Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indian Premier League 2016 Thread watch

• Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lord Samosa)
    As much I'm tempted to support RCB for Kohli, I think I'll stay loyal to my ethnicity and support Punjab :yep:
    no harm supporting both lol (unless its finals...)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Delhi's emphasis on SA players is very interesting. JP, Morris and Tahir. I hope they shine.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Delhi's emphasis on SA players is very interesting. JP, Morris and Tahir. I hope they shine.
    Tahir would definitely be a good option for indian pitches. also you forgot de Kock
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    I have no allegiances to any side. I like Buttler, but I'm an English middle-class white boy with no ties to India and very little knowledge of the country, aside from its cricketing greats.

So, TSR. Tell me who I should support...
    your choice dude, go for mumbai if you support butler (from a working class 3/4 indian, 1/4 african dude)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    your choice dude, go for mumbai if you support butler (from a working class 3/4 indian, 1/4 african dude)
    I may have to. Cheers pal.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still so furious that CSK had to split up... :mad:
    Can't watch Dhoni play against Raina and Jadeja :cry:
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by fastandfurious)
    I'm still so furious that CSK had to split up... :mad:
    Can't watch Dhoni play against Raina and Jadeja :cry:
    as a marathi, hope Pune thrash gujrat

ReputationRep:
    is Dinesh Karthik not playing this year ?
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by carolinrev)
    is Dinesh Karthik not playing this year ?
    hes playing for Gujarat but chances are they will probably pick Brendon mcculum as keeper
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by quasa)
    Tahir would definitely be a good option for indian pitches. also you forgot de Kock
    de Kock is a good player, but Tahir excites me. I think he's key for SA at the World Twenty20.

ReputationRep:
    With regards to English players in the IPL, surely it must clash with the English season? Doesn't the international England season start in like early may? The first test against SL starts in the middle of May and IPL must finish around that time, so where is the time for those who play test cricket to play in the IPL. They could, of course, play for half of the IPL or whatever, though.

Do you think many English players will play in the IPL despite this (in future years)?

One of the biggest problems I have with the IPL is that is far too long. Yes, it is T20 and includes many international stars, but constant cricket over a period of 6 or so weeks is too much, in my opinion. If it was an international tournament, I may think different though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Rcbs line up looks great as usual
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    de Kock is a good player, but Tahir excites me. I think he's key for SA at the World Twenty20.
    imo, tahir is probably the best spinner in the world atm. I wouldnt be surprised if he got purple cap this year in IPL / most wickets in world cup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    imo, tahir is probably the best spinner in the world atm. I wouldnt be surprised if he got purple cap this year in IPL / most wickets in world cup
    Ashwin>Tahir, any day of the week.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    With regards to English players in the IPL, surely it must clash with the English season? Doesn't the international England season start in like early may? The first test against SL starts in the middle of May and IPL must finish around that time, so where is the time for those who play test cricket to play in the IPL. They could, of course, play for half of the IPL or whatever, though.

Do you think many English players will play in the IPL despite this (in future years)?

One of the biggest problems I have with the IPL is that is far too long. Yes, it is T20 and includes many international stars, but constant cricket over a period of 6 or so weeks is too much, in my opinion. If it was an international tournament, I may think different though :lol:
    firstly, the ECB absolutely hates ipl (they are traditionalists and feel that england should focus more on tst/county cricket).
    also some of the english players are likely to miss a few matches (butler confirmed to do so more or less).
    secondly, ECB seems to be softening, but it remains to be seen

thirdly, there used to be a tournament known as the champions league t20. prettymuch all the top teams from each country (top 3/4 ipl and big bash, top 3 country, top 3 carribean, top 3 SA and top bengali/pakistani league teams) would play each other in september. the english league was actually involved till 2012, when the ECB decided to pull out as it clashed with country test season. Last year, the t20 champions league was cancelled due to low tv figures
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ashwin>Tahir, any day of the week.
    I concur.

That said, I think Australia and England (with Lyon and Moeen/Rashid respectively) would kill for a Tahir.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    firstly, the ECB absolutely hates ipl (they are traditionalists and feel that england should focus more on tst/county cricket).
    also some of the english players are likely to miss a few matches (butler confirmed to do so more or less).
    secondly, ECB seems to be softening, but it remains to be seen

thirdly, there used to be a tournament known as the champions league t20. prettymuch all the top teams from each country (top 3/4 ipl and big bash, top 3 country, top 3 carribean, top 3 SA and top bengali/pakistani league teams) would play each other in september. the english league was actually involved till 2012, when the ECB decided to pull out as it clashed with country test season. Last year, the t20 champions league was cancelled due to low tv figures
    The scheduling of the IPL makes it hard for many of the English players to come to the IPL anyway. The IPL isn't really the best warm up to an English summer of test cricket, county cricket is much better. Obviously, those that aren't in the test team like Eoin Morgan will play in the IPL. I am actually quite happy that the ECB regard test cricket as the pinnacle, because it really is. Those that decide to play T20 cricket instead of playing test matches are idiots, to be honest.

The champions league T20 was a massive flop. They should just leave it as it is for the time being.

ReputationRep:
    I concur.

That said, I think Australia and England (with Lyon and Moeen/Rashid respectively) would kill for a Tahir.
    I guess, especially in limited overs cricket. Tahir has been exceptional for SA recently.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I guess, especially in limited overs cricket. Tahir has been exceptional for SA recently.
    Australia seemed to specifically and systematically target him today.

I was surprised SA didn't manage to get enough. Their run rate slowed towards the end of the innings. Amla should have really struck a century.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PUNJAB lads, I've got a feeling this is the time!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.