The Student Room Group

What are your opinions on plus sized models?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think we should be glorifying the extreme overweight end of the scale (tess holliday) any more than we should glorify the other extreme end (underweight models). However I do recognise that there is some need to create a more diverse catalogue of models (at least in commercial modelling) to better represent the consumers, whether that be in weight, height or body shape.

As I don't know about anyone else but I find it incredibly frustrating not being able to accurately determine how something will fit on me as a short women looking at online shopping websites where all the models are close to a foot taller than me. I can imagine this same frustration arises from many women (and men) shopping for clothes all modelled by women (or men) who represent less than 10% of the population yet are the only hallmark for what the clothes will look like.
I mean it depends on height surely? At average female height, I'd say a girl is plus size if she is above a size 8.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I mean it depends on height surely? At average female height, I'd say a girl is plus size if she is above a size 6.

...just what? How have you come to that conclusion?
Original post by SophieSmall
...just what? How have you come to that conclusion?

Oops, my bad, meant to type above size 8
Original post by TheGuyReturns
Oops, my bad, meant to type above size 8

Even that is a strange conclusion to come to.

Did you not know that these "sizes" aren't actually standardised at all? In some shops a size 6 is too big for me and in others a size 10 is way too small. And it's not necessarily just different shops, have had the same experiences with just different styles of clothing within the same shops. Then you also have to take into account body shape. For example while I can usually fit into a size 6 skirt (and still have them sometimes be too loose) I can never fit into a size 6 top because my bust is just too large, even though I don't have particularly large breasts.
Original post by GreekTea
What size do you class as plus size?
What size would you be if you could alter your own figure?
What are your opinions on the UK average being a size 16?

plus size is around 16 IMO, If I could be any size I'd be the same as now (size 10) but less fat, probably smaller hips or bigger boobs so they matched.
My opinion on the average size 16 is that it includes women of all ages, such as ones that may have just had a child or something. I don't really see that many 25 year old size 16s ....or maybe they just look older if they are.
Also in my opinion the stick insect look of models on sites such as ASOS or topshop is so boring.....
One reason I liked American Apparel is that they used female models of different shapes, they had fat but they were still attractive.....it looked so much better than just assuming everyone wants to see clothes on tall thin females, which most people aren't. And it's pretty obvious other sizes can be hot, having hips and boobs is considered hot. So why always use skinny stick models?!? Makes no sense to me
I don't think we should be glorifying the extreme overweight end of the scale (tess holliday) any more than we should glorify the other extreme end (underweight models). However I do recognise that there is some need to create a more diverse catalogue of models (at least in commercial modelling) to better represent the consumers, whether that be in weight, height or body shape.

As I don't know about anyone else but I find it incredibly frustrating not being able to accurately determine how something will fit on me as a short women looking at online shopping websites where all the models are close to a foot taller than me. I can imagine this same frustration arises from many women (and men) shopping for clothes all modelled by women (or men) who represent less than 10% of the population yet are the only hallmark for what the clothes will look like.

YES! Exactly my thought on it. Why doesn't anyone do anything or complain...IDGI? Is it just totally run by homosexual men who want everyone to aspire to look like adolescent boys or have they just come to some weird conclusion that it sells better? It puts me off more than anything.........hardly anyone is 5'11 size 8, no hips etc. Shorter people can look good in the clothes too
Useful.

I can sit on them in a swimming pool.

Book, cold drink. Heaven. :biggrin:
Original post by xobeauty
Well if the demand is not there why would they make it then?

As for the designer brands, it's an image thing, they want to cater to a certain group of people/look. They are still making loads of money.

But they could make even more....
Original post by GreekTea
But they could make even more....

Once overweight people start purchasing these high end clothes the image of the clothing downgrades. That's the way these companies are.

Idk why A/F is like this, the clothes aren't even high end.
So the conclusion would be it depends on height, weight and actual appearance /facial symmetry and body proportions. Generally very exepting responses.
Well I don't think they are a step in the right direction.

Size 14 and over is plus size for me.

My clothes range from size 4 to size 12. (Shops need to sort their sizing out)
Sizes just give you a general idea to what to pick up. If you're a size 16 you're not going to look in the 3-4 section first.

I know that. What I was insinuating was that a lot of people get hung up on sizes and believe they should only ever be one size and if they have to buy the next size up it's the end of the world lmao
Once overweight people start purchasing these high end clothes the image of the clothing downgrades. That's the way these companies are.

Idk why A/F is like this, the clothes aren't even high end.

Fat people wouldn't really suit a lot of high end brands though, it's literally not made with them in mind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

most sensible post in this thread
I personally like to let everyone be the size how they feel the most comfortable. If thats size 20 or size 0. In the public eye there are a lot of people saying big is beautiful, but what frustrated me is when Cheryl cole lost a lot of weight everyone started slagging her off for being to skinny. I feel that is just not fair.
Reply 56
I consider them very hot:smile:
Reply 57

Fat people need to be happy in their own skin. Yes they should loose weight but they need to be happy with themselves during that process!
Original post by Marco97
Fat people need to be happy in their own skin. Yes they should loose weight but they need to be happy with themselves during that process!

Okay. Never disputed that.
the other thing to consider that as people get taller etc , those size 16 / 18 / 20 measurements aren;t actually all that 'large' ...

Quick Reply

Latest