x Turn on thread page Beta

Favourite Novel? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Crime and Punishment. Explains my username lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Raskolnikov)
    Crime and Punishment. Explains my username lol
    I love Dostoevsky, I wrote my philosophy personal statement on The Brothers Karamazov!

For me, it's The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. It was totally different to anything I ever read before in terms of themes and experiences. If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things is my second fave and The Master and Margarita is my third though I'm tempted to try the graphic novel adaption of it :-)

ReputationRep:
    Too many to list. One of my more recent favourites is The Hobbit. Couldn't put that book down. Got a gorgeous copy from one of my best friends for my birthday a couple of years ago. Here's a very short list:

Harry Potter series
    Of Mice and Men
    To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Twilight series (Yes, I enjoy these books. No it is not a joke)
    Charlottes Web
    Holes
    Stone Cold
    Private Peaceful
    City of Ember
    The Silver Sequence
    The Doomspell Trilogy

ReputationRep:
    For my English Literature A-level coursework we were free to choose our books. It was absolute joy writing about Crime and Punishment and Feminism. Still waiting for the mark, but thanks to Dostoevsky I may have bagged an A/A*. Do you know what The Idiot is like? Planning on reading it

(Original post by Georg Hegel)
    I love Dostoevsky, I wrote my philosophy personal statement on The Brothers Karamazov!

For me, it's The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall. It was totally different to anything I ever read before in terms of themes and experiences. If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things is my second fave and The Master and Margarita is my third though I'm tempted to try the graphic novel adaption of it :-)

ReputationRep:
    Probably Maurice by E.M. Forster. I also quite like Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.

(Original post by Georg Hegel)
    Fyodor Mikhaylovic Dostoevsky? Born... 1821 died... 1881?

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    Fyodor Mikhaylovic Dostoevsky? Born... 1821 died... 1881?

Spoiler:
    Show
    I was just reading that stuff about him being exiled in Siberia :moon:

(Original post by Ethereal World)
    I was just reading that stuff about him being exiled in Siberia :moon:
    All it is is that he was a member of a secret political party, and they put him in a Siberian labour camp for four years, so you know.....

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about an all time favourite especially if you include childhood. You enjoy everything much more in childhood.

Of the books I've read this year I'd say Flowers for Algernon.

ReputationRep:
    Prospero's Cell by Lawrence Durrell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    I'm in the middle of reading that now! It's so funny but I haven't found the time to pick it up for like a week
    Thats a shame. I found it a bit confusing at the start because of the odd way the story is structured (i.e all the 'flashbacks' and exploring the other characters etc.) but I think it really came into its own later on. I cant imagine a much funnier yet deep and interesting book than Catch 22.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe any of the books listed so far are that persons actual favourite book apart from Crime and Punishment and any Harry Potter book.

The Grapes of Wrath.

But only because I can't decide which inferior novel among hundreds is my actual favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Under the Hawthorn Tree by Ai Mi
    Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
    War and Peace by Tolstoy
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
    Falling Leaves by Adeline Yen Mah
    Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit
    The Da Vinci code by Dan Brown
    Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
    Harry Potter series by JK Rowling

It's a long list
    it's also a great list

amazing choices.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, too many lists. People need to be more judicious lol

I have Grapes of Wrath on my bedside and am on the verge of starting it. Currently slogging my way through a Ballard novel that isn't very good, especially compared to his other masterpieces, but I literally can't not finish something, however bad the book.

(Original post by moggis)
    I don't believe any of the books listed so far are that persons actual favourite book apart from Crime and Punishment and any Harry Potter book.

The Grapes of Wrath.

But only because I can't decide which inferior novel among hundreds is my actual favourite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Raskolnikov)
    Yeah, too many lists. People need to be more judicious lol

I have Grapes of Wrath on my bedside and am on the verge of starting it. Currently slogging my way through a Ballard novel that isn't very good, especially compared to his other masterpieces, but I literally can't not finish something, however bad the book.
    Ha. Well the thing is Crime and Punishment is actually my favourite book.

Grapes of wrath is well worth reading though. It's incredibly powerful and the only reason it's not my actual favourite book is purely because it's so depressing.

I actually blame it in part on the reason that I'm a misanthrope

I remember reading it during a winter when I was on the dole and living in a box room and in one scene Raskolnikov is visited by his sister his friend his mother and one other person,possibly his sisters lover beginning with P I think,and I looked at my tiny room and thought ,"**** me! I'm such a failure that even Raskolnikov can get more people in his room!"

I tried to read other Dostoevsky novels and they are all much harder to get into than C and P.

I mean The Brothers Raskolnikov !? Wtf? Could only read about 40 pages of that.

Anyway you are definitely in for a 'treat' with Grapes of Wrath.

The ending is particularly moving and powerful although I have to say I think it's very very unlikely to ever actually happen in real life.

Edit The movie of Grapes of Wrath is also well worth watching and very very moving. But they couldn't show the ending in the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KyleBroflovski)
    Lord of the Rings, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.
    I simply adore that book. one of the best books i have ever read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
    all about scorpia mate
    Yes, the alex rider series are really, i've read every book and have enjoyed it.
    You're right scorpia is the best one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    Too many to list. One of my more recent favourites is The Hobbit. Couldn't put that book down. Got a gorgeous copy from one of my best friends for my birthday a couple of years ago. Here's a very short list:

Harry Potter series
    Of Mice and Men
    To Kill a Mocking Bird
    Spiderwick Chronicles
    Twilight series (Yes, I enjoy these books. No it is not a joke)
    Charlottes Web
    Holes
    Stone Cold
    Private Peaceful
    City of Ember
    The Silver Sequence
    The Doomspell Trilogy
    That one's one of the greatest books i have ever read, couldn't stop reading until i finished every book in the series.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    JD Salinger-Catcher in the Rye
    it really surprises me how much I loved that book
    Thats one of my favourite novels as well. I found it very relatable. The characters were also very human - flawed - and not your typical 'ideal' personalities.

ReputationRep:
    This is a list of really amazing books:
    Throne of glass(best book ever!, celaena is so hot)
    Vampire diaries
    Vampire academy
    Bloodlines
    A shade of vampire
    Graceling
    The Divergent series
    Animorphs
    V is for villain
    Heist society

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.