Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you ever read print newspapers? watch

• View Poll Results: Do you ever read printed newspapers?
    Yes
    36.25%
    Yes (but only the free ones)
    33.49%
    No
    30.26%

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I usually pick up a copy of the 'i', which is a fairly decent newspaper at a cheap price. Occasionally splash out on the Independent, Guardian or Times if I know I have a lot of free time on my hands, i.e. train journey.

Recently came back from holiday, where I was unconnected from the internet for a week which was great. Unfortunately I could only find The Sun, and after 3 days gave in and bought a copy. Fortunately shortly after I found a newsagent which stocked The Mirror, which was a marginally better choice.

Although it is easier and cheaper getting my news from the internet it doesn't have the same feel. There is a simple please in sitting down, having a cup of tea and reading the paper that can't be replicated through a digital screen. Ditto for books vs. kindle.

ReputationRep:
    yes every day i read The Times which might seem sad to some people but the uni have it for free and i enjoy it. i really cant understand some people who dont keep up to date with commercial/political issues, especially when they are chasing a career in law! better to read it because you want to and not in the week leading up to interview because you have to.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else get that adrenaline rush picking up a copy of the london evening standard? lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by neal95)
    anyone else get that adrenaline rush picking up a copy of the london evening standard? lol
    God yes.

ReputationRep:
    I get The Times most Sundays, but nothing other than that unless I'm in an area where I can't get internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    The cease of printing of The Independent is interesting from my industry's perspective. People often drop the phrase 'print is dead', which is where I'd disagree. In fact, I was asked back in 2011, during an interview for a job, whether I thought that this was the case.

It's been known for a long time now (around a decade, if not longer) that readership of newspapers in general is declining. The way by which we consume news is changing. We can get push notifications on breaking news stories, which are easily updated via apps. Print cannot do this. News is also shared via Facebook, whereas before people would call each other to say that they should buy newspaper X.

Young people are less inclined to read politically biased news. BBC News (please don't start a BBC News is X-wing debate :ninja:) provides a well rounded view of the facts. The Independent did well to create the i newspaper back in 2010, which provides better content than the Metro and was cheap (20p at the time, now 40p I believe). Fast reading without too much bias.

The next interesting thing will be whether they paywall the Indy's online content or not... The Sun learnt from that and Rebekah Brooks has only just removed it as one of her first actions back at News UK. Even ad revenue doesn't provide the print revenue you'd get from advertisers or readers. :beard:

I'll occasionally buy the i newspaper if I've got time to read it, but if not then I know that I'll be up to date throughout the day.

:holmes:
    Are you suggesting that they'll try keep print alive as long as possible due to the higher margins and simply use numerous product extension strategies to try revive sales?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Not for the last 8 or 9 years.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Are you suggesting that they'll try keep print alive as long as possible due to the higher margins and simply use numerous product extension strategies to try revive sales?
    Previous to the Indy announcement, I would have said yes. But now, probably not. I think that those with rapidly declining readership will just stop printing - but they will be moved to online only. It's going to happen more and more as the digital generations come in. The 90s babies are the last generation to experience media as both analogue and digital, so more and more papers will stop producing print.

The i newspaper filled a gap in the market - a credible Metro.

In the 'print is dead' argument, we're finding as a uni comms department that applicants appreciate print more than apps and emails. It's a physical thing that the uni has spent money on and so it suggests that the university cares about the individual - especially when your name is mail merged onto the cover of publications. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Previous to the Indy announcement, I would have said yes. But now, probably not. I think that those with rapidly declining readership will just stop printing - but they will be moved to online only. It's going to happen more and more as the digital generations come in. The 90s babies are the last generation to experience media as both analogue and digital, so more and more papers will stop producing print.

The i newspaper filled a gap in the market - a credible Metro.

In the 'print is dead' argument, we're finding as a uni comms department that applicants appreciate print more than apps and emails. It's a physical thing that the uni has spent money on and so it suggests that the university cares about the individual - especially when your name is mail merged onto the cover of publications. :beard:
    I tend to agree albeit i think we'll have the majors still printing for a good 20 years for the most part. I think for what it is that the Independent was squeezed by having 3 quality papers who pipped it. Niche papers like the FT will probably always be in print simply as a form of advertising for the website subscriptions which will be the money maker for them.

Yeah. It's still printing but just being sold.

Must admit that short of having 5 separate email accounts to keep things separate i prefer a hand copy. As a business owner though, i'd go paperless.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i'd go paperless.
    I can't wait for the NHS to be paperless. In fact all government information should be paperless.

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the NHS to be paperless. In fact all government information should be paperless.

Estonia has the right idea. Each citizen has some kind of portal where they have stuff relevant to each government service (tax, health ect..).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Estonia has the right idea. Each citizen has some kind of portal where they have stuff relevant to each government service (tax, health ect..).
    They tried to do this with the Government Gateway ID. But that's all a bit broken as you need a new ID for every service you use (HMRC, NHS, DVLA). :facepalm:

In Estonia they can vote via that too. :woo: Being able to see your medical stuff online will be great though - would love to have a 'you are here (X) in the queue' for hospital referrals, instead of just waiting for months.

Edit: Here's what the NHS are working on atm: http://alpha.nhs.uk/

ReputationRep:
    They tried to do this with the Government Gateway ID. But that's all a bit broken as you need a new ID for every service you use (HMRC, NHS, DVLA). :facepalm:

In Estonia they can vote via that too. :woo: Being able to see your medical stuff online will be great though - would love to have a 'you are here (X) in the queue' for hospital referrals, instead of just waiting for months.

Edit: Here's what the NHS are working on atm: http://alpha.nhs.uk/
    "You are currently 5th place in the que for your genital wart treatment, just behind the girl who gave you them. We see you voted Tory too, good job old boy. "

ReputationRep:
    people in waitrose would rebel if newspapers went out of print! how would they get their telegraph/daily mail?! i think the print papers will be around for at least another 50 years as people are gonna live longer this geneation adn they need to slowly phase them out to wean the baby boomer generation off them. plus you would see mass protests on fleet street if it was cold turkey-esque :P

I can't wait for the NHS to be paperless.
    AMEN to that. :adore:

Volume 1, volume 2, volume 3849.......

ReputationRep:
    Sadly The Telegraph had sold out today however i was fairly happy with the Times and it made a good change. Their business section and general articles are not quite as good but i like their opinion section much more.

ReputationRep:
    many people my age dont read the paper. i know i act about 50 but i am only 20 haha

ReputationRep:
    I don't read them. I prefer other written works of fiction, such as Harry Potter.

ReputationRep:
    I just read the news on my phone, it's much easier :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I do, but it's time consuming, I think I speak for most when I say that I'd rather quickly scan through headlines on the net or an app to find the news. That said, the editorials / opinion-led stuff is the main drawing factor to print news, but these can also be found online (probably).

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.