Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you manipulate people? watch

• Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    Oh, do you mean you get people to do things for you by makisng them pity you?

Oh I'm kind of insane. I do it through my use of language or how I am. I can make people like me relatively easily without feeling any emotional attachment myself and so then they want to do things for me/let things slide etc (although manipulation cannot and should not be limited to these two things). I also realised that I often dangle myself in front of people (men) as something they want but can't have. This is awful and now that I have become consciously aware of it, I'm going to make a very conscious effort to stop. I'm nice to everyone and can be charismatic when I want to be, but I can also be the opposite and this induces a kind of reaction.
    Yeah

Ahhhh yeah I get you - I do a bit of that too now I'm thinking about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    I've read that a couple of times but I don't quite understand your point
    Consider flattery:

'You look very nice in that dress' followed by a request 'Could you do this for me?'

If I am suspect to flattery because I have a low opinion of myself, I will probably be easily manipulated into doing your request for you.

If I am not suspect to flattery because I already know I look damn good and frankly giving me a compliment entitles you to nothing, you won't be able to manipulate me.

ReputationRep:
    Get a friend to fake attack them
    "Rescue" them
    They are now indebted to you forever
    Easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whorace)
    Consider flattery:

'You look very nice in that dress' followed by a request 'Could you do this for me?'

If I am suspect to flattery because I have a low opinion of myself, I will probably be easily manipulated into doing your request for you.

If I am not suspect to flattery because I already know I look damn good and frankly giving me a compliment entitles you to nothing, you won't be able to manipulate me.
    That is manipulation on a very superficial level.

People have emotional investments/insecurities. Whilst these might not always concern such superficial things as their looks etc, they will exist. A manipulator would seek these out and exploit them.

ReputationRep:
    You either can or you can't. It comes naturally to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ATLHustler)
    Being able to easily manipulate people is seen as a characteristic of psychopathy.
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    Manipulation a strong word, more like being persuasive.

Seem nice and charming. Act like you genuinely care. Find their weakness. Understand their body language. Etc etc.
    Ah sh*t...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CantGainWeight)
    i actually manipulate people case by case. i wrote a 3 page manifesto for how i was going to manipulate a girl i met. she was absolutely abominated by me but then i got her to come round to me.
    manipulation is not something i do subconsciously, it is not effortless for me. i am not a psychopath. i feel sympathy all the time. i cry easily. sometimes i show no sympathy towards those who get in my way
    Such sympathy, truly inspirational.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.