Turn on thread page Beta

What's a fair price for uni tuition fees? watch

• View Poll Results: What's a fair price for uni tuition fees?
    No fees at all
    23.86%
    Less than £3,000 a year
    18.97%
    £3,000 a year
    32.37%
    £6,000 a year
    14.38%
    £9,000 a year
    6.06%
    More than £9,000 a year
    4.36%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonm25)
    No fees in Scotland is the best thing, I don't think id be able to afford going to uni if it wasn't free.. Neither would some of my friends. I think we are incredibly lucky
    Everyone can afford it, you get loans which cover the costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    You're now in charge of the UK's university funding policy. Congratulations!

Your first decision is to set the ceiling for university tuition fees. So what's the new limit?
    £3000.

Also increase the funding for living costs so that working class kids aren't put off because they feel like they can't afford it. Put a cap on the amount universities can charge for their cheapest single occupancy accommodation. For some universities it is ridiculously expensive. A room in a shared flat with a shared bathroom and kitchen should not cost more than £100 per week. If a university chooses to have only ensuite accommodation, the cap stands at £100.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Free for traditional academic degrees ....
    Around £10000 without funding from the taxpayer in the form of student loans for anything else.

the reason fees came in was the funding of all these Mickey Mouse degrees that sprung up in the last 20 years or so
    Micky Mouse degrees like what? Early childhood studies that trains people for the early years workforce?

Don't forget that vocational degrees have a higher employment rate than traditional academic degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    The problem is that a "no fees" policy would lead to more and more people matriculating and later graduating which is only going to perpetuate the problem of degree inflation. Anything that is free tends to be exploited and over-used.
    However surely we should not be accepting people into university based on how much money they have, we should accept them on their academic capability. If low fees leads to the problem of to high degree inflation, then we should tighten entry requirements. There are people of very intelligent and degree deserving people who may not be able to afford to go to uni and many undeserving oafs who will just buy there way in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katty3)
    Micky Mouse degrees like what? Early childhood studies that trains people for the early years workforce?

Don't forget that vocational degrees have a higher employment rate than traditional academic degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then you pay for it because as a taxpayer do not wish to pay for these.

ReputationRep:
    Higher.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gender Studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rhiannonm25)
    No fees in Scotland is the best thing, I don't think id be able to afford going to uni if it wasn't free.. Neither would some of my friends. I think we are incredibly lucky
    However in comparison to the rest of the UK higher education is dropping in terms of quality in Scotland. Anyone can afford to go to uni as you only pay back the loan if you can afford to do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    Gender Studies.
    I thought that was an extra-curriculum activity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I thought that was an extra-curriculum activity!
    It's a masters option at several unis as it turns out so not undergraduate. But still.

ReputationRep:
    Lower tuition fees =:
    - Less funding for universities --> lower quality of pretty much everything
    - Less competitive --> anyone can get a degree if they're not as good because universities will be desperate to take anyone that'll pay
    - Courses are more crowded because they need more people to get the same amount of funding.

Plus, people for whom it matters probably won't end up paying their student loan back anyway, so it's really nothing to worry about. The government are pretty much still paying for it all anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spoderman14)
    Lower tuition fees =:
    - Less competitive --> anyone can get a degree if they're not as good because universities will be desperate to take anyone that'll pay
    - Courses are more crowded because they need more people to get the same amount of funding.

Plus, people for whom it matters probably won't end up paying their student loan back anyway, so it's really nothing to worry about. The government are pretty much still paying for it all anyway.
    Nice name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spoderman14)
    Lower tuition fees =:

Not really it generally means the general taxpayer funds it rather than the students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Then you pay for it because as a taxpayer do not wish to pay for these.
    What about people who can't afford to pay for it because they come from working class families.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Whatever it costs really. Doesn't make a difference to me if it is how it is now or more similar to the nordic countries or Germany as long as we don't adopt the American system of tuition fees and funding.

ReputationRep:
    What about people who can't afford to pay for it because they come from working class families.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Academic degrees should be free (they always were)

If you want to do a degree in Turf-grass Science, or Dairy Herd Management, or Football Studies etc and you come from a poor family then you simply do not do them.

I cannot see why the tax payer has to fund these.

(by the way the ridiculous sounding degrees I mention above are not made up ... they exist and the taxpayer pays for students to do these)

ReputationRep:
    £3,000 would be fair, £1,000 per term. This sum would be an incentive to study and do well, it is still a loan, and not too overboard in strangling you with a huge debt before you start working.

Also, lets be honest, is uni really worth more per term, you virtually self teach yourself and you are only looking at 6 months of study time per academic year anyway, after you take away the Christmas and Easter months and then June to September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Academic degrees should be free (they always were)

If you want to do a degree in Turf-grass Science, or Dairy Herd Management, or Football Studies etc and you come from a poor family then you simply do not do them.

I cannot see why the tax payer has to fund these.

(by the way the ridiculous sounding degrees I mention above are not made up ... they exist and the taxpayer pays for student to do these)
    Those are probably modules. It is very unfair to dismiss all poor kids (who are the most unlikely to go to university anyway) from doing what you consider "unworthy" degrees.

These could include early years education public health.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Free for STEM, 3k for semi-good degrees like English, History and 9k for mickey-mouse- music and the sort.
    Also grants for better unis i.e: top 10 unis for a course all get 2k free scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RiskVsReward)
    Free for STEM, 3k for semi-good degrees like English, History and 9k for mickey-mouse- music and the sort.
    Also grants for better unis i.e: top 10 unis for a course all get 2k free scholarship.
    Top 10 by what measurement?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.