The Student Room Group

How much do you want to earn in your 20s,30s,40s...?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Xysoo
Actually they dont.

% of an analyst class that get into PE is same % that get into IB: 1-2%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right, I was under the impression most move onto PE cos a lot of IB forums state that. Oh well, thanks for the info :smile:
These threads always confirm why people who really don't benefit from Tory governments vote Tory...
Original post by Mega0448
Agreed. People who aren't even in their chosen fields throwing around ridiculous numbers.

Anyway I'm late twenties now and earning £30k. My next promotion will take me to £47k which I hope to get within the next five years so early thirties.

For the work life balance of that job I'd be happy for a number of years, at least while I start a family and want to be at home more. Then after that go private and earn £60k+

'Oh look, let's point out how unrealistic and ridiculous other people's numbers are and then give ours; because, ours is much more realistic and likely'

At the end of the day, all we're doing is trying to predict the future. There's no point in downplaying others for it when you're doing the exact same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mega0448
Agreed. People who aren't even in their chosen fields throwing around ridiculous numbers.

Anyway I'm late twenties now and earning £30k. My next promotion will take me to £47k which I hope to get within the next five years so early thirties.

For the work life balance of that job I'd be happy for a number of years, at least while I start a family and want to be at home more. Then after that go private and earn £60k+

Your current and proposed figured almost exactly match mine. People saying £400K - £1m :rofl:
Original post by Xysoo
Actually they dont.

% of an analyst class that get into PE is same % that get into IB: 1-2%

Posted from TSR Mobile

You sure? I've seen the breakdown done by Vettery and they peg buyside exits at >40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would be happy to earn 30k a year. I just would like a stable life where I don't have to worry about money :smile:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Your current and proposed figured almost exactly match mine. People saying £400K - £1m :rofl:

Too funny.. There's always a couple self-righteous people on these threads - always.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not fussed at all really, I'd like to get to at least 30k in my life but I have no high monetary aspiration.
Original post by Reue
40k, 70k, 100k, Retire

how
Original post by Princepieman
Too funny.. There's always a couple self-righteous people on these threads - always.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which uni are you planing to go to? have you got the offer already?
Original post by tutorscience
Which uni are you planing to go to? have you got the offer already?

Warwick/UCL - probs Warwick. Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
I'm not really fussed. So long as I have enough to live on comfortably, I really don't mind. Money really isn't a major motivation for me. So many things are so much more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Trapz99
Lol

Why is that funny
'Oh look, let's point out how unrealistic and ridiculous other people's numbers are and then give ours; because, ours is much more realistic and likely'

At the end of the day, all we're doing is trying to predict the future. There's no point in downplaying others for it when you're doing the exact same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough you make a good point.
22 - 50k
23 - Promotion, now at 100k
25 - Successfully earn the trust of a senior employee before stabbing them in the back, taking their place, 500k
35 - Unimaginably rich, net worth probably about 1.3 trillion.
38 - Invade the Czech Republic and Slovakia with my private army
40 - Invade Denmark, France, Norway, Netherlands, Poland and a few others I can't be bothered to list.
45 - Sit on my throne as emperor of Europe.
50 - Go toe to toe with the Un meister.

Got a bit carried away, sorry...
Why is TSR so fake
Reply 56
You sure? I've seen the breakdown done by Vettery and they peg buyside exits at >40%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Link?

lol, that number is definitely wrong.

I have been interviewing for PE - applicants to offer ratio is like 1-2%. Most applicants come from IB, with ofc some from other industries like Big 4 / Consulting / Other finance related, but IB is lion share of applicants.

PE also only take cream of the crop. Most are biased towards BB applicants, and then even within that pool the people progressing through their rounds will be the top 10%.

edit: also depends on what they define as buyside. I am only referring to mid & large cap PE here. But their report might define buyside as WM, PE, asset management, pension funds etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Daniel9998
A chemical engineer would not make 6 figures in England no. But abroad yes. My uncle is a chemical engineer and works in saudi, he makes £800 a day. And Investment bankers make 100-200k in their 30s easily, by the age 40 you could be making 400k+

Don't forget the ridiculously high bonuses
Warwick/UCL - probs Warwick. Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subject r u doing?:smile:
Jesus some people have really unrealistic expectations and they're going to be very disappointed when they're older.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending