Turn on thread page Beta

The best example why the left love Islam watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RulesforRadicals)
    He's not at all excusing Trumps hatred of Muslims, he is asking why people only suddenly wanted to ban Trump from the UK for hate speech after he attacked Muslims, when he has been attacking loads of other minority groups faced no reaction at all for doing such a thing.

Trump was allowed to be racist

Trump was allowed to be sexist

Trump was allowed to be homophobic

Trump was not allowed to be anti-Muslim

Why?

It was more about his posts on here in genera as opposed to this thread.

Regarding Trump, that comment didn't surprise me so I paid no attention. Maybe it's because he wanted to ban a entire group? Did he just say racist/homophobic/etc stuff before, but not say to ban them? Idk, I've not really kept track of what he's been saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gears265)
    Oh a ridiculous ideology that you oppose but your leaders like Corbyn would happily address a room where women and men are forced to sit separately. That makes sense.
    Corbyn's not my leader, no one is. That said, i'm pretty sure right wingers would do the same in for instance the orthodox Jewish community.

Left wing thought is about challenging institutions which perpetuate inequality, including religion. Plenty of left wing muslims are becoming increasingly mainstream and advocatative of a more liberal secular islam-for instance Sadiq Khan championed Gay Marriage, Majid Nawaaz condemning Islamists of all persuasions etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    It was more about his posts on here in genera as opposed to this thread.

Regarding Trump, that comment didn't surprise me so I paid no attention. Maybe it's because he wanted to ban a entire group? Did he just say racist/homophobic/etc stuff before, but not say to ban them? Idk, I've not really kept track of what he's been saying.
    He called them all rapists and murderers and said he would build a 2,000 mile long wall to keep them all out.

It's pretty extreme stuff.

ReputationRep:
    The petition to ban Trump from the UK started before the comments towards Muslims.

After him insulting Mexicans, women, black African Americans, gay individuals, disabled individuals, various nations across the world and so on, the left still did not care.

But when he says something against Muslims the left come in their swarms to sign the petition. This shows that they rush to the defence of Islam and have a special relationship with it.

Why does the comments towards Islam bring out the emotion in the left but not insulting comments towards anything (or anyone) else?
    I'm not on the left and I signed the petition. I dislike Islam, and my views are more closer to Thatcherism or Powellism.

I just really hate Trump. He is the enemy, as is the USA. So we need him out. Gotta start somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    no, the left love islam because the left are dogmatic egalitarians, and muslims look like racial/ethnic minorities (even though religion and race are distinct), so to criticise islam is basically, to them, criticising their race, and that therefore becomes racism. racism =/= against egalitarianism (unless it's against the white man, of course)
    feminists (who also are liberals) can't criticise the *actual* rape culture of the middle east because of this fact. they generalise all muslims as arabs, and all arabs as muslims.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)
    Donald Trump has been a source of controversy and derision for many years, and has been repeatedly criticised for the garbage that comes out his mouth by democrats and moderate republicans, so please stop making stuff up.

Trump didn't just insult Muslims, he wants to drive a truck through values that are central to Western society like freedom of religion, limitations on government, and privacy, which, coming from someone a couple of votes away from the American presidency, is quite a frightening thought.
    But then why wait until he made comments about Muslims. Why not his comments on Mexicans, which includes calling them rapists, drug dealers and murders, along with his plan to deport 15 million full American citizens of Mexican descent (who's families emigrated illegal). Where was the call to ban him then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Corbyn's not my leader, no one is. That said, i'm pretty sure right wingers would do the same in for instance the orthodox Jewish community.

Left wing thought is about challenging institutions which perpetuate inequality, including religion. Plenty of left wing muslims are becoming increasingly mainstream and advocatative of a more liberal secular islam-for instance Sadiq Khan championed Gay Marriage, Majid Nawaaz condemning Islamists of all persuasions etc.
    Really because most reports indicate more fundermentalist and extremist beliefs about Islam are found within younger Muslims.

For example death for apostacy is support by a larger number of younger Muslims under the age of 24 and between the ages of 25 and 34 (36% and 37% respectively which is over a third) than Muslims 35 or older. Same with the belief homosexuality should be illegal (71% and and 65% respectively) and admiration for groups terrorist groups like al Qaeda (with 13% of under 24 Muslims admiring them, which is the largest group of support of any age group)

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...20jan%2007.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    Really because most reports indicate more fundermentalist and extremist beliefs about Islam are found within younger Muslims.

For example death for apostacy is support by a larger number of younger Muslims under the age of 24 and between the ages of 25 and 34 (36% and 37% respectively which is over a third) than Muslims 35 or older. Same with the belief homosexuality should be illegal (71% and and 65% respectively) and admiration for groups terrorist groups like al Qaeda (with 13% of under 24 Muslims admiring them, which is the largest group of support of any age group)

http://www.policyexchange.org.uk/ima...20jan%2007.pdf
    Excellent link and rep given, and I agree strongly with what I've read of it, particularly:

'It is not Islamism that posesthe greatest threat to Western values orBritish identity but the mixture of self loathingand confusion that reigns in oursociety more generally'

but I don't what your point is.

Yes of course there's work to do. I do think that youth demographic will change as essentially I'd say that a lot of them are just going through an essentially edgy phase that whilst dangerous is not unique to Muslims which seems to be what is mentioned in the report which was written, by the sound of their names by muslims!

ReputationRep:
    From the left: "I am pretty the sure the right would do it so that is why we do it all the time"

You are only digging a hole for yourself
    Not really- it's disgraceful from either side of the political spectrum- the inconsistency is on your part.

ReputationRep:
    You know that thing about how the right-wingers are obsessed and have to start a new thread every day about Muslims, feminism or "the left"....

ReputationRep:
    Excellent link and rep given, and I agree strongly with what I've read of it, particularly:

'It is not Islamism that posesthe greatest threat to Western values orBritish identity but the mixture of self loathingand confusion that reigns in oursociety more generally'

but I don't what your point is.

Yes of course there's work to do. I do think that youth demographic will change as essentially I'd say that a lot of them are just going through an essentially edgy phase that whilst dangerous is not unique to Muslims which seems to be what is mentioned in the report which was written, by the sound of their names by muslims!
    Sorry should have explained myself more. It was me doubting an increase in secular and liberal beliefs and interpretations of Islam. Nawaaz and Khan a both of older age groups so I don't see them demonstrating much of a point in regard to younger generations. (Not saying younger generations are more important just that they will ultimately come to replace Nawaaz and Khan and the like when they get older). I don't particularly hold your hope things will change. As you say there is work to do and I don't think deradicalisation will occur if left to do it by itself. I believe it is going to take a combined which includes the government. And for the most part a lot of people think such a view is racist/islamaphobic/bigoted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garfeeled)
    Sorry should have explained myself more. It was me doubting an increase in secular and liberal beliefs and interpretations of Islam. Nawaaz and Khan a both of older age groups so I don't see them demonstrating much of a point in regard to younger generations. (Not saying younger generations are more important just that they will ultimately come to replace Nawaaz and Khan and the like when they get older). I don't particularly hold your hope things will change. As you say there is work to do and I don't think deradicalisation will occur if left to do it by itself. I believe it is going to take a combined which includes the government. And for the most part a lot of people think such a view is racist/islamaphobic/bigoted.
    I agree with this generally- but I think this is a problem reflected in wider society too- the consequences of economic downturns essentially reflecting on the rise of less pleasant political narratives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    You know that thing about how the right-wingers are obsessed and have to start a new thread every day about Muslims, feminism or "the left"....
    Don't forget how the EU is an evil dictatorship

ReputationRep:
    THIS

Islam is a disgusting, ridiculous Ideology (as is all religion, but the Abrahamic ones in particular) . But so is Racism. What some parts of the left and the right have fallen to is using one to try and defeat the other. It doesn't work.
    Agreed.
    The right are quick to accuse the left of living Islam and the left are quick to accuse the right of being racist.

The majority of both are not.
    I much prefer the intellectual right like Hanaan rather than the populist right of trump/farage or on a lesser level Cameron/Osborne.

ReputationRep:
    You can oppose radical Islam and racism at the same time. It's exactly what I do.

Quite why both the far right and far left think it has to be one or the other is bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    It's not that it's worse, it's that it's been expressed in the form of a hilariously stupid, impossible to enforce policy that would affect 1.6 billion people. It stands out because in this instance, his bigotry has solidified into something totally outlandish and ridiculous.
    1.6 billion Muslims aren't all trying to immigrate to America. In 2009 only 120000 people from Islamic nations became legal residents in America. Donald trump wants to deport 15 million legal residents of Mexican decent out of America. Why is that not worse. It affects more people, puts lives in danger (whilst the other doesn't do so. Not directly at least), they are already legal residents (have been from birth)l

ReputationRep:
    So you're suggesting its okay to demonise approx. 30% of the worlds population?
    All those people are out to get you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khadijaalimalik)
    Humans make mistakes they all deserve a second chance, if they truly made their bed they wouldn't have budged to come back !

If i had known about the petition earlier I would have definitely responded.
    Apart from the fact that they are a danger to national security. These people aren't petty criminals, they joined a terrorist organisation and ignorance really isn't a justification. Their crimes are report every where, they joined knowing about the slavery and beheadings, knowing about the genocides and other crimes. Isis our effectively our generations nazis. The bigger they expand the more people they will kill and the more lives they will ruin. And not only that Isis have out right expressed the desire to commit terrorist attacks on British soil.

If they return they should return to their rightful place, in prison.

ReputationRep:
    "they have a special relationship with it"
    yh, it's a shocker how MUSLIMS would have a "special relationship" with ISLAM

ReputationRep:
    The inconsistency on my part? Haha, those are big words, but when i've touched a nerve and exposed things I am not surprised
    You keep patting yourself on the back mate. Someones got to.

Islamist tolerance is not limited to those on the left- which my examples above highlight. Genuine Left wing thinkers have on the whole been consistently militantly secular if not atheistic- its you right wingers that are tolerant of religion and its more conservative elements.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.