Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What colour is the sun? watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kyx)
    colour can be defined as the wavelength of light an object emits or reflects
    the sun emits white light; THE SUN IS WHITE
    The sun doesn't reflect any light. the absence of light is darkness, which is black: THE SUN IS BLACK
    What colour is the sun? just for fun I am going to say black.
    :holmes:
    Depends on perspective. Regarded as a big fire ball, the colour is multi-variant: orange as main colour with many red and black spots. As a round celestial body on a blue sky in summer, its white. In sunset time, the sun has a nice red-orange-yellow-touch. During a lunar eclipse, the sun is black for a while. As you can see, the sun has not a clear colour.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    But what if the sun goes down and the moon comes uuuuup? :holmes:
    Where do you think we get blood and throbbing moons from?

ReputationRep:
    lol you guys, the sun isnt really there it would of run out of fuel by now if it were really burning

ReputationRep:
    It's a remarkable coincidence that we've evolved visual apparatus that has a peak sensitivity at the same wavelength as the peak emission from our source of natural light :holmes:

I wonder if there's intelligent life evolved on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star wondering why their sunlight is so awfully red... or would they just perceive it as colourless?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.