Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexfrances)
    Hi I'm a little worried, I've decided not to resit my unit 1 bio as it was a B (84 ums) while my unit 2 was at an E, if i were to resit unit 1 I'm sure my mental health would go through the roof and i would have a breakdown like last year. I am also re-submitting my unit 3 as i only got a C in that. My problem at the moment is that will resitting unit 2 and not unit 1 and resubmitting my unit 3 be enough to get me an A* at A2 if i get a good grade in my unit 4 and 5 this year or am i just kidding myself. I'm pretty sure only 3 people in my school managed to get an A* in biology last year with the majority being A's and B's. Will re-doing unit 2 and unit 3 be enough or should i forget about the A* ? Thanks for the help!
    Hi Alex! I think that a B is a great grade in your unit 1 so I agree with your decision not to retake that exam. I also got a B in unit 1 last year and I'm only repeating that to ensure I get the highest mark possible this year (Unit 4 and 5 are seeming like killers at the moment!).

I think that redoing unit 2 and 3 is wise. Hopefully coursework won't be too time consuming to retake and you'll only have to change a few things. As for redoing unit 2, it will help you with your a2 exams as the test paper is synoptic. Thus I think you're making a good decision with the resits!

I'm aiming for an A* too but I'll be over the moon with an A haha!

Z xx

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I guess all you guys are really busy with revision. I just have a few questions on this year's Article (2016) does anyone have it yet or know anything about it? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellper)
    Hey everyone, I guess all you guys are really busy with revision. I just have a few questions on this year's Article (2016) does anyone have it yet or know anything about it? Thanks
    Hey I don't think we are given the article until summer term? I may be wrong though so please let me know if I am because I'm really interested in what this year's article will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hellper)
    I think it gets released just after easter and my teacher said we'll go over it as soon as we get it so they'll probably do the same at your school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which HSW boxes should I focus about because there is many in each topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Which HSW boxes should I focus about because there is many in each topic ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Finished the course last year, so things drift on specifics. However I can say that you should learn Everything on the syllabus anticipating new or unasked before questions. Not sure if the 2015 papers are available for public viewing yet, but you'll see some of the curve balls from last year when they are out.

I made it seem scary but boundaries go down and benefit a prepared candidate
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PsychoD)
    Finished the course last year, so things drift on specifics. However I can say that you should learn Everything on the syllabus anticipating new or unasked before questions. Not sure if the 2015 papers are available for public viewing yet, but you'll see some of the curve balls from last year when they are out.

I made it seem scary but boundaries go down and benefit a prepared candidate
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much, I will surely have a look at it when it becomes available!

Hopefully I will be as much prepared as I can be )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, how does one "revise" or work on this unit 5 article..? Can't seem to find any tips online!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.
    I'm really confused about how to get an A* in Biology, do you need 90% average over the two written papers OR 90% average over the two written papers and the coursework??

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic97)
    Hey everyone.
    I'm really confused about how to get an A* in Biology, do you need 90% average over the two written papers OR 90% average over the two written papers and the coursework??

Thank you!
    90% avg from all a2 units, inc coursework, with an a level avg (so a2 and as) of 80%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Scientific Article is out guys https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyd3r_abbas)
    Scientific Article is out guys https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...int=file%2cpdf
    What the hell is that....

ReputationRep:

Damnn, thank you :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain T cells and B cells to me please

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone please post 2015's unit 4 and 5 paper please???

ReputationRep:
    May God richly bless you! Thankyou loadss

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know from where I can get the IAL scientific article ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinaa)
    Can someone explain T cells and B cells to me please
    T-cells:
    • They are a type of lymphocytes which mature in the Thymus (hence the name T-cells)
    • They can be subdivided into T-helper cells, T-killer cells and T-memory cells
    • They are involved in the activation of B-cells and T-killer cells:
    1. The macrophage is able to recognise the foreign antigen in the body.
    2. They engulf the foreign antigen in the process of phagocytosis (they engulf, cause the antigen to be enclosed in a vacoule known as phagosome then lysosyme fuses with the phagosome and causes enzymes to be released into the phagosome. These enzymes breakdown the antigen.)
    3. Then some of these proteins are presented on the MHC which is on the cell surface membrane.
    4. The T-helper cell binds to this using its CD4 receptors
    5. It becomes activated
    6. It releases cytokines
    7. These cytokines cause B-cells to become activated and T-killer cells to become activated.
    8. The activated B-cells divide by mitosis to form plasma cells and B-memory cells.
    9. The activated T-killer cells engulf any infected cells

B-Cells
    • They mature in the bone marrow
    • They are activated by T-cells (as described above) to produce plasma cells and B-memory cells
    • Plasma cells secrete specific antibodies
    • B-memory cells remain in low quantities in the body until the same pathogen is encountered again. When this does happen, they divide into plasma cells and secrete antibodies against the pathogen

I think that's about it!
    If I am missing anything please add it in....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Does anyone know from where I can get the IAL scientific article ?
    I don't do IAL but I found this:
    http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...ntific-article

ReputationRep:
    Thank you , so since it has login details, only teachers have an access to it, ugh that sucks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.