The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Van Mildert College Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi, Bobkata :smile: Do you happen to be from Bulgaria? And what are you applying for?

Original post by Bobkata
Wow! Thank you so much for the answer! I feel so excited about this college now :biggrin:
Can't wait to go there and enjoy it!
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to visit it before the start of my course as I am from Eastern Europe and still need to take my exams :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Allocated to Van Mildert for Combined Honours in social sciences. Can't say i'd considered it before but it seems to be a good fit. I like that i'm guaranteed a single room but the limited number of ensuites is worrying because i'm a bit of a clean freak :colondollar:
If anyone has stayed or visited before - what's the atmosphere like and how is the food?
Reply 42
Original post by opaleyedragon
Hi, Bobkata :smile: Do you happen to be from Bulgaria? And what are you applying for?

Hey :smile:
Yes, I am from Bulgaria and you probably are as well :biggrin:
I applied to study law. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bobkata
Hey :smile:
Yes, I am from Bulgaria and you probably are as well :biggrin:
I applied to study law. Wbu?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Еми дай някакъв контакт освен :biggrin: Можем да си споделим някой опит или знание хаха.. Аз съм за CompSci
Reply 44
fvfdbdfb
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there an FB group yet?
Reply 46
rdgrdg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 47
ddfgh
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by voraciousreader
Is there an FB group yet?

dfg
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 49
Can any current VM student take a few pictures of their college gym/sport facility? I can't make any of their open days and this really bothers me. Thanks!
Reply 50
Original post by Zechi
Can any current VM student take a few pictures of their college gym/sport facility? I can't make any of their open days and this really bothers me. Thanks!

I absolutely agree with this guy! The gym really bothers me too and I would like to take a look at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
drgdrg
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zechi

If you Google it there are pictures, if that fails if you go on YouTube there are some open day videos and ignoring how cheesy they are they show you all the facilities
Original post by swissinuk
Hey! I'm also have an offer for Combined Honours in Social Sciences. I was just in Durham, and I visited VM. Great atmosphere, the food at uni is meant to be very good, at least that's what I was told by a student at the castle.

Do you know what subjects you're going to study?

Oh that's nice to hear - can't deny i panicked a little when i first got the email :smile: but i've heard some good things since so im less worried now .

Such a great course (but almost too much to choose from :biggrin:). yeah i think i'm going to do Politics + IR as my main with History and french modules. What about you?
Reply 54
I'm firming my offer at Van Mildert to study Philosophy

- apparently VM is also close to the main library?
Reply 55
Original post by Bobkata
I absolutely agree with this guy! The gym really bothers me too and I would like to take a look at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I third this - the photos only show about two machines
Lol I applied for university college at durham and got pooled to this one. My classmates at school that went there on an open day said "don't go there it looks like an abandoned hospital". I wasn't intending to go to Durham anyway so it doesnt make much of a difference but I am offended that University college pooled me. Is this indicative of what they think of my academic merit?
Reply 57
Original post by Zechi

Original post by Bobkata

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by TobyS15
I third this - the photos only show about two machines

I don't really use the gym (only the rare few times when we sneak in at 1am for a laugh heh) but it is pretty good. It's a lot better than college gyms on the Bailey, I have friends at Cuths and John's who say their gyms are pretty small with minimal equipment, whereas Mildert's gym is pretty big (always busy!) with a number of cardio machines (treadmills, ellipticals etc) as well as a range of weights and bodybuilding machines.
Reply 58
Oh right, I see, thank you for taking the time to explain that. Another quick question though: you mentioned breaking in at 1am, but I thought the gym was open 24/7?
Reply 59
Original post by imsoanonymous123
Lol I applied for university college at durham and got pooled to this one. My classmates at school that went there on an open day said "don't go there it looks like an abandoned hospital". I wasn't intending to go to Durham anyway so it doesnt make much of a difference but I am offended that University college pooled me. Is this indicative of what they think of my academic merit?

I think the problem is more the fact that University College is just so over-subscribed. We are in the same position: I also applied to Castle but was offered Van Mildert instead too. I'm not too disappointed, though, as VM looks really nice as I reckon any college in Durham would be.

Quick Reply

Latest