be thankful though i sent them an email for a reasons. The reason u mentioned must not true coz academia always play a leading role in innovation in any field. So professional from industry always need them rest is upto them if their criteria allow one to get into or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thats great, I will be thankful though i sent them an email for a reasons. The reason u mentioned must not true coz academia always play a leading role in innovation in any field. So professional from industry always need them rest is upto them if their criteria allow one to get into or not.
    yeah you hit all their criteria and are imo an above average candidate; of course imperial know best who they feel is suitable for their courses. The business school should get back to me sometime this month so I could be facing a rejection my self in a week or 2 =T.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I really wasn't sure how my interview went. I messed up in a couple of places. HOWEVER, I found out this morning that I have sponsorship from Total! So I am beyond happy right now. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I really wasn't sure how my interview went. I messed up in a couple of places. HOWEVER, I found out this morning that I have sponsorship from Total! So I am beyond happy right now. How about you?
    I am also sponsored by my employer even then i was not slected...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 10, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.