Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Hiyahaya;62958669]
    (Original post by clucky_chick)
    Hi, I'm currently doing my GCSEs and need to chose my AS LEvel subjects soon. Do you take philosophy and ethics or sociology
    Hi, I am currently studying philosophy, without ethics. However, I have heard that some of the topics are similar. Although I don't study sociology, I have been in taster classes for it, and have friends who take it.

ReputationRep:
    How many free periods do you have every week?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah right, I understand that. I love humanities subjects, but it's difficult for career progression, unless teaching. So, I'm still stuck on what I want to do.
    Yeah that was the argument between my last two choices with career progression. A lot of people choose a uni course because it interests them but just do it since its a degree. Best to research what things you can go into with some courses, my course is vocational and I looked into the career itself quite a bit before choosing my final choice of what I was going to do.

(Original post by Starlight15)
    Following for me each day (I'm A2 so doing one less subject to last year):
    Monday: 3 periods
    Tuesday: 5 periods
    Wednesday: 3 periods (was 4 early on since one of the periods we don't attend till this time of year), the final period is empty for everyone
    Thursday: 1 period
    Friday: 4 periods

Expected to do around the same amount of time in lessons for each subject per week outside of lessons as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I don't know if this is a course you do but since you said you could offer general information and ask around, I'd be very greatful.
    I'm doing GCSE Business as an option and I was wondering what scale of difficulty it would be at A-Level?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about such a late response. I did not take the strongest of combinations, unfortunately due to unforeseen issues. I am currently studying economics, English literature, philosophy and psychology. I can also give general advice on other subjects from what I have heard from teachers, other students, etc. When choosing my A levels, I had no idea what I wanted to take. So, I do have a general knowledge on quite a few subjects from research / open evenings / etc.
    How's English Lit,History,and Philosophy.Is philosophy good to take if your good at english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starlight15)
    Hi, everyone seems to be allotted different free periods. Free periods are not as brilliant as you may think. My free's are as follows:
    Monday - 120 hours
    Tuesday - 45 mins
    Wednesday - Study Day
    Thursday - 90 mins
    Friday - 120 minutes

45 of these minutes are lunch time. My college offers a study day where we have a whole day without any lessons. This is not offered by most colleges. This means that our days are often crammed with lessons, and we finish later than other colleges. However, free periods are not really 'free'. This is a brilliant time for you to catch-up with work, do revision, enrichment activities, etc. Even though this may seem like quite a bit of free time, with all the enrichment, revision, meetings, etc. It really isn't that much time at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by byaakun)
    Hello, I don't know if this is a course you do but since you said you could offer general information and ask around, I'd be very greatful.
    I'm doing GCSE Business as an option and I was wondering what scale of difficulty it would be at A-Level?
    Thank you.
    Hi, I did GCSE business and loved it! I ended up with an A* at the end of the course (100 UMS). From what I know, business studies is a really good course, and one which is quite easy to get a good mark in. There are a lot of very long mark questions, which did put me off a bit. Business is a great subject, and full of great opportunities at A level. However, this subject can sometimes be seen as a 'soft subject' by universities, and 'less facilitating' by Russell Group Universities. It is alright as a fourth subject with a combination of strong subjects though. All A levels are a big step up, but as long as you are enjoying and getting good grades with GCSE I am, sure you will cope at A level. All subjects start off quite easy at the start, and try to ease you in. There are a few topics of economics, and some things may be a little more difficult. E.g. some accounting calculations, and product values, etc. Overall, from what I have heard though, it's a good subject. I hope this helps.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi, I did GCSE business and loved it! I ended up with an A* at the end of the course (100 UMS). From what I know, business studies is a really good course, and one which is quite easy to get a good mark in. There are a lot of very long mark questions, which did put me off a bit. Business is a great subject, and full of great opportunities at A level. However, this subject can sometimes be seen as a 'soft subject' by universities, and 'less facilitating' by Russell Group Universities. It is alright as a fourth subject with a combination of strong subjects though. All A levels are a big step up, but as long as you are enjoying and getting good grades with GCSE I am, sure you will cope at A level. All subjects start off quite easy at the start, and try to ease you in. There are a few topics of economics, and some things may be a little more difficult. E.g. some accounting calculations, and product values, etc. Overall, from what I have heard though, it's a good subject. I hope this helps.
    Is that meant to be 10 UMS because 100 is way too much for a GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blancosdos)
    How's English Lit,History,and Philosophy.Is philosophy good to take if your good at english?
    Okay. My advice would be for you to go to college open evenings, and see the teachers who may be teaching you at A level and see if you like the idea of them.

English Literature: I find this quite a good subject. If you are doing well with GCSE English, I am sure you will be fine with A level literature. It is a step-up of course, but it is really good. I enjoy it! I would suggest that you go to the open day and ask what type of literature you will be studying. My particular course is studying 'Love through the ages' with novels like Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Rotters Club, etc. As long as you like reading, and like to interpret things, I am sure you will like it.

History: I never took this subject, but I have been to a few of their open days. It is best to go to see the history open day if possible, and find out what sort of topics you will be studying and see if they interest you. History does do quite a few essays, but that is to be expected with it being a humanities course. It definitely seems a good subject. I have a friend who takes it, who says he loves it, and finds it really interesting.

Philosophy: Philosophy is an essay subject, and it can be a little difficult. If you have taken Religious Studies, it is a little bit like that, except from it is more generalised and does not subscribe to a specific religion, instead they subscribe to an idea. Having good English will help with Philosophy, although it is not essential (my teacher's English is sometimes a little crap, haha). Philosophy is a subject that I basically stumbled upon in an open evening, having no clue about what it was. It is great, and it gives you some brilliant skills. It can be a little boring at times though. It is mainly based on class discussion, and gets you to use your judgement and opinions. It is definitely a subject I recommend, and some universities are even impressed by students who take the subject (apparently).

It is totally up to you. That is a little summary of my opinions on the courses. If you have any more course specific questions, I can answer them in more detail. I'm just trying not to overwhelm you with massive paragraphs about the course, haha. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask anymore questions,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Is that meant to be 10 UMS because 100 is way too much for a GCSE?
    Nope, it is on my results paper, that I got 100 UMS in one of my Business papers, and I got A* overall.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nope, it is on my results paper, that I got 100 UMS in one of my Business papers, and I got A* overall.
    Oh I was getting confused with the points you get for subject grades which unis look at.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=clucky_chick;6296150 thx for the reply. Is philosophy a hard course because a few ppl I have talked to say it a challenging subject. Also is a lot of memorising involved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Oh I was getting confused with the points you get for subject grades which unis look at.
    No problem, I get confused all the time too. There are too many systems!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does! We just finished our coursework a few weeks ago and I'm hoping I do well on that one
    Our Business teacher actually majors in Economcis too, and it's those kinds of topics that I find difficult about business, but not too much. I can cope xP
    For one college I applied in, I chose IT, Computer Science, Business and Psychology (since it offers a wide range of careers options and I love Computers) however not doing A-level English and Maths...is a little bit scary. Is it a necessity to do A-level English and maths? Like are there any disadvantages for not doing it? Also how hard is A-level maths? Haha I hope am not asking too many questions.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hiyahaya)
    thx for the reply. Is philosophy a hard course because a few ppl I have talked to say it a challenging subject. Also is a lot of memorising involved?
    No problem. In my opinion, it is a really easy subject, and I understand it really well. However, others in my class have struggled with it, so it depends on you as a person. If you enjoy humanities, and can get decent grades in the subject, then I am sure you will do well in the subject. My teacher told me that quite a few people in his classes were on track to failing. I enjoy the subject because it challenges everything you think about in life, and things you would never think to challenge. Philosophy also invites you to use your opinions and judge which theories you like, which can be fun. However, if you do not like humanities, then the course may not be right for you. My advice would be for you to go to an open event and speak to the teacher(s) about it. My classes have weekly tests on the topic, so there is usally a few pages of theory to learn, and numbered premises. This does get easier to learn as the course goes along, you just have to put in the effort, and you'll get the grade! I would say it is the course which has the least amount of theory in the courses I study. There are some large mark essays, but once you learn their structure, they are not too difficult. It is probably the A level I find most enjoyment in, as we talk about everything in relation to the work, and any opinion is welcome.Sorry, I hope that doesn't overwhelm you with information. If you have any more questions, I am happy to answer them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does! We just finished our coursework a few weeks ago and I'm hoping I do well on that one
    Our Business teacher actually majors in Economcis too, and it's those kinds of topics that I find difficult about business, but not too much. I can cope xP
    For one college I applied in, I chose IT, Computer Science, Business and Psychology (since it offers a wide range of careers options and I love Computers) however not doing A-level English and Maths...is a little bit scary. Is it a necessity to do A-level English and maths? Like are there any disadvantages for not doing it? Also how hard is A-level maths? Haha I hope am not asking too many questions.

Thanks.
    Hi, don't worry. Ask as many questions as you want! What sort of courses are you interested in applying / what sorts of careers? This will make it much easier for me to advise you on this. Also, what English are you interested in studying? Language, Literature or combined? English and Maths are traditional subjects, which can be very good for keeping an open range. However, I would not say it is totally 'necessary' to take these subjects (dependent on what course you want to apply for). If you can let me know what sort of field you are thinking of applying to, I can then give you some better advice. If you are unsure, I can give you some general advice, and advantages / disadvantages for them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't worry. Ask as many questions as you want! What sort of courses are you interested in applying / what sorts of careers? This will make it much easier for me to advise you on this. Also, what English are you interested in studying? Language, Literature or combined? English and Maths are traditional subjects, which can be very good for keeping an open range. However, I would not say it is totally 'necessary' to take these subjects (dependent on what course you want to apply for). If you can let me know what sort of field you are thinking of applying to, I can then give you some better advice. If you are unsure, I can give you some general advice, and advantages / disadvantages for them.
    I'm thinking of being a lawyer as one of my career prospects (I think this would suit my business course perfectly, since business has their owns e-commerce laws) If I did A-level English Lit, will this help too? I'm currently getting Bs in English Lang and Lit, so fingers crossed, I do just as well in my real GCSEs. But I doubt I will be taking Languge for A-level due to limited options.

Another career prospects I would be interested in is IT/Computer related jobs, such as: a computer programmer, network administrator and etc. I'm actually already taking GCSE Computer Science, so that is one of the reasons I'm going to choose it for A-level. However, ICT at A-level would still be new to me, as I didn't do it in GCSE but am still so-so confident in doing well in it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of being a lawyer as one of my career prospects (I think this would suit my business course perfectly, since business has their owns e-commerce laws) If I did A-level English Lit, will this help too? I'm currently getting Bs in English Lang and Lit, so fingers crossed, I do just as well in my real GCSEs. But I doubt I will be taking Languge for A-level due to limited options.

Another career prospects I would be interested in is IT/Computer related jobs, such as: a computer programmer, network administrator and etc. I'm actually already taking GCSE Computer Science, so that is one of the reasons I'm going to choose it for A-level. However, ICT at A-level would still be new to me, as I didn't do it in GCSE but am still so-so confident in doing well in it.
    Law does not really have any specific subject requirements. However, it is quite advisable to take a humanities subject or English, as essay writing is a skill which is definitely required for law. But, you do not have to. ICT and Computer Science do seem to be quite similar. English literature is definitely a better option than the other two, as it is stronger on its own. According to my literature teacher universities 'love' students who have good grades in the subject, as there is so much analysis, opinions, judgement, etc. included in essays. Therefore, you may find that content overlaps. Some universities advise you not to take similar courses, and try and become a more 'rounded' student. I would definitely advise you try and take one subject which is essay-based. Maths is not required for law, but would be good on your application, as it is a hard a level. But, this is definitely not essential.

Courses related to programming, etc. would probably recommend that you do stick with CompSci. Maths is also quite often mentioned as a preferred subject too! ICT may make your application better, but I am pretty sure you can get into the course with one or the other. Remember, a levels are a big step-up, and a lot of work has to go into them. Make sure you pick subject which you feel you will enjoy. Don't worry too much about deciding if your a levels are perfect for a specific course, as there is always access routes if all else fails.

Business studies is seen as quite a 'soft' a level. (I loved it, I was so disappointed when I found this out when researching courses for myself). It is alright as a 4th subject though, if you drop it in the second year. Then again, I do not think it will disadvantage you too much by taking it either, as long as you work hard, and get a good grade. I am studying Psychology, and find it one of my toughest a levels. Although it is difficult, it is really interesting, and I quite often find myself applying its theories and knowledge to my other subjects. Psychology is a good course if you want to study social sciences, business, etc. These two courses would be seen as slightly more irrelevant to your career path. However, they will always make you look like a more 'rounded' student which is defintely advantageous!

It is really difficult for me to say which a level would be best suited to you, as you know yourself where your progress is, and which subjects you find more interesting. Sorry if the above is a little muddled, as I was just typing my stream of thought, and I am quite tired, haha. I hope this helps a little and feel free to ask for any clarity or any other questions. I will try my best to answer.

ReputationRep:
    Can you do resits like if you were (forced lol) to do a foundation paper on one of the real exams and passed it with a high C, could you do a resist with a higher tier to get a higher grade?
    How long would this take and stuff - if yes?

Just wondering, thanks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can you do resits like if you were (forced lol) to do a foundation paper on one of the real exams and passed it with a high C, could you do a resist with a higher tier to get a higher grade?
    How long would this take and stuff - if yes?

Just wondering, thanks.
    Well because of the new linear system it may be harder. First year exams don't count towards your final grades and are more now for uni decisions, not sure how it will work for new A level students. My year is the final one with all modular subjects and yes we could resit a test by signing for it, have to pay for each one. You will need to ask teachers when you get to 6th form about how it will change.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.