Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

VA126 - Constitutional Amendment Amendment watch

• View Poll Results: Should this amendment be passed into the Constitution?
    As many are of the opinion, Aye
    40.00%
    On the contrary, No
    50.00%
    Abstain
    10.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I would imagine that should the rules of the game become skewed to favour certain political parties then that would be objectively detrimental to the MHoC in the fewer people would want to participate.
    And in the vast majority of cases these amendments would be laughed down, and it would be extremely unusual that this amendment caused such an amendment to pass if it would otherwise fail.

It is an argument against the amendment. You said that if a majority of members wish to see a procedural change it should occur. I am pointing out that a majority of members is simply a majority of MPs, not of people who are affected by procedural changes. For example Party A may have 26 MPs but Party B may have 1 MP and 100 active members. I do not think A should dictate constitutional change to B (extreme figures used for clarity of meaning, not argumentum ad absurdum). Amendments are not political (they may be in RL but not in the MHoC) and therefore being politically popular (i.e. having lot's of MPs) is not what drives constitutional change (though it is of course what drives legislative change).
    How is this different from what happens under the present rule? All it does is change the portion of MPs who are needed for an amendment to pass, not whether the votes of MPs happen to be representative of the underlying distribution.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    And in the vast majority of cases these amendments would be laughed down, and it would be extremely unusual that this amendment caused such an amendment to pass if it would otherwise fail.

How is this different from what happens under the present rule? All it does is change the portion of MPs who are needed for an amendment to pass, not whether the votes of MPs happen to be representative of the underlying distribution.
    It seems I saw this too late for my rebuttal to have any meaning, however I'm sure we'll be able to pick this up again one day.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Ayes to the right: 16
    Noes to the left: 20
    Abstain: 4

The Noes have it! The Noes have it. Unlock.
    Turnout: 80%

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Debate and current affairs forum guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.