Is Martial Arts pointless for women? Watch

RulesforRadicals
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by anitax)
I think theres a krav maga place in leeds where I live. How do u tell if a place is good?
You have to be critical really.

If it's some ex-special forces, ex-bodyguard or some guy who has had to fight in his life, he's probably more worth listening to than some guy who did the 3 day instructor course, but is just some bored middle class dad who teaches in his spare time.

Also, I'm not saying that they should throw you in with full contact sparring every week; getting smacked around isn't really helpful to you as a person, but there needs to be some level of training against a fully non-compliant partner.
Ya Dunno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
which martial arts do u do? are they good?
I used to do Jeet Kune Do when I was younger. As a way to defend myself against the school bully in my class.

It did work the guy left me alone, after I punched so hard his face turned purple.

But I stopped training for a while now. But this thread is giving the urge to get back to Jeet Kune Do again.
jackien1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Female, 5"0, I've been doing aikido for about 5 months. Don't know if it'll come in handy in a real situation but it makes me feel more confident. Plus I've learned wrist locks and stuff.
kkboyk
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
5 foot 2.

Stop making me laugh. :lol:
I haven't said anything funny yet. You're just easily amused :unimpressed:
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kkboyk)
I haven't said anything funny yet. You're just easily amused :unimpressed:
That is a known fact. I give hope to those who's jokes are pretty dead.
Ya Dunno
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No offence taken :lol: I'm pretty light so anyone bigger and heavier can take advantage tbh
Oh right. So I guess the height and weight really does make a difference?

I think it also depends on what form of Martial arts you choose to partake in.

I used to do Jeet Kune Do and it I found it useful against the bigger guys in my class.
anitax
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
If you are really focused on being prepared for getting attacked then I don't think martial arts are the best thing and I say that as someone who loves tae kwon do.

First I think the best self defence in not getting into a dangerous situation. Second I think it's verbal de-escalation. Third I think it's running like your life depends on it. And fourth I think it's about physical defence.
Im from Bradford so I know the first 2 already haha.. but im not sure if knowing any more would really be useful as Im skinny

For the physical aspect you will benefit from being able to throw a good punch but not really any more advanced martial art stuff, it's not like a film, I'd not be doing jumping reverse turning kicks and split kicks on the street. But the real important bit is how you respond in such a pressured situation, you'd probably be as scared as you've ever been in your life, you'd be shaking, your heart would be pounding, you'd not be thinking right.

I know a guy who does self defence training based upon getting people to respond to that stress, he's done it with lots of people who are black belts (even beyond first degree black belt) in various martial arts and under that pressure they're can't do relatively basic techniques. He films it because people often don't even remember how they responded because their brain is in super stress mode.

So to learn real self defence, you need to find the sort of self defence school/training that doesn't just teach you a few nice hold releases, but will create a stress situation too so you learn to be able to apply it in a realistic situation. You don't do that in martial arts classes and it's even rare in classes focused on self defence.
yeah Id probably be really scared if someone attacked me!

are self defence schools that teach you the stress thing rare?
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
I meant these ones that have stress training.
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, I must have been unclear.

Those stress courses are rare in general so no, if someone comes into your uni odds are they will be doing the useless/makes people feel better stuff. Assume all self defence courses are **** unless you have good reason to think otherwise

ETA:
are self defence schools that teach you the stress thing rare?
so you see the above, you replied while I typed
BookBird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I want to learn martial arts so I can walk around with the assurance that I could break someone's jaw, just for the heck of it. Power. Strength.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That is a known fact. I give hope to those who's jokes are pretty dead.
So you're like Jesus?
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RulesforRadicals)
Have done, but not currently.

More than one in fact

Honestly, most Tae Kwon Do/Karate who people dance around like **** in their brown belts would get destroyed, even worse for a 60kg woman. Judo is decent for a guy tbh, but you really do need to be strong and teaching people that they can fight using technique rather than physical strength, is actually pretty damn irresponsible. The main limitation with Judo being that because it's a sport, you'll get paired with people of a similar weight, height, sex etc.

The best thing for a girl would be something really dirty like Krav Maga or Systema, but the quality control can be fairly ****ty in this country.
If a Krav Maga expert and a Systema expert went head to head, who do you think would win? They both sound like good ways to defend yourself
elen90
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I do aikido as a 5'6/7 female - not because I really believe that it's going to help me defend myself one day (in fact, the sensei's #1 advice is to RUN AWAY), but because it's hella fun to tumble around and look cool. Plus, swords.

It isn't pointless if you want a fun activity that will teach you the value of perseverance, self-discipline and confidence. My reflexes have improved greatly since I started around five years ago as well as my core muscle strength, and overall endurance.

And it's always nice to be able to annoy friends and family by jabbing at their pressure points to cause arm spasming
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
Yeah, that's what I thought you meant, I must have been unclear.

Those stress courses are rare in general so no, if someone comes into your uni odds are they will be doing the useless/makes people feel better stuff. Assume all self defence courses are **** unless you have good reason to think otherwise

ETA:

so you see the above, you replied while I typed
OK thanks. Yeah really in karate the only useful stuff to learn was how to punch properly and then the blocks. Beyond white belt it was pointless like this upper block like as if I was defending from one of the TMNT's doing some weird jumping punch or some wrist flick thing. Stuff like disarming (as in both weapons as well as their ability to fight, no not breaking bones) would've been useful but it was mostly looking pretty.

The stress thing would be pretty important for me because of my anxiety issues.
RulesforRadicals
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
If a Krav Maga expert and a Systema expert went head to head, who do you think would win? They both sound like good ways to defend yourself
The Systema expert would probably be too drunk or busy trying to steal a slice of Ukraine
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The Systema expert would probably be too drunk or busy trying to steal a slice of Ukraine
Russians are hardcore though; they probably could do that and still fight :rofl:
RulesforRadicals
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
Russians are hardcore though; they probably could do that and still fight :rofl:
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/All...f6_5510227.jpg

They derive their strength from their expert squatting skillz
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/All...f6_5510227.jpg

They derive their strength from their expert squatting skillz
Such class
Much expensive
Wow
Very hardcore
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Vikingninja)
OK thanks. Yeah really in karate the only useful stuff to learn was how to punch properly and then the blocks. Beyond white belt it was pointless like this upper block like as if I was defending from one of the TMNT's doing some weird jumping punch or some wrist flick thing. Stuff like disarming (as in both weapons as well as their ability to fight, no not breaking bones) would've been useful but it was mostly looking pretty.

The stress thing would be pretty important for me because of my anxiety issues.
I'm not convinced blocks are that useful even. I did some demo of it with a woman I train with who's 5ft 50kg, in pads so we didn't hurt each other, and I just over power her. Like if I strike towards, her high block will just hit her head because she can't hold up against my strike. If I punch her, her middle block barely knocks my punch of course, I'd not get as good a hit but I'd still get my hand in to grab her.

It also needs to be like a reflex, you need to be able to block without thinking to be able to use it effectively which takes a long time, especially when you need to do it that quick with full strength

I do disarming, take downs, general self defence stuff within my tae kwon do class though strictly speaking it's not in the curriculum until black belt but my instructor likes to teach it. You get martial arts classes that do like that, just a bit of more practical stuff along the way. But it's still the problem of no dealing with the panic.

You do get some benefits from longer term martial arts training. Like I can punch a lot harder than any white belt my size can because my technique has kept improving. But it's far from efficient learning if self defence is what you care about
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A lot of people don't know what they're talking about in this thread.

OP what situation would you want to defend yourself in?
Vikingninja
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
I'm not convinced blocks are that useful even. I did some demo of it with a woman I train with who's 5ft 50kg, in pads so we didn't hurt each other, and I just over power her. Like if I strike towards, her high block will just hit her head because she can't hold up against my strike. If I punch her, her middle block barely knocks my punch of course, I'd not get as good a hit but I'd still get my hand in to grab her.

It also needs to be like a reflex, you need to be able to block without thinking to be able to use it effectively which takes a long time, especially when you need to do it that quick with full strength

I do disarming, take downs, general self defence stuff within my tae kwon do class though strictly speaking it's not in the curriculum until black belt but my instructor likes to teach it. You get martial arts classes that do like that, just a bit of more practical stuff along the way. But it's still the problem of no dealing with the panic.

You do get some benefits from longer term martial arts training. Like I can punch a lot harder than any white belt my size can because my technique has kept improving. But it's far from efficient learning if self defence is what you care about
Yeah if someone is stronger than you and you just stand still then yeah would just go through. Would need to move around then. My karate instructor just kept with the curriculum and sessions would be pretty much just be doing what is at each belt and just perform that going down a hall. To progress you just need to do some routine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (49)
18.77%
Labour (106)
40.61%
Liberal Democrats (53)
20.31%
Green Party (16)
6.13%
Brexit Party (7)
2.68%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (4)
1.53%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.92%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)