Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Remember it's better to good in 3 A levels instead of doing bad in 5 A levels. You can do it I know you have the potential to get the grades you want but focus on three subjects that you want to go into. If you're struggling then just go on https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx
    This will help you decide what you would want to do for A levels, Uni and the future etc. It also tells you the jobs you can have with the subjects you're studying
    I might not of been much help but this is the best I can do; good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    4 or 3 good a levels > 5 ok a levels.
    Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hambi123)
    Remember it's better to good in 3 A levels instead of doing bad in 5 A levels. You can do it I know you have the potential to get the grades you want but focus on three subjects that you want to go into. If you're struggling then just go on https://nationalcareersservice.direc...ages/Home.aspx
    This will help you decide what you would want to do for A levels, Uni and the future etc. It also tells you the jobs you can have with the subjects you're studying
    I might not of been much help but this is the best I can do; good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You were so much help. Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 5 with Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography and Biology.

However, a marked difference between my subjects and yours is that I do maths and further maths. At AS, these two subjects are essentially blurred into what feels like one relatively easy but huge subject. Your subjects are more varied so I expect you will have to work harder (or be smarter than me ).

I would argue that it does not take a genius to do 5 but you need to be ready to commit a lot of time to it. AS levels aren't that hard (I know I've jinxed it now) but when you do A level/A2, you definitely need to drop 1 or 2.

I admit that universities are unlikely to care about a fifth AS but if you considering the top universities, they expect you to be able to handle that many subjects even if you didn't take them.

Oh and one more thing. Remember what you want to do at uni and beyond, it might help with your decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilaera Supola)
    I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you.
    Honestly, I would not recommend doing it. Most people that do this (and there are not many that do) do not get as high grades as they would have had they done 4 AS/A Levels. You only need 3 A levels to go to University (+ an AS Level for some, if your school offers them), and Universities do not favour those with 5 over others.

You will be spreading yourself very thinly, especially over varied subjects like 2 essay based and 3 science/mathematic based. Honestly, look at what degree you want, what you need for it and do those. Getting top grades, such as A*A*A, A*AA, etc (I assume you'd be getting the top grades to be looking at doing 5) versus getting grades such as AAABB, AABBB, etc, will be favourable to the top Universities.

Furthermore, you will not have much (if any) free time - especially during the second year. This free time could be used to do things that will boost your UCAS application, such as essay competitions, summer schools, masterclasses, workshops and conferences, or even to simply do things you enjoy, such as sports or instrumental lessons and exams.

Do all 5 if you wish, but you'd be foolish to waste your time doing unnecessary qualifications that could, in the long run, hinder you and what you could have achieved had you done 4 AS/3 A levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    I'm doing 5 with Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Geography and Biology.

However, a marked difference between my subjects and yours is that I do maths and further maths. At AS, these two subjects are essentially blurred into what feels like one relatively easy but huge subject. Your subjects are more varied so I expect you will have to work harder (or be smarter than me ).

I would argue that it does not take a genius to do 5 but you need to be ready to commit a lot of time to it. AS levels aren't that hard (I know I've jinxed it now) but when you do A level/A2, you definitely need to drop 1 or 2.

I admit that universities are unlikely to care about a fifth AS but if you considering the top universities, they expect you to be able to handle that many subjects even if you didn't take them.

Oh and one more thing. Remember what you want to do at uni and beyond, it might help with your decision.
    Thank you so much.

I agree with you and you give really good advice. I hope you achieve your dreams.
    Ah thanks so much!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    Honestly, I would not recommend doing it. Most people that do this (and there are not many that do) do not get as high grades as they would have had they done 4 AS/A Levels. You only need 3 A levels to go to University (+ an AS Level for some, if your school offers them), and Universities do not favour those with 5 over others.

You will be spreading yourself very thinly, especially over varied subjects like 2 essay based and 3 science/mathematic based. Honestly, look at what degree you want, what you need for it and do those. Getting top grades, such as A*A*A, A*AA, etc (I assume you'd be getting the top grades to be looking at doing 5) versus getting grades such as AAABB, AABBB, etc, will be favourable to the top Universities.

Furthermore, you will not have much (if any) free time - especially during the second year. This free time could be used to do things that will boost your UCAS application, such as essay competitions, summer schools, masterclasses, workshops and conferences, or even to simply do things you enjoy, such as sports or instrumental lessons and exams.

Do all 5 if you wish, but you'd be foolish to waste your time doing unnecessary qualifications that could, in the long run, hinder you and what you could have achieved had you done 4 AS/3 A levels.
    Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I want to do English literature, History, Maths, Chemistry and physics. At first I was picking between physics and chemisty but I wanted to do both of them but I feel as though 5 a levels would be a lot of work. However, I cannot pick from them.

Does anyone have any advide please? Thank you.
    how do you organise your notes on files for each subject ? do you have your own study room in your house ?

if so, then yes, it is very easy and possible

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.