The Student Room Group

What are your thoughts on disability discrimination?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by illegaltobepoor
People where taught to respect the rights of people with different skin colors, religion and sexuality for the past 20 years but discrimination still happens so you would be wrong there.

No wants to hide in fear due to prejudice but you need to be a realist, grow a thicker skin and realize there is always going to be those who don't want to adjust their ways to incorporate you as a person.

What I find puzzling is you say the following:

" I am a high functioning Autistic and also have ADHD and don't want to hide in fear in a so-called "disability zone".
And then you say.
"An Autistic person can not avoid bright light, loud sounds etc when in public they will always be there"

Then how about this:

"in workplaces there should be suitable adjustments made for disabled people".
And then you say:
"the person should have coping strategies".

There is a lot of contradiction here. Perhaps you where struggling to get your words the right way round. I think I should dismiss this because I suffer from similar communication problems.

It doesn't matter what laws the Government brings in to try and create progress from the base of affirmative action. Businesses will simply restructure and avoid the equality act 2010 by legal loop holes.

I actually find all this legislation a hindrance to finding employment and often give employers the information they need to employ me while at the same time avoiding their responsibilities to make adjustments for my employment.

Its like the min-wage. It takes the lower rungs off the job ladder for less able people.

You've made a lot of valid points which I do support but I am afraid the rest of the world isn't making adaptations for disabled people. They see us as useless eaters, expendable containers etc etc.

If disabled people are to get ahead we need to start enabling ourselves though mutual collaboration and build communities which we own that enable us to then go onto do bigger and better things.

This means we need to literally own the land and buildings and nothing should be owned by Government because if it is you can bet that Government will liquidate public assets in times of austerity. And they'll hit the disabled first as they always do.

We live in a Capitalist economy. The whole structure of the economy is set against us. If we are to bare fruit and increase our production as a social class we need to first build the infrastructure that will allow us to do it.

Government laws won't work and public infrastructure has been destroyed with a simple pen stroke. Remploy is the best example. This is why we need to build our own communities, our own factories and our own "DISABILITY FRIENDLY ZONES".

I agree with the fact that discrimination will exist in society regardless of how much we try to educate the future generations to come. I still would never hide in fear behind walls due to these disgusting people that would be like letting them win. I am realistic in life and know I will meet such people no matter what, have done in the past and will continue to do. I just generally prefer to stay away from such people and ignore them. I have faced discrimination on various occasions

Let me give you an example of one of my experiences when I was in girl guides. I got refused on a camping trip because the guider thought I won't be able to cope on my own due to various difficulties with my Autism communication being a major one. The guider gave everyone else a letter except me and told my dad it won't be a good idea for me to come. Another experience with the same guider with a theme park trip she gave letters to everyone else except myself because she thought I won't be able to cope with rides. I have bloody been to Alton towers and similar parks and also had been on various overnight trips with school. I had assumptions made about myself without actually being asked if I could handle it.

The disability zones are not a completely bad idea but you would still have to go out in public and would still face bright lights and loud sounds on the roads minimum till you manage to reach a zone. Those zones can be used as a coping mechanism but you cannot completely avoid the bright lights, loud sounds etc they will somehow be there. I hate loud sounds and can get quite agaitated but still manage to keep calm in public and having a bit of tolerance is neccessary,

I stick with my words that workplaces should make suitable adjustments for disabled people and should do as much as they can. If the problem is with loud sounds and it's a noisy workplace having a quiet environment to work in can be quite difficult. I meant for certain issues which are very difficult for employers to address you should try to create coping mechanisms yourself.

What I said I meant it and was not due to my severe communication issues which are only verbal. I agree that many employers do avoid hiring disabled people due to the hassle with adjustments but everyone is not the same.
Building communities with disabled people people is not a bad idea and don't see it doing harm but don't agree with your view on the government.The government provides so many benefits for the disabled including myself and have received a lot of support from the government. I don't distrust the government due to the equality I have received from them.

I do trust the government but with employement the equality act does somehow work against you when applying for jobs. Having our own workforce would be a good idea due to the treatement in workplaces sometimes not making adjustments, avoiding making them and being insensitive.
Original post by Tinka99

Let me give you an example of one of my experiences when I was in girl guides. I got refused on a camping trip because the guider thought I won't be able to cope on my own due to various difficulties with my Autism communication being a major one. The guider gave everyone else a letter except me and told my dad it won't be a good idea for me to come. Another experience with the same guider with a theme park trip she gave letters to everyone else except myself because she thought I won't be able to cope with rides. I have bloody been to Alton towers and similar parks and also had been on various overnight trips with school. I had assumptions made about myself without actually being asked if I could handle it.

Urgh. Surely, that's ultamately up to you and your dad? You know your needs better than anyone else. It's not up to anyone else to decide. Bit different (as is my situation) if it was you went, struggled and were then told "because you struggled, we don't think it would be a good idea for you ro come next year". Or rather, I've been told I can go if I sort out my issues.

I've had similar ridiculous assumptions made about me too.
Being an impaired person myself, I can say that fortunately I haven’t experienced this too many times, but I have been on the receiving end. In school, they almost stopped me from being allowed to take swimming lessons with my class even though I would have been fully capable. I fought my case and was allowed but it wasn’t fair that they tried to stop me when I would have been fine. There have been multiple times that people have said some awful things. Discrimination shouldn’t exist, and there is certainly no justifying it - discrimination is discrimination, whether you attempt to justify it or not, and it’s disgusting.
Reply 43
Original post by NancarrowSunset
Being an impaired person myself, I can say that fortunately I haven’t experienced this too many times, but I have been on the receiving end. In school, they almost stopped me from being allowed to take swimming lessons with my class even though I would have been fully capable. I fought my case and was allowed but it wasn’t fair that they tried to stop me when I would have been fine.

I assume they were responding to official advice on the matter, if in a rather heavy handed way? (or the potential of being sued)

Discrimination shouldn’t exist, and there is certainly no justifying it - discrimination is discrimination, whether you attempt to justify it or not, and it’s disgusting.

To take but an example, say someone with a degenerative muscle wasting disease (or some such) applies for a job involving heavy lifting are you saying the company has no grounds on which to tell them to go away?
Discrimination might be 'disgusting' in many cases but it is also a fact of life as well no? People being either capable or incapable of what is being asked of them.
Original post by Napp
I assume they were responding to official advice on the matter, if in a rather heavy handed way? (or the potential of being sued)

To take but an example, say someone with a degenerative muscle wasting disease (or some such) applies for a job involving heavy lifting are you saying the company has no grounds on which to tell them to go away?
Discrimination might be 'disgusting' in many cases but it is also a fact of life as well no? People being either capable or incapable of what is being asked of them.

In response to your second point - people who are disabled know their limits, so your example of someone with degenerative muscle wasting disease applying for a job involving heavy lifting is very unlikely to ever happen. I would never apply to a job involving a lot of phone calls that are important, or a job in which I would need to be able to hear well, because I know that kind of job is not suitable for me. Realistically, yes sometimes a person with a disability will bite off more than they can chew, and need to be told that a job is not suitable for them, but this is very very rare. So no, discrimination is not a fact of life, people who are impaired or disabled should be treated the same as everybody else.

The discrimination I was talking about more was the harsh comments and horrible words that are thrown towards people with disabilities. I wear hearing aids and I've been told at times that they look silly, or that I'm faking being deaf and I'm doing it all for attention. Or even worse, people wouldn't let me sit with them or play with them as a child because I wore them - the fact that children are behaving like that sheds a little light on how parents behave - how else would they know to refuse to accept a disabled person into the group? I think the main thing is that a lot of comments and discrimination is completely unnecessary and hurtful, and some people do need to take a look at the damage they're doing, and change their ways.
Reply 45
Original post by NancarrowSunset
In response to your second point - people who are disabled know their limits, so your example of someone with degenerative muscle wasting disease applying for a job involving heavy lifting is very unlikely to ever happen. I would never apply to a job involving a lot of phone calls that are important, or a job in which I would need to be able to hear well, because I know that kind of job is not suitable for me. Realistically, yes sometimes a person with a disability will bite off more than they can chew, and need to be told that a job is not suitable for them, but this is very very rare. So no, discrimination is not a fact of life, people who are impaired or disabled should be treated the same as everybody else.

It was but an example, a fairly egregious one but nevertheless the point stands. People of all shapes and stripes regularly apply for jobs they're manifestly not suitable for (having worked in recruitment before i am happy to attest to some of the incredibly odd applications we received).
Indeed they should be treated the same, up to a point at any rate. It does, however, start becoming necessary to treat them differently in certain circumstances and the need to acknowledge this is rather basic. Be it if someone is blind, mentally retarded or so on. You simply cannot treat them the same as other people at all times. That isnt to say you should be cruel or such but you do need to acknowledge that they are different and work around it.

The discrimination I was talking about more was the harsh comments and horrible words that are thrown towards people with disabilities. I wear hearing aids and I've been told at times that they look silly, or that I'm faking being deaf and I'm doing it all for attention. Or even worse, people wouldn't let me sit with them or play with them as a child because I wore them - the fact that children are behaving like that sheds a little light on how parents behave - how else would they know to refuse to accept a disabled person into the group? I think the main thing is that a lot of comments and discrimination is completely unnecessary and hurtful, and some people do need to take a look at the damage they're doing, and change their ways.

Unfortunately, and whilst you have my sympathy, you will always have people like that - it being a rather ancient if distasteful act by some. However what i am saying is entirely different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending