The Student Room Group

Why Should Private Schools be abolished??

Scroll to see replies

Good to see the politics of envy is still alive and well. 😊
I find it hilarious that this whole private vs public school thing is such a big deal in the UK. It's really not an issue. There are great public schools, there are trashy private schools. As a parent you just gotta put your kid in the best place you can put them, isn't that the most important thing?
Original post by The Epicurean
That is a valid point. Although some argue that many good and capable teachers who would otherwise be working in the state school system, are taken out of the system by private schools. I guess one needs to weigh up which causes more harm to the state school system

That's true. I suppose that weighs into the wider argument that the government should provide more incentives for people to go into teaching, because then there will be a wider pool of applicants and hopefully more high-quality teachers available. At the moment, teachers' salaries are outrageously low and it's little wonder that private schools, with either higher salaries or simply more generous extras (like meals provided, longer holidays), are more attractive to teachers. All schools - private and state - need teachers, but we have a shortage of teachers as a whole and that is likely to continue until it becomes a more attractive profession.

I think I would still argue that a shortage of school places, with kids (especially poorer kids for whom high travel costs could be near-impossible to afford) being even more uncertain of how far they're going to have to go to attend a school, is more harmful than state schools missing out on the top teachers, though I agree that neither is fair to begin with.
Original post by Underscore__
You're clearly ignorant of private education if that's what you think.

1. Private schools consistently out perform state schools and everyone I know who started in state schools has said that the level of education is higher.
2. Do you realise how few rich people are 'posh' now? Besides most people at private school are middle class
3. I've never been in a state school but that's just obviously not true, private schools have far better facilities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahahahah did you even read what this was in response to? thats not what i think, thats what privately educated people i personally know believe from experience. dont tell me im ignorant if you havent even got the brain power to follow the rest of the thread.
Original post by AceViva
More recently on TSR there have been threads and posts about private schools being abolished. I dont understand why? The private school i go to there is a boy who is on a scholarship and is from quite a deprived area, now he does not really get on with anybody and spends most of his day complaining about "private school posh people" and how it is not fair how people are paying for an education and that they should be abolished. Yet he goes to one -.-

What do you think, are private schools unfair and should they be abolished?

It just maintains a class gap. How are middle/lower class kids with the same IQ as their private school peers able to compete. They can't. It means the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
no, they are not unfair, just because i can afford to pay £30 grand a year for my childs education and you cant doesnt make it 'unfair', the only 'unfair' thing about it, is that if my child got a B, and another child also got a B, my child shouldnt get preference because of the school she went to... with that being said, why the hell not, thats why you pay so much for education, for the pleasure and prestige of being able to say you went to that school

Original post by Failingstudent98
It just maintains a class gap. How are middle/lower class kids with the same IQ as their private school peers able to compete. They can't. It means the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well thats tough really isnt it? no-one said life is meant to be fair, you just have to do what you can with what you have and make the best of it.

And tbh, state-run schools vastly outnumber private schools by far, regardless of your background, work hard, and you'll get places... Unless your unfortunate enough to be in the kind of area that is SO BAD, it can literally dictate the life you live
Reply 46

Posted from TSR Mobile

They work hard and get good results? Also there are many kids in state schools who achieve beyond excellent grades, and kids in private schools failing. Did you even think about what you posted or are you just another communist fueled with envy that some people are better off than others? According to your logic we might aswell all live in a cardboard box so no one is left out.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AceViva
They work hard and get good results? Also there are many kids in state schools who achieve beyond excellent grades, and kids in private schools failing. Did you even think about what you posted or are you just another communist fueled with envy that some people are better off than others? According to your logic we might aswell all live in a cardboard box so no one is left out.

They work no harder then those in state schools. And yes I thought about what I posted. This debate has no answer because depending on your morals and beliefs the conclusion differs. I don't envy others because I know my upbringing has made me who I am, however it's ridiculous to ignore the fact in a private school what an average middle class pupil such as myself could achieve is greatly increased. The country is run by the elite, those born and bred in a society of privately educated people. How different would our country be if parliament actually represented the opinion of the general population because they came from the same place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why do we even have private schools?
I've been to a private school and the students there work so so hard to get their grades, like omg they had to do homework from 7 till 9 every night and would be checked on. They are always working so hard! And the days were from 8:40 till 5pm and they were always working so hard in lessons and their frees
Private school will accept near enough everyone from different classes and different backgrounds. It's just not a lot of people are aware of this.
I come from an extremely poor family and I still got in on a bursary and scholarship.
They have so many opportunities it's unbelievable.
however, whilst I was at a private school and was applying for things like work experience I was getting a lot of rejections, since leaving and going to a non private college I have been accepted on everything but one I've applied for.
I don't know if that actually had an impact on it, it could just be a coincidence
Original post by Chelseabebb
I've been to a private school and the students there work so so hard to get their grades, like omg they had to do homework from 7 till 9 every night and would be checked on. They are always working so hard! And the days were from 8:40 till 5pm and they were always working so hard in lessons and their frees
Private school will accept near enough everyone from different classes and different backgrounds. It's just not a lot of people are aware of this.
I come from an extremely poor family and I still got in on a bursary and scholarship.
They have so many opportunities it's unbelievable.
however, whilst I was at a private school and was applying for things like work experience I was getting a lot of rejections, since leaving and going to a non private college I have been accepted on everything but one I've applied for.
I don't know if that actually had an impact on it, it could just be a coincidence

Scholarships are rare, and bursaries only for those who earn very little (not the average state school pupil). From what I've seen state school children work just as hard. 7 till 9 is the normal day as well it's just we do the hours without access to teachers (possibly staying after school or at home).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Private schools in their current state are fundamentally unfair: normally only those in the upper tax bracket can afford them, particularly in areas such as London. As a general rule, private schools produce more successful individuals who are likely to be wealthier, and therefore have their children attend a private school, so the cycle continues. Private schools limit upward social mobility due to the above, but also often mean that the success of a child is determined by the wealth of their parents, inadvertently punishing children from less wealthy backgrounds. However, as others have mentioned, the solution is not to abolish private schools, as the state system would not have the resources to support such an influx of children, instead it is to raise standards in public schools until private schools are no longer necessary.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SnailInAShell123
I believe that private schools should be abolished as it isn't fair that children whose parent's earn above average should have access to a better quality education, just because their parent's are wealthy. Although bursaries and scholarships are available,private schools are still disproportionately made up of those in the upper tax bracket. Why should my parent's success determine the quality of my education, and as a consequence, how successful I am going to be?

Someone who actually agrees with me :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by mercuryman
Why do we even have private schools?

For kids whose parents can afford to privatise their education, whats the problem with that? Or are you just another jealous social justice warrior?

Original post by SnailInAShell123
Private schools in their current state are fundamentally unfair: normally only those in the upper tax bracket can afford them, particularly in areas such as London. As a general rule, private schools produce more successful individuals who are likely to be wealthier, and therefore have their children attend a private school, so the cycle continues. Private schools limit upward social mobility due to the above, but also often mean that the success of a child is determined by the wealth of their parents, inadvertently punishing children from less wealthy backgrounds.

How is it punishing anybody, everyone has the right to a education, the rich chose to put their kids into private schools mostly to avoid the non-sense in some state schools. If your parents cant afford private education you go to a state school work hard etc same as private school kids, most people at my private school work extremely hard to achieve their grades we are not handed grades by paying for them. Also why should parents not be able to provide the best education for their child just because someone else cant afford it? Should we all live in the same size house, drive the same car?

The country is run by the elite, those born and bred in a society of privately educated people. How different would our country be if parliament actually represented the opinion of the general population because they came from the same place.

That would not improve the country having it being run by idiots..
That would not improve the country having it being run by idiots..

It's not intelligence that gets leaders into politics, it's connections. If we all went to the same schools and the Middle class mixed with the upper class, everyone would have the same connections. The leaders would be intelligent and understand what it's like for the average citizen. Just because someone goes to a state school doesn't make them dumb...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ACJHealy
I'd be interested to know where you went to school since many of my experiences have shown standard of drama and drama facilities to very high.

Don't particularly want to share which school I went to but it was more academic and creative subjects very much took a back seat (even the Art teachers told us to focus more on 'proper' subjects) and didn't have a big budget. There are a couple of other private schools in my city with the same attitude towards creative subjects so I just assumed that was the way with most of them, although now I think about it Drama facilities are often good at other private schools. Mine just didn't have Drama as a subject at all.
They shouldn't be abolished. The state system couldn't cope with an influx of kids on such a scale. Other point is, even if they were abolished there would emerge a clear division within the state sector since wealthy and/or middle class parents would move to areas served by better schools so creating similar division but by postcode rather than being able to afford school fees.
As far as being posh is concerned. Well what I can say is that apart from one or two in my year who are quite snotty the majority of us are just regular kids whose parents tend to be from professional backgrounds though there are some pretty wealthy ones too. We also have scholarships and in most cases we are unaware of who is on a scholarship and who is not. It wouldn't make a difference because I think the school would expel any pupil involved in ostracising any other student. Plus they'd be pretty damned unpopular with the rest of us. I've never been to a state school but I do know people who do and seems to me those who aspire to a career involving uni work just as hard as we do. According to the oldies the state sector caters extremely well for the top tier students and those at the bottom with the average kids being left to make the best of it.
In some areas the social problems can be so complex that it doesn't matter how much money is thrown at a school it will continue to perform poorly in exam league tables. As an example one state secondary serving a very disadvantaged area of the city had a higher per capita spend than all the three independent schools charged in fees but failed to rise above second bottom of all local schools. (I know this from my mum)

The subject of educational attainment and opportunity is too complex to be resolved by simply closing private schools.
As for the moronic comments about the 'Darren's and Tracys' - my brother Darren is a hugely talented engineer as well as being a thoroughly decent human being. Your comments are offensive and pig ignorant but say more about the person who typed them than the people they're targeted at.
Reply 57
They shouldn't for two political reasons to begin with:

1) They save the government money on spending further money on education - so therefore benefitting those who are not in private education with governmental resources not so stretched.
2) Private School are often active members within the community, helping to fund other education facilities, such as a local free school and having local schools use our facilities, getting rid of them would see a further stretch in governmental resources, as mentioned beforehand.

I concede that it is unfair that only a limited percentage of the population can afford private schools, but it is unfair to say that going to a private school will result in increased chances of 'success' later in life. Those in either state or private education can be as successful as they wish to be and how hard they are willing to work to succeed. Success comes with work, no matter the background.

I don't think that the arguments against private schools are the real issue here, but how the governments have previously failed the state school system - but this is changing now with acadamisation and the reintroduction of grammar schools (where, may I remind you, many successful people have attended)
Reply 58
Original post by ellie0497
I go to a private school and I don't see the difference between my school and other schools.

Lol
Original post by Beaves1

I concede that it is unfair that only a limited percentage of the population can afford private schools, but it is unfair to say that going to a private school will result in increased chances of 'success' later in life. Those in either state or private education can be as successful as they wish to be and how hard they are willing to work to succeed. Success comes with work, no matter the background.

I will tell you what is unfair, telling hard working people that they are unsuccessful because they are not working hard enough. Hard work DOES NOT = success. That is not how it works. Do not disrespect people from underprivileged backgrounds who consistently fail because the system is set up for them to fail. Do not disrespect those people by claiming they can find success if they work harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending