Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it really that bad to not invite extended family to a wedding?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Hopefully I will attend a wedding like that at some point in my life.

What about other traditions? Do you have bridesmaids, wedding cake sort of thing etc?
    We have the lot

ReputationRep:
    i want a really small wedding with only our closest family and friends

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it's bad. Its personal preference. I literally asked my mum if she would find it weird if I didn't invite my extended family to my wedding and she said no. Over the years we've been invited to different extended family occasions , the majority of the time I have to repeatedly ask who everyone is lmao. Its nice that they include us however my immediate family rarely reach out to them and I doubt I'll include them on my wedding day (no hard feelings).
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It seems like you can't please everyone when planning a wedding and at the end of the day, the only thing that matters is what the couple want. Everyone else can like it or lump it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's your wedding, you invite whoever you want.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ what a *****... your mum did nothing wrong and the cousin is an entitled whiny brat.

If I had a cousin who I never even saw and who would never even keep in contact unless she wanted something say something like that to me, and then go on to post pathetic passive aggressive facebook posts I'd give a good dose of public shaming and then delete her. Have no time in my life for people like that regardless of whose blood runs through their veins.

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Of my family only my parents and sister would be allowed to attend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    My mum and stepdad would maybe have had a bigger wedding and invited all the extended if they had money and more time to prepare for the wedding but the wedding plans have basically been rushed as my stepdads Parkinson's is getting worse plus he's starting to take full blown strokes now as opposed to mini ones that he used to always take so they need to get married and get all their finances fixed in case anything happens he has also lost a lot of confidence since his tremors are worse now and that he's lost a lot of mobility and strength down one side from his last stroke and he's starting to get confused easily and things like that so he doesn't have the confidence to be around many people, especially extended family he barely knows or has never met

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really sorry to hear about all this It must be tough on you and your family.

Just do what is best for you and those close to you and don't let anyone else get you down, they're not worth the stress.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm really sorry to hear about all this It must be tough on you and your family.

Just do what is best for you and those close to you and don't let anyone else get you down, they're not worth the stress.
    Jesus Christ what a *****... your mum did nothing wrong and the cousin is an entitled whiny brat.

If I had a cousin who I never even saw and who would never even keep in contact unless she wanted something say something like that to me, and then go on to post pathetic passive aggressive facebook posts I'd give a good dose of public shaming and then delete her. Have no time in my life for people like that regardless of whose blood runs through their veins.
    Thanks for post your posts, what you said was spot on. Hard to believe my cousin is 46 by the way she goes on! I hate family like that who are all interested in being family when they can get something like a wedding or party out of it but never want to know you any other day of the year. So hard not to publically shame her as this is not the first time she's made these kind of remarks. Better just deleting her and the rest of that side of the family. They never bother with us anyway. Even when my papa takes ill (who is on the transplant list) or my stepdad, all they do is like the status but if their dad takes ill, my gran (his sister) is on the phone instantly to make sure everything is OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Thanks for post your posts, what you said was spot on. Hard to believe my cousin is 46 by the way she goes on! I hate family like that who are all interested in being family when they can get something like a wedding or party out of it but never want to know you any other day of the year. So hard not to publically shame her as this is not the first time she's made these kind of remarks. Better just deleting her and the rest of that side of the family. They never bother with us anyway. Even when my papa takes ill (who is on the transplant list) or my stepdad, all they do is like the status but if their dad takes ill, my gran (his sister) is on the phone instantly to make sure everything is OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It just comes down to the fact some people are just selfish and generally crappy people. It has very little to do with whose blood they share, just who they are as a person.

Hope you manage to put all this behind you and hope you have a lovely wedding.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It just comes down to the fact some people are just selfish and generally crappy people. It has very little to do with whose blood they share, just who they are as person.

Hope you manage to put all this behind you and hope you have a lovely wedding.
    Yeah exactly, spot on! Thanks! That means a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SYYAAM97)
    Why do females feel the need to call other females *****es??
    I call other females *****es if they sound like *****es. It wasn't an unreasonable comment given what OP said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Precious Illusions)
    I call other females *****es if they sound like *****es. It wasn't an unreasonable comment given what OP said.
    Smh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SYYAAM97)
    Smh
    K.

ReputationRep:
    In general I think you should invite extended family to this sort of thing. If you don't see each other often, that's all the more reason to do so. Your mum's reasons for not doing so are understandable, though.

I think the cousin had a legitimate complaint, but handled it in the wrong way, and in any event should have accepted your mum's explanation when she gave it.

If she hadn't responded with the facebook statuses you'd describe, I'd want to smooth things over. However, I cannot stand passive aggression like that, so I'd probably just unfollow her and cut her off unless/until she made contact.

I haven't read through the entire post, so this might be out of context; but I feel that you should simply discard of the ideas of good and bad. Just do whatever makes you happy.

Is the happiness that you derive from the lack of her presence at the wedding minus the happiness that you (possibly) lose as a result of her dissatisfaction with the lack of invitation greater than the happiness that you (possibly) derive from the lack of her dissatisfaction minus the happiness that you lose as a result of her presence at the wedding? If the answer is in the positive, then simply do not invite her. If it is not, then do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks everyone for your replies. She hasn't said anything else but I've his my future posts from her and her daughter and unfollowed them so I don't see their posts. Like a poster said earlier, full on deleting them might cause further arguments. Its bad though that I do have to hide all my posts and all that **** just because of her pettiness, that's really getting to me. I'll be posting a lot about the wedding I imagine as its less than two months away and obviously I'm excited. It's the first wedding I've been to, I'm giving my mum away with my papa, I'm her only bridesmaid and she asked me to design her cake so it's a big deal to me but she would no doubt write sly digs or think I'm only posting things to 'rub it into her' which I'm not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Another passive aggressive post today - "looks like I'll need to plan a night out then since I've not been invited to any! LOL"

What a bloody child! Like I said, I've unfollowed her so it didn't come up on my page but my mum deleted her this morning and saw this before she did. Saying that though, if mum can delete her then so can I now. All this trouble just because of a wedding. Weddings really do bring out the worse in some people -_-
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Meh, if they ain't close they ain't close. They're making a big fuss over nothing I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tell her why or just ignore her.

Family members aren't always worthy of being invited to a wedding.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.