Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Gofre)
    Hi everyone

So yeah, next month I will hopefully be starting a new job which will let me see a nice chunk of the world over the next few years, but I will also most likely not get very much time to spend my salary! So I figured that, at the ripe old age of 24, I should probably start saving some of that cash. The problem is I have no idea where to start looking!

I don't know exactly how much I'll be putting away each month as it's likely to vary depending on where in the world I am, but I would guess at an average somewhere in the region of £400-£500 per month. I will also be getting a bonus from my current job next month allowing me to make an initial deposit of £1000-£2000, if that's at all relevant. I currently bank with Natwest if that's of any relevance too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Based in your circumstances (Initial deposit £1-2K. I'll assume a median of £1500) followed by £400-500 p.m., I'd recommend:

1) Halifax 4% Help to buy ISA - Initially deposit £1200 to maximise the potential of this account. Then deposit £200 monthly.

2) First Direct Current account - Switch from your current bank to first direct and get £150. This is equivalent to saving £1000 at a 15% rate for a year, so it's a good bonus to have.

One point to make though, to receive the bonus £150, you have to deposit £1000 within the first 3 months of opening the account, which shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you deposit that initial bonus into the account before opening the halifax account.

3) First Direct Regular Saver - 6% interest - Where you can save up to £300 a month. But you have to be able to save regularly for at least a year. Pros: Forces you to save regularly, high interest, fits your budget as you can vary the amount each month if you want. Cons: You have to save every month.

You can deposit the remaining £300 from your initial bonus here to start you off.

The above scenario allows you split your £500 a month perfectly between a 4% and a 6% rate, and they are both flexible in that you don't have to put in the maximum but the option is there.

The alternative TSB account at 5% is fine too but it is capped at £2000. So if you manage to save £300 a month in that account you'll reach the limit in 7 months. I wouldn't recommend it if you're going to be doing this 'over the next few years'.

Hope this helps.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 24, 2016
How are you feeling about your exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.