Turn on thread page Beta

Honestly, why do people even stress about getting a 2:1 in 2016? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TutuBEng)
    I was asking you a question, not stating that it was fact. You stated that I didn't have any work experience.

Probably best if you stop replying to this thread now that you're throwing out insults.
    I haven't insulted you... yet.

Give yourself a shake and get more proactive and optimistic about your future. Believing it's all going to be doom and gloom may well make it so.

ReputationRep:
    I just think it's being realistic. The rewards of getting a 2:1 to me in the modern world don't seem worth the effort.

In all likelihood I'll try my best to get a 2:1, and I'm just having a bit of a moan, but it does seem futile.
    Well of course, trying your best is what its all really about threre's nothing more you can do than that. A 2.2 certainly isn't the end of the world only the snobby people will act like it is but you want to be putting yourself in the best position possible when applying for jobs

ReputationRep:
    I don't do any of those things. Funny though.

I have a load of work experience, I'm a very hard worker. I just find it very difficult to work hard at something when it seems like there is very little reward.

The further I've moved through University, the more people I've seen end up on the graduate scrapheap, the less reward I observe.
    I've done all three of those things in moderation alongside a reasonable amount of work and my marks are well into the 70s with a semester to go. Can't say I've ever broken sweat, although I do realise engineering students have 5-6 more hours contact time per week than use science students.

The competent students on my course are starting to getting PhD or graduate job offers. So I don't think they are looking to live with their parents and work in Asda. More than 40% of graduates are in graduate jobs, a figure which I suspect rises for those at better universities doing more economically desirable degrees. I also suspect that yourself, with an engineering degree and plenty of work experience, will not be working in Asda while living with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    I see. That's annoying.

I'd say that I probably don't see myself ending up in Engineering. I've found it pretty dull to be honest and this semester is probably the worst in terms of workload which is why I'm so pessimistic about the whole 2:1/2:2 ordeal.

Well done with where you're at and good luck with the MSc.
    Cheers! I hope you find something. Maybe if you feel that way you can think about something in finance or an industry with more jobs in the UK (UK sucks for engineering compared to germany right?) just to bring in some money!
    They will value your numerical and analytical skills so it's still worth it to go for a 2.1.
    My sister's boyfriend has made a tonne of money working in insurance and he graduated with a 2.2 in sports science.

ReputationRep:
    There's no difference between a 1st or a 2:1 in terms of getting a graduate job. Employers don't care.
    Although i dont know which field you are going into, however economics, law, psychology in particular, a first will appeal lot more to an employer than a 2:1, but maybe im wrong.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I mean, everyone graduates with a 2:1 anyway and still spends months unemployed, living with parents, before getting a job in Asda?

I'm in my final year of Engineering where the difference in the amount of work I'd need to put in to ensure getting a 2:1 is huge compared to a 2:2. I kind of just think, why bother? If I'm going to be unemployed anyway it seems like I may as well just not stress, chill and get a 2:2? They both seem the same to me in terms of uselessness.
    You can definitely get a graduate job with a 2:2, especially so in engineering, but overall a 2:1 or above opens up much more opportunities.

You seem pretty pessimistic about the workload and it's quite normal to feel like that when doing an engineering degree because it's a tough degree. But if you work hard, if you put in the effort you'll come out on the other side with a good degree.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends on the field, but if a 2:1 isn't sufficient to get a good offer, it may well be required to get the graduate degree that will attract a better offer.

ReputationRep:
    It's not negative it's just being realistic. It is well known in the modern that most people who get 2:1's don't get graduate level jobs.
    I did.

ReputationRep:
    It just doesn't seem worth the effort for such a small window of opportunity. Most people don't get grad-level jobs even with a 2:1.
    Why even obtain a degree?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This as all I've gleaned from this post:
    - OP is lazy
    - OP doesn't want to rise above the challenge of both securing the grade he/she needs to get to the destination they want and planning out their career trajectory
    - OP is making excuses
    - OP will, if they don't take action, probably end up making nothing out of their higher education experience

What has to be done:
    - OP needs to stop complaining on TSR
    - OP needs to knuckle down and secure the grade they are capable of getting
    - OP needs to think about what job/career path they ultimately want to go down

FYI, the percentage in graduate level jobs for STEM grads is a lot higher than 20%. It's just up to you to seek out those opportunities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There are opportunities a 2:2 closes though these opportunities are often closed to the more mediocre 2:1 students anyway.

Honestly, I'd say a 2:1 is worth the effort. It's no promise of a job but it will help your future applications for the next ten years. I graduated into the financial crisis in 09 where everything was thin on the ground. Most of us struggled with underemployment and some were unemployed. The wealthy did unfunded masters or travelling. 6 years on we are all either teachers or on £40-100k. It starts bad but once you're in you can make something of it... And you can make more with it if you have a 2:1

ReputationRep:
    OP is nuts

ReputationRep:
    Yes exactly this! when you are in uni you're in a bubble you have no idea how the real world works. It all comes down to experience and what skills you could offer employers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    If you don't mind spending all that tuition fees and having your end goal set to achieving a Desmond then uni probably isn't for you.

My friend graduated with a Desmond and she hasn't found a job in 2 years. Why make life harder for yourself? Getting a 2:1 won't guarantee you getting a job but it's the minimum requirement for most jobs, so ideally you would want to aim for that
    Omdayz what degree did your friend study? And why hasn't she got her self a non-graduate job
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Omdayz what degree did your friend study? And why hasn't she got her self a non-graduate job
    Business Computing

I don't know! Didn't graduate with a good grade so her options are very limited

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but only something like 15-20% of graduates get grad-level jobs.
    So put yourself in that category.

So much loser talk :no:

ReputationRep:
    You just need to stop making excuses and get on with your work m8.

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to justify reasons to be lazy.

ReputationRep:
    On my course, that's not true at all.
    I mean on the grading scale, so people shouldn't feel terrible to get one. I did, but years after I now know it's a waste of energy feeling like you failed and it won't get you anywhere. Unfortunately many companies polarise degree classes because it's an opportunity to reduce the number of applicants they have to consider. But I did get a job before which was between me and someone else with better grades, and it was because they saw me as a good fit and I demonstrated that I would commit to learning.

For your sake, you should get the best you can, and that demonstrates your work ethic above all else.

ReputationRep:
    While some see laziness in OP, I detect a faint whiff of depression. Might want to have that looked at in case there are some fairly simple things one can do to correct it.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.