Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it time all illegal drugs are legalised? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Is it time all illegal drugs are legalised?
    Yes
    41.33%
    No
    58.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal World)
    These things are necessary evils. The acronym was both poetic and apt. And I need you to validate it otherwise I feel insecure all day.
    i have just replied to your splendid acronym !

:smug:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    But they don't? Smoking - okay, what, long term possibility of lung and mouth cancers. Cocaine? Bye-bye nasal cavity, bladder control, healthy heart function, and in some cases, mental health.

Alcohol: in moderation does nothing too bad? Sometimes it can even be healthy to have a glass if wine or whatever, I just do not see the comparison.

I do get that all three cause harm but I hate the comparison.
    Thing there, is, it's well established that it's the fillers in cocaine that tend to cause problems rather than the actual drug, such as banned dewormers causing corrosion of the nose cavity and immune problems. Cocaine in the UK is typically up to 30% pure, tops. Having access to a pure store-bought product would eliminate a lot of problems. Not saying coke wouldn't cause issues itself with long term use of course, but then so can **** and booze.

I totally get the comparison between alcohol and other drugs. Both are mind-altering substances that you put in your body, difference is alcohol is socially acceptable. If alcohol was only just invented and someone said "This is ethanol, you drink it and it'll get you all ****ed up!" a lot of people would frown upon such a thing and the newspapers would be printing horror stories about this new drug that can damage your liver and leave you vulnerable to unprotected sex and sexual assault :lol:

ReputationRep:
    No but you can shake off the effects of a bad night out drinking whereas marijuanna use will eventually lead to a deterioration in your mental health. HOWEVER, please note that in my original statement I said I can understand the legalisation of marijuanna.

As for pills, I can also partially understand but do not condone legalisation - people have died on ecstasy. One guy died not long ago from taking a pill of ecstasy at a rave. However, I can accept that legalisation would probably mean what they are manufactured with can be managed and controlled.

I just have to add though mate: two wrongs don't make a right? You shouldn't go, "drugs drugs drugs wooo" just because alcohol is legal and causes long-term harm. Also, alcohol doesn't intrinsically cause violent behaviour - it depends on the person.

Just wondering here but I thought cannabis was actually much more damaging to the lungs? I mean, I could be wrong but I thought I had read that somewhere.
    in reference to your last point, I had actually read the opposite? That it was slightly better? Either way it's damaging.

As for people dying due to ecstasy, this is true but people also die from alcohol poisoning/related issues. According to the office of national statistics for England only 6 people died in the last year due to 'ecstacy-type drugs" compared to way more alcohol. (http://www.drugwise.org.uk/how-many-...ie-from-drugs/)

I'm not saying everyone should be taking drugs, I just don't think that people who do chose to do them should face being criminalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i have just replied to your splendid acronym !

:smug:
    Thanks
    Hubby,
    Ethereal

Beams
    Ecstatically
    And
    Revels

ReputationRep:
    Pal, my brother had a cocaine addiction - I know what I'm talking about. You can't take cocaine responsibly - it is something you should just leave the **** alone.

You're making these comparisons like it validates legalising more things that cause harm? What logic is that? Change the alcohol laws then, campaign for that.

I already addressed marijuanna and LSD/Ecstasy.

I don't really know anything about mushrooms so I'm not going to comment on it.
    The majority of people that have tried cocaine do not get addicted to it. We try it, enjoy it, and respect it and therefore don't do it often. Then a time comes when we don't feel the need to take it. Responsible usage. Same with any drug.

I don't take cocaine and never will but I know lots of people that do. I didn't see your comments with regard to lsd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Thing there, is, it's well established that it's the fillers in cocaine that tend to cause problems rather than the actual drug, such as banned dewormers causing corrosion of the nose cavity and immune problems. Cocaine in the UK is typically up to 30% pure, tops. Having access to a pure store-bought product would eliminate a lot of problems. Not saying coke wouldn't cause issues itself with long term use of course, but then so can **** and booze.

I totally get the comparison between alcohol and other drugs. Both are mind-altering substances that you put in your body, difference is alcohol is socially acceptable. If alcohol was only just invented and someone said "This is ethanol, you drink it and it'll get you all ****ed up!" a lot of people would frown upon such a thing and the newspapers would be printing horror stories about this new drug that can damage your liver and leave you vulnerable to unprotected sex and sexual assault :lol:
    I think that you raise a valid point and maybe that should be explored but I also think you'd just begin finding out other issues and it just runs away from being the filters into something else, you know? Also, I don't think the alcohol and smoking effects are comparable to the effects of cocaine abuse.

The sad thing is, we talk about moderation and all that whilst ignoring the fact that far too many people cannot be sensible with drugs and a lot of people think they are being good with it until it screws them over and then you go beyond the point.

But like I say, I'm not blinded against the reality that legalisation has benefits I just don't think it's the answer to our issues on this.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Hubby,
    Ethereal

Beams
    Ecstatically
    And
    Revels
    hope you like my long one :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by contradicta)
    in reference to your last point, I had actually read the opposite? That it was slightly better? Either way it's damaging.

As for people dying due to ecstasy, this is true but people also die from alcohol poisoning/related issues. According to the office of national statistics for England only 6 people died in the last year due to 'ecstacy-type drugs" compared to way more alcohol. (http://www.drugwise.org.uk/how-many-...ie-from-drugs/)

I'm not saying everyone should be taking drugs, I just don't think that people who do chose to do them should face being criminalised.
    Again, you just keep comparing it to alcohol like that makes it better mate? Maybe both shouldn't be a thing, I don't know - I just don't see the logic behind going "oh, both harm... so both should be legal, wooooo". I do respect those statistics but maybe what needs to be done is sorting out drinking culture and alcohol selling or whatever to try and decrease those issues rather than going, "yeah so society is already dealing with one big health issue, lets just pile on another set in the form of drugs because it makes me feel like a kite on nights out."

They don't though? A lot of people using are left, it's normally when they distribute. Hence why drugs are such an issue in todays world because the police can't do much, mate unless you are causing harm to others (which you can be said to be doing via selling) or acting as a danger to society - i.e: DUI and so on.

ReputationRep:
    This is why I feel drugs should not be legal. People can't drink responsibly so imagine if they got their hands on LSD. Thirty people arrive in A&E having a nightmare trip for no damn reason (they could of got everythng right, set, setting, dosage, trip sitter) and it can still go wrong. What do you do then? What is a doctor or nurse going to do?

I just think we don't need to add more chemicals to the mix.

ivybridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    hope you like my long one :giggle:
    I do indeed. :sexface:

Tho I shan't be getting them out for the lads, only for
    gentlemen :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I do indeed. :sexface:

Tho I shan't be getting them out for the lads, only for
    gentlemen :yep:
    :top2:

top wench ! more bolly ?

:ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I want to wake and bake then taken acid for breakfast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is a difficult one because I grew up in the Netherlands where drugs are mostly tolerated [even if they are illegal, if you're not bothering anyone you probably won't get reported]. However, in the UK I find people to be less mature when exposed to drugs and alcohol, and I'm not sure why so these opinions are based on my thoughts of legalization in the UK:

Perhaps try de-criminalising first and adjust it so that if you are under the influence of drugs, especially hard drugs, you will get offered the help you need to get off of them if you so choose. I don't think marijuana, hash, shrooms or ecstasy really deserve to be considered hard drugs but rather placed completely legal.

Remember that lots of underground circles such as pimping and human trafficking use drugs as bait and/or to keep victims in the underground business. With legalisation and regulation they couldn't really do this anymore.

There are lots of options - maybe hard drugs should be legalized, but then you have to take them in a certain place and you have to buy them there as well? I heard of 'shoot up clinics' somewhere that allow heroin users to use heroin there; they're not on the street, so they're safe as well as away from the public, and at least they have a chance at rehab.

The drug world has really gone crazy and I think to fully legalize drugs would require people to become a lot more mature and responsible as well as open minded, which tbh based on the way the UK abuses alcohol I'm not sure is a good idea. Until we teach our young people that it's not cool to be lying in a pile of vomit in the gutter then I'm not sure introducing more drugs is a good thing.

[TLDR; I think it's really dependent on the culture of the country, in the Netherlands where I'm from, I'd say yes, in the UK where I study, I'd say it needs to take a long time to adjust into the thought of it.]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mieka)
    This is a difficult one because I grew up in the Netherlands where drugs are mostly tolerated [even if they are illegal, if you're not bothering anyone you probably won't get reported]. However, in the UK I find people to be less mature when exposed to drugs and alcohol, and I'm not sure why so these opinions are based on my thoughts of legalization in the UK:

Perhaps try de-criminalising first and adjust it so that if you are under the influence of drugs, especially hard drugs, you will get offered the help you need to get off of them if you so choose. I don't think marijuana, hash, shrooms or ecstasy really deserve to be considered hard drugs but rather placed completely legal.

Remember that lots of underground circles such as pimping and human trafficking use drugs as bait and/or to keep victims in the underground business. With legalisation and regulation they couldn't really do this anymore.

There are lots of options - maybe hard drugs should be legalized, but then you have to take them in a certain place and you have to buy them there as well? I heard of 'shoot up clinics' somewhere that allow heroin users to use heroin there; they're not on the street, so they're safe as well as away from the public, and at least they have a chance at rehab.

The drug world has really gone crazy and I think to fully legalize drugs would require people to become a lot more mature and responsible as well as open minded, which tbh based on the way the UK abuses alcohol I'm not sure is a good idea. Until we teach our young people that it's not cool to be lying in a pile of vomit in the gutter then I'm not sure introducing more drugs is a good thing.

[TLDR; I think it's really dependent on the culture of the country, in the Netherlands where I'm from, I'd say yes, in the UK where I study, I'd say it needs to take a long time to adjust into the thought of it.]
    I agree completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    This is why I feel drugs should not be legal. People can't drink responsibly so imagine if they got their hands on LSD. Thirty people arrive in A&E having a nightmare trip for no damn reason (they could of got everythng right, set, setting, dosage, trip sitter) and it can still go wrong. What do you do then? What is a doctor or nurse going to do?

ivybridge
    Why do I sense sarcasm?

ReputationRep:

Administer an anti-psychotic.

ReputationRep:
    For those that are against the use of drugs, why/how would legalisation affect you?
    I would be more at risk of falling victim to a drug-induced or related crime or accident.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mieka)

Why do you think legalising drugs would prevent human traffickers from using them to enslave their victims?

ReputationRep:
    The majority of people that have tried cocaine do not get addicted to it. We try it, enjoy it, and respect it and therefore don't do it often. Then a time comes when we don't feel the need to take it. Responsible usage. Same with any drug.

I don't take cocaine and never will but I know lots of people that do. I didn't see your comments with regard to lsd.
    You can say that the majority of people would use it responsibly, but I don't think that's adequate reason to legalise the drug. If it ruins the lives of 10% of the people who use it, that's thousands of people we're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asklepios)
    so the problem of unregulated poor production standards will continue?
    i suppose i didn't think this out but just have them legalised and produced scientifically like blue sky methamphetamine

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.