TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Lmao carbs being satiating. Please tell that to anyone with a bag of crisps

Fats and protein are infinitely more satiating

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63066661")
    63066661[/url]]Why are you recommending MyFitnessPal?
    Because it is a full proof way of losing weight or gaining weight.

(Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63066705")
    63066705[/url]]This thread is riddled with ridiculous advise
    That coincided with your first post, before that this thread was doing just fine.
    (Original post by cherryred90s;[url="tel:63066797")
    63066797[/url]]Does this mean that weight loss is achieved through diet?
    It is largely achieved through diet. However, exercise can have a very, very significant effect on weight loss.
    Do not listen to him. Track calories, eat under TDEE, lose weight. Simple.

(Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63066993")
    63066993[/url]]I would advise you to start cycling if you want to become more active and have permenant weight loss. Gym is for temporary weight loss.
    Cycling burns more calories than the gym, agree with that.
    Last two sentences.... I can't even deal.

(Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63067145")
    63067145[/url]]MFP is a temporary weight loss scheme. If you are clued up about nutrition, you'd advice someone to be more active by perhaps, picking up cycling, and eat a satiated diet. Burning 1k/day is not hard if you're avtive. Please stop giving stupid advice unless you are able to clearly justify what you are saying.
    Stop peddling your anti- MFP agenda. Cool bro, we ALL get it. You don't track calories. Nobody cares. It is far better if you do.
    No just calories, but vitamin intake can also be tracked.

(Original post by cherryred90s;[url="tel:63067319")
    63067319[/url]]& what impact will healthy eating have if you don't do regular exercise?
    It will make sure you get the vitamins you need to function and for long-term health ie fruig and veg intake, calcium etc.

However, whether you lose weight or not is dependant on if you eat above, at or below your TDEE.

(Original post by SophieSmall;[url="tel:63070193")
    63070193[/url]]Stop pretending to be an expert and all superior. You're not an expert, nor a nutritionist which you have claimed several times. You're an a- level student with a pompous attitude.
    This.
    Lifts for 1.5 years, 90kg with visable abs. Doesn't track calories. Semi-pro cyclist, nutritionist. (Where is that Jack Wilshere meme when you need it!?! The 'ok mate' one...)

(Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63071227")
    63071227[/url]]I know more than you
    You don't. Your posts prove you know surprisingly little.
    (Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63071367")
    63071367[/url]]Well i very easily burn 1,000+ kcals a day:

13 mile commute to school - 600 kcals
    Gym - 300 kcals
    Normal daily activity - 300 kcals
    Cool. I burnt >1200 regularly during summer.

So what? I eat to compensate, tracked it all on MFP and made gains. Ate 3,500-4,000 calories a day for several months (not everyday but about 75%)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MountKimbie;[url="tel:63071483")
    63071483[/url]]how are you calculating these?

There are Studies have found that doing 4 sets of 8 deadlifts with 175 kilograms burns about 100 calories. That's somebody with a large amount of muscle. 300 calories in a gym session is...quite a lot, unless you're doing cardio.
    That is just one exercise tbh. A standard (1.5 hour long) gym session (lifting) would burn about 250-350 calories imo. More if you are a bigger guy... So 300 calories is a fair claim/estimate from him imo

(Original post by 999tigger;[url="tel:63071515")
    63071515[/url]]Weight loss is achieved bia a calorific deficit period.
    Knwing how many calories you are consuming is the most effective way of determining whether you are at deficit or not.
    Agree 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    His posts are quite hilarious.

And his claims are so beyond false I can barely contain myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is common sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unistudent77)
    That is just one exercise tbh. A standard (1.5 hour long) gym session (lifting) would burn about 250-350 calories imo. More if you are a bigger guy... So 300 calories is a fair claim/estimate from him imo

Agree 100%
    Despite me being 300 lbs or 100 lbs, the mechanistic data analysis did not account for protein biosythesis.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63072749")
    63072749[/url]]It is common sense
    Your trolling game is strong today, some might say... Stronger even than your (make believe) bench

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeologyMaths)
    It is common sense
    So a bottle of coke is more satiating than a bag of pistachio nuts worth the same amount of calories?

ReputationRep:

Depends entirely on the exercise selection, amount of reps/sets done, the weight used, the muscle mass of the lifter etc.

Deadlift is a 'whole body' exercise whatever that means. Uses a lot of muscle to get that weight off the floor. Burns more calories than a bicep curl, that's for sure. There probably isn't that many people on this forum that could deadlift 175kg for 4 sets of 8 reps. To think that lifting that much weight for 32 reps only burns 100 kcal?

ReputationRep:
    Because it is a full proof way of losing weight or gaining weight.

That coincided with your first post, before that this thread was doing just fine.

It is largely achieved through diet. However, exercise can have a very, very significant effect on weight loss.
    Do not listen to him. Track calories, eat under TDEE, lose weight. Simple.

Cycling burns more calories than the gym, agree with that.
    Last two sentences.... I can't even deal.

Stop peddling your anti- MFP agenda. Cool bro, we ALL get it. You don't track calories. Nobody cares. It is far better if you do.
    No just calories, but vitamin intake can also be tracked.

It will make sure you get the vitamins you need to function and for long-term health ie fruig and veg intake, calcium etc.

However, whether you lose weight or not is dependant on if you eat above, at or below your TDEE.

This.
    Lifts for 1.5 years, 90kg with visable abs. Doesn't track calories. Semi-pro cyclist, nutritionist. (Where is that Jack Wilshere meme when you need it!?! The 'ok mate' one...)

You don't. Your posts prove you know surprisingly little.

Cool. I burnt >1200 regularly during summer.

So what? I eat to compensate, tracked it all on MFP and made gains. Ate 3,500-4,000 calories a day for several months (not everyday but about 75%)
    1. Whilst it can be a method for losing weight, it is not sustainable. If you advice someone to use MFP as a mere means of losing weight, you are cluless

2. No comment

3. It is not about cycling burning more calories than gym, but it is the fact that cycling is a lifestyle more than a shortcut to losing 5kg like MfP and for those newbies who start gym.

4. If you are telling me i should count my vitamin and calorific intake (esp vitamin), you are immensely uneducated.

5. I'm nearly done here... There is no reason to count especially vitamins if you are eating a balanced unprocessed plant based diet. And besides, come on, who count micronutritients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    So a bottle of coke is more satiating than a bag of pistachio nuts worth the same amount of calories?
    No. "Unprocessed".

ReputationRep:
    No. "Unprocessed".
    define processed?

Is pasta processed? is milk processed?

And how on earth is cycling a life style? Weightlifting is a lifestyle, because your work outside the gym is just as, if not, more important than the work you do at the gym.

ReputationRep:
    It is much more difficult to burn 1000 calories than you think. You should not trust the counters in those gyms. If you jog for an hour, you may burn 250 calories, maybe more, but 1000 requires olympic endurance. Exercise is only the most marginal contributor to weight loss - intake is the key.

ReputationRep:
    define processed?

Is pasta processed? is milk processed?

And how on earth is cycling a life style? Weightlifting is a lifestyle, because your work outside the gym is just as, if not, more important than the work you do at the gym.
    I use my bike to commute to school, to any errands, go literally anywhere that's < 50 miles. How many people swim/gym/run to work?

ReputationRep:
    I use my bike to commute to school, to any errands, go literally anywhere that's < 50 miles. How many people swim/gym/run to work?
    So is driving a car a lifestyle?

I use my bike to get around as well.

ReputationRep:
    So is driving a car a lifestyle?

I use my bike to get around as well.
    Yes driving is a lifestyle, you are not burning by doing it though. You are missing my point

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to argue with the truth?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else want to argue with the truth?
    Make another thread if you want a discussion. Let's not change the topic of the OP.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    I'll clean this thread when I'm on a computer. GM can have his own thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by MountKimbie;[url="tel:63072933")
    63072933[/url]]Depends entirely on the exercise selection, amount of reps/sets done, the weight used, the muscle mass of the lifter etc.

Deadlift is a 'whole body' exercise whatever that means. Uses a lot of muscle to get that weight off the floor. Burns more calories than a bicep curl, that's for sure. There probably isn't that many people on this forum that could deadlift 175kg for 4 sets of 8 reps. To think that lifting that much weight for 32 reps only burns 100 kcal?
    Ok, fair but it is fairly relative bro. Like the weight for the person, if you are training at your working set and to failure (or close to) then whether it is 175kg or 120kg isn't that significant imo.

Add in bench, bicep exercise, tricep exercise, shoulder exercise(s), back exercise etc should all cumulatively add up to 250 calories or above imo.

Walking the dogs for 30 mins (slow 2.5mph pace) burns 100 calories (according to MFP) so i would be confident hitting the gym would burn well in excess of this figure.

MFP puts it at around 300 calories for 80 mins. These are all rough estimates obviously

(Original post by GeologyMaths;[url="tel:63073897")
    63073897[/url]]Anyone else want to argue with the truth?
    Bro, you've been ripped apart and REKT throughout this thread....
    Give it a break

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.