The Student Room Group

Maths degree without further maths and physics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Yes, and I have seen the benefits of doing so whilst studying Maths at uni. :h:

oh okay, what did you get for maths at GCSE you must be naturally talented.
Reply 41
Original post by ameenatariq

If you want to do a maths degree, then surely you must enjoy maths, what's stopping you from taking further maths...?
Original post by surina16
lots of people who want to do maths that I know take:
maths, further maths, physics + extra (eg. chemistry)?

not chemistry and biology?
Original post by Zacken
If you want to do a maths degree, then surely you must enjoy maths, what's stopping you from taking further maths...?

i guess that i mind find it difficult or im not capable enough.
oh okay, what did you get for maths at GCSE you must be naturally talented.

No, not naturally talented - just hardworking. I got an A* in GCSE maths.
not chemistry and biology?

not really, not that many people take biology when they do a maths degree although you still could if you wanted to
Reply 46

If you think you'll find FM difficult, then you'll find uni maths hell.
Original post by SeanFM
No, not naturally talented - just hardworking. I got an A* in GCSE maths.

well done anyway! what did you get for you a levels if you don't mind me asking?
not really, not that many people take biology when they do a maths degree although you still could if you wanted to

oh :frown:

in your first month or so of A levels you could always swap further maths for something else if you find it is too difficult. I'd say that you do it because by not doing so, you'd not be able to apply to many maths courses
in your first month or so of A levels you could always swap further maths for something else if you find it is too difficult. I'd say that you do it because by not doing so, you'd not be able to apply to many maths courses

ill think about it over the summer, only 2 people do it in my school and they are very VERY clever.
On the Trinity College Cambridge website it says that the preferred courses to take for A Levels to do maths in Trinity is Maths, Further Maths and Physics. However it said that physics could be replaced with a list of other subjects it gave and that subject may be a substitute for physics. They said that it 'may be a substitute' so does that mean that sometimes they won't allow it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
well done anyway! what did you get for you a levels if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks. :h:

I got an A* in Maths, A in Physics and Further Maths, B in Chemistry and English literature.
ill think about it over the summer, only 2 people do it in my school and they are very VERY clever.

I'm sure you are too :smile: what are you predicted in gcse maths?
Original post by SeanFM

I got an A* in Maths, A in Physics and Further Maths, B in Chemistry and English literature.

well done!!
Original post by SeanFM

You did 5 A Levels?? Wow lol thats so good and really good grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure you are too :smile: what are you predicted in gcse maths?

A*
can you do a maths degree without further maths and physics at a level?

Not having A level Physics would be a problem if you were to choose applied maths modules later on. Further maths is the key to success at easing the transition as some of the content is taught again.

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION
Universities requirements for a Maths degree:
- 'A' grade at A Level Maths (good)
- Further maths A level as part of your offer (very good)
- STEP 1/2/3 (elite)

TeeEm can shed some light on this. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
A*

that's great! At my school you have to get over 90% in the exams to do further maths, and so if you are constantly getting >90% I'm sure you'll be really good
Original post by Buses
Probably at lower down unis like Southampton, Manchester etc.

I wouldn't call university of Manchester a "lower down" university. Have you looked at its requirements for Maths -> A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest