Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you a registered organ donor? watch

• View Poll Results: Are you a registered organ donor?
    Yes
    61.82%
    No
    38.18%

ReputationRep:
    I haven't..I keep thinking I should
    I give blood very regularly
    I'm on the bone marrow register
    But I haven't allowed them my to take my organs yet

They won't allow me.to.be a platelet donor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    No, because survival of the fittest.
    Actually this.

Would only ever donate anything (blood, organs, time etc) to my own bloodline.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by The_Internet)

They won't allow me.to.be a platelet donor
    I have the same problem, my bmi is well within the healthy range but for my height they expect me to be almost overweight to donate platelets.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I registered, seems like such a waste when they might be able to help someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satanas)
    Actually this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Humans are only where we are today because we cooperate. If you just care about your own blood line, well then welcome to a whole host of genetic illnesses down the line. In survival situations, people tend to survive better as s groups than as individuals. I mean you wish to go down that route

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I have the same problem, my bmi is well within the healthy range but for my height they expect me to be almost overweight to donate platelets.
    I am very overweight

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my family would be comfortable with it so...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Humans are only where we are today because we cooperate. If you just care about your own blood line, well then welcome to a whole host of genetic illnesses down the line. In survival situations, people tend to survive better as s groups than as individuals. I mean you wish to go down that route
    Lol thanks for the daily dose of typical tsr patronising criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks for the daily dose of typical tsr patronising criticism

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry its just that you sounded quite selfish and tried to justify it by using scienc-y words. I figured I'd show you different
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Actually this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would you only accept from your bloodline then? Even if it was life or death?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    I like this response a lot. If I had 10 reps I could give out at once, this post would definitely get it.

ReputationRep:
    My organs are fatally incompatible with humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    lol at the dogmatic sheep that have repped your post.

edit: I repped your post too. Please keep the dogma coming

(Original post by Friar Chris)
    My organs are fatally incompatible with humans.
    Yeah, I don't think a slug's organs would work well in a human body

ReputationRep:
    Which religions are not allowed to donate organs? When I am old enough I am giving blood for sure but don't know about organs.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I'm a registered donor.
    And frankly I think anyone who is willing to take organs from the registry if in need but not willing to give them (barring religious reasons) is an incredibly selfish individual. No, thinking about dying and having your organs removed isn't exactly a happy thought full of rainbows and kittens but people need these organs, there is a massive shortage and I don't think "I'm a bit squeamish" is anywhere near a good enough excuse not to register.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. Although I do remember being asked whether I'd like to become an organ donor when I was filling for my provisional licence

ReputationRep:
    yes, and I'm signed up to give blood for the first time shortly which I'm excited about! Did you know only 4% of Brits who are able to donate blood are actually signed up to do so? It blows my mind, but before I was presented with an opportunity to do so it didn't cross my mind at all. I think with regards to organ donation it should be an opt-out system

ReputationRep:
    Yes; though having said that, I took great care to tick the small box on the reverse marked 'posthumous only'. I assume everyone else did likewise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm down to donate everything except eyes so that I can have an open casket funeral. I want to be cremated anyway so organ donation made sense. I'm a blood donor too, I'm up to 3 times, I just keep getting ill right before I'm due, I want to donate platelets too someday but there isn't a clinic near me

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.