Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else piss around in class and get good grades? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudamh)
    Thank you, that sounds like some sensible advice. I tend to do that as well, but I also practise past papers and putting notes into themes. I guess everyone revises slightly differently.
    That is a very decent mark.
    What are you studying now and where if you don't mind me asking?
    I did themes and characters at AS with Carol Ann Duffy and at GCSE with An Inspector Calls but got super lazy on The Wife of Bath as I felt like the themes all blend into each other I guess. Our teacher made us do essays throughout the year so I didn't feel such a need to do practice questions, plus in general they just stress me out. Ironically I need exam pressure to relax into the daunting task of writing an essay, at least if the conditions are timed.
    It is but I would like to have known what I did wrong. It's just annoying when you see exemplars that got 100% and the person doesn't even seem to write that well; tbh I dunno why I'm complaining as I felt like I could get a B after that exam, but I'm just neurotic/perfectionist I guess

I'm studying Maths at Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    I did themes and characters at AS with Carol Ann Duffy and at GCSE with An Inspector Calls but got super lazy on The Wife of Bath as I felt like the themes all blend into each other I guess. Our teacher made us do essays throughout the year so I didn't feel such a need to do practice questions, plus in general they just stress me out. Ironically I need exam pressure to relax into the daunting task of writing an essay, at least if the conditions are timed.
    It is but I would like to have known what I did wrong. It's just annoying when you see exemplars that got 100% and the person doesn't even seem to write that well; tbh I dunno why I'm complaining as I felt like I could get a B after that exam, but I'm just neurotic/perfectionist I guess

I'm studying Maths at Warwick
    You're right to an extent- but that's also helpful in that quotes also overlap.
    I get what you mean. English Literature is like that. I think it depends on the examiner you get too. Its very subjective. What one examiner thinks is an A* could be seen by another to be a B. For example, a classmate of mine, a very intelligent Cambrige applicant, got a C in her exam. She got it remarked and it went up to an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hudamh)
    You're right to an extent- but that's also helpful in that quotes also overlap.
    I get what you mean. English Literature is like that. I think it depends on the examiner you get too. Its very subjective. What one examiner thinks is an A* could be seen by another to be a B. For example, a classmate of mine, a very intelligent Cambrige applicant, got a C in her exam. She got it remarked and it went up to an A.
    Yeah that's true. It seems that whenever a good student goes for a remark after a disappointing result, it goes up, which perhaps implies that the more senior examiners are more competent with recognising good writing/essays.. (I think more senior/experienced examiners deal with remarks; think they also deal with the semi-illegible stuff, which might explain the consistency of my results )

ReputationRep:
    I sort of mess around in biology and chemistry (but that's because the teachers don't tell me off for it) and still get good grades - but that's because of the work I put in outside of lessons to make up for it.

ReputationRep:
    I did it once, in Science....but never again, but it was hilarious what my teacher wrote.. :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    In my home country and my home town in particular, there's a special school for y'all intelligent people where you can share your intelligence and exchange few punches too That's where all intelligent end up cheating on grades whilst the rest of us slaves trapped in classes working hard for our grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Anyone else one of those naturally intelligent people (like me) who can do no work whatsoever and insult the teacher but still get the best grades in the class?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Anyone else one of those naturally intelligent people (like me) who can do no work whatsoever and insult the teacher but still get the best grades in the class?
    I don't know if I'd be that cocky. Generally, what I'll do is pay attention in class and then not work hard outside of class and I'll still do really well. This includes uni level (small papers, not large research papers). But I would never insult teachers, at least not to their faces. That's immensely disrespectful and immature.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.