The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Accommodation opinions from current bath students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by McGovernC
Does anyone know what Osborne house is like?
An ensuite shower there is £30.00 cheaper than the others.

Just buy a dressing gown and live in shared bathroom halls.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Fair enough and I think I might but I was just wondering why it was cheaper than the other en suites when it doesn't seem to have any extra disadvantages.
Original post by McGovernC
Fair enough and I think I might but I was just wondering why it was cheaper than the other en suites when it doesn't seem to have any extra disadvantages.

Osborne, iirc, is off-campus which is a death sentence because in your first year you really want to be on campus as after year one you are kicked out. Osborne therefore attracts fewer applicants, so the basic principles of economics apply!
Hi, just wondering if there is a difference in size of room between rooms with and without a sink in Eastwood and if it's worth paying the extra for the room with a sink?
Cheers
Reply 44
Hi,

I've put Bath as my firm choice for Natural Sciences.

I am keen on Woodland Court but can anyone confirm how many people will be sharing a flat/kitchen (someone has said 8-15 but does anyone know specifically?). 15 sounds a lot to be in one kitchen at once and if this is the case, how many facilities (fridges, ovens etc) are there in one kitchen?

Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by AMeryl
Hi,

I am keen on Woodland Court but can anyone confirm how many people will be sharing a flat/kitchen (someone has said 8-15 but does anyone know specifically?). 15 sounds a lot to be in one kitchen at once and if this is the case, how many facilities (fridges, ovens etc) are there in one kitchen?

Are you a millionaire?
Original post by AMeryl
Hi,

I think the amount of people to a flat varies because the flats at Woodland Court vary in sizes, that's probably why there's no specific number.

The amount of facilities will be proportionate to the amount of people sharing the flat. I can't imagine the kitchens having more than 3 fridge/freezers or more than 4 ovens though.
Original post by AMeryl
Hi,

I've only been in a Woodland kitchen once or twice and from memory there are two or three big fridges and two ovens (and hobs) - the problem is that there was only one sink for washing up in the one I was in, which meant that there was dirty crockery *everywhere*, simply because it was always impossible to get to the sink.
Reply 48
would you say westwood or norwood is better?
Hi,

Thanks for your message. I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

Norwood - This is quite a nice block, and the rooms are pretty nice. The rent is comparably cheaper for what you get, however, this is probably due to the fact that it is above the students union. I personally have not lived there however I have heard mixed reports. Club nights are twice a week, and last until 2/3am. Some people say that you get used to it pretty quickly and that you learn to sleep through it. Others say that the whole room vibrates and that you can't get a good nights sleep until you go home! I would say that if you like going out and are a loud person, then definitely consider this. If you are relatively timid and don't really go out, then stear clear.

Westwood - this is the same price as Norwood. You don't get as much for your money but you also don't get the loud club nights a few floors bellow. You will have a wash hand basin in your room and a kitchen between about 7. Toilets will be shared between about 4.

In summary, I think it is really down to what type of person you are and where you think you'll fit in best.

Hope that helps,

Rob

Original post by ssamarai
would you say westwood or norwood is better?
Hello!

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

Having a sink in your room is a little more expensive and does have a few benefits. I will say what I think the advantages are, and you can decide if you think it's financially worth it.

Having a sink can be useful for things such as doing your teeth at night and filling up your glass with water. It may be that the kitchen or toilet is a at the other side of your flat or there may be a couple of flights of stairs to cross. Obviously this isn't that far but it can be quite nice to have a tap close by.

Also, as Eastwood does not have cleaners, the toilets and sink can get a little grimey! So some people may appreciate having a sink of their own. However obviously it is a little extra that you have to keep clean!

I hope that helps,

Rob

Original post by Aidan1997
Hi, just wondering if there is a difference in size of room between rooms with and without a sink in Eastwood and if it's worth paying the extra for the room with a sink?
Cheers
Reply 51
so in YOUR opinion, which is better haha or which would you go for. I would go for Norwood but the noise thing is kinda putting me off, is it really that bad?
so in YOUR opinion, which is better haha or which would you go for. I would go for Norwood but the noise thing is kinda putting me off, is it really that bad?

I was in Norwood but the noise thing really didn't bother me. I'm a really heavy sleeper though.

hey, there's nothing wrong with Eastwood..
Reply 54
Original post by Bath~Student
hey, there's nothing wrong with Eastwood..

preferred norwood and westwood though
preferred norwood and westwood though

why?

just asking.
Reply 56
Original post by Bath~Student
why?

just asking.

Norwood the rooms are a lot bigger and both just seem more sociable. Heard better things than for Eastwood.
Norwood the rooms are a lot bigger and both just seem more sociable. Heard better things than for Eastwood.

I'd say Eastwood is much more sociable because it's arranged into multiple smalls houses of about 12 people, forming a small, friendly community.

But there you go.
Hi, has anyone had any problems with living at Osborne House?

I know it's only a 5 min walk from campus but are there any other major differences between campus accommodation?

I can see that the website doesn't say about their recycling facilities being close so is that a worry?

Original post by Charlotte_Simm
Hi, has anyone had any problems with living at Osborne House?

I know it's only a 5 min walk from campus but are there any other major differences between campus accommodation?

I can see that the website doesn't say about their recycling facilities being close so is that a worry?

The inhumane price tag.

Quick Reply

Latest