Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I was initially very surprised, particularly since if food is included any food distribution would be illegal. However upon reading the exempted substances list the act doesn't seem to do a lot. Is there anything that fits their definition that isn't in the list?
    Yes. Literally EVERYTHING is banned.

I've taken 5-HTP for years to treat my depression. You could buy it at Holland & Barrett. From April it becomes illegal.

Various supplements and herbal treatments for mental illness that you could buy over the counter are now illegal.

It was previously legal to buy small quantities of prescription drugs (like modafinil) from overseas, but that's now illegal to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)

I've taken 5-HTP for years to treat my depression. You could buy it at Holland & Barrett. From April it becomes illegal.
    This would be medical.
    Various supplements and herbal treatments for mental illness that you could buy over the counter are now illegal.
    I think most of these would either be medical or a mixture of food and caffeine. There may be some that are affected though.
    It was previously legal to buy small quantities of prescription drugs (like modafinil) from overseas, but that's now illegal to.
    This would be medical.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by JordanL_)

Oh crap I forgot about 5-HTP! I got that and a few other supplements from Amazon. I've a feeling it'll be ignored anyway. But the Act is just too vague.

Should be fine, this gives power to go after vendors who were making huge amounts I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Oh crap I forgot about 5-HTP! I got that and a few other supplements from Amazon. I've a feeling it'll be ignored anyway. But the Act is just too vague.

Should be fine, this gives power to go after vendors who were making huge amounts I suppose.
    5-htp is an AA not a psychoactive drug lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    This would be medical.

I think most of these would either be medical or a mixture of food and caffeine. There may be some that are affected though.

This would be medical.
    5-HTP certainly wouldn't be medical. Saying you're using it medicinally doesn't mean it's a medical product, otherwise anything banned by this law could be labelled "for medical use" and then be legal. Same goes for all the other OTC treatments.

Modafinil might be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    5-htp is an AA not a psychoactive drug lol
    It's psychoactive as defined by the Psychoactive Substances Act:

(2) For the purposes of this Act a substance produces a psychoactive effect in a person if, by stimulating or depressing the person’s central nervous system, it affects the person’s mental functioning or emotional state; and references to a substance’s psychoactive effects are to be read accordingly.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Selling Benzos like candy is irresponsible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    Selling Benzos like candy is irresponsible.
    They are already treated as a class B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.