Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Spine breakers: What condition are your books in? watch

• View Poll Results: Breaking the spine of a brand new book?
    Yay
    35.71%
    Nay
    64.29%

ReputationRep:
    I spilled coffee over half of my books at the beginning of last term

ReputationRep:
    I generally look after books, library books I was sick all over my own personal copy of The History of Western Architecture. I do have books I treasure though like, Palladio's Four Books of Architecture.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the middle about the whole thing. I quite like seeing well-worn books (to an extent) on my shelf as I will often re-read the same biographies multiple times, and it reminds that I'm getting a good use out of them. Simultaneously, I despair seeing my Dad fold the corners of pages as bookmarks and pulling the book so far apart that pages risk falling out.

I lent my friend some Harry Potter books, they came back looking like they had been through a war-zone.
    I was like 'How many times did you ****ing read it?'

ReputationRep:
    I have to 'ruin' books in order to get the most out of them.
    I break the spine as soon as I open a book in order for it to lay flat on a desk or be read with one hand.
    I've also developed a habit of pencil underlining key points in non-fiction books and then writing small summaries of chapters in pencil on the first page of the chapter.
    I'm sure it would make some people cry in despair but it helps me gather my thoughts - hope the books I read don't become valuable in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I never break the spines of my books. You can look through books I've read 100 times and the only sign you'd have that they weren't new is the unavoidable yellowing creeping on the pages.

My best friend bends the spine back before she's even read a word. Claims it's easier to read (which I kind of understand, I can't hold a book one handed when reading and not spine breaking) and also makes her books look 'loved'. I personally think if you loved it, you'd look after it.
    She isn't actually allowed to borrow any of my books for this exact reason.

Where do you fall on this debate?

Have you avoided lending someone a book because you're worried about the condition it'll come back in?
    My rule is: if it's not bent already, don't bend it. They look so much nicer on the shelf when they aren't broken!! A lot of books I own though are books I've had since I was a kid, or they're from charity shops etc. I'm all for lending books to people but usually they're my close friends who know how much I value them :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blamethenargles)
    My rule is: if it's not bent already, don't bend it. They look so much nicer on the shelf when they aren't broken!! A lot of books I own though are books I've had since I was a kid, or they're from charity shops etc. I'm all for lending books to people but usually they're my close friends who know how much I value them :'
    I learnt the lending lesson the hard way. Lent the latest release of my beloved complete Cherub series to a mate back in Y7... Had to try very hard not to whack him round the back of the head when he gave it back to me page corners folded, spine creased, couple of pages stained

ReputationRep:
    I tend to be scruffy with books... But then if I enjoyed it I'll buy a brand new copy fr my bookcase....so my bookcase only has my favourites and they're all immaculate...but other than that I buy them second hand and annotate and basically do what I like...yeah coasters and all... But if I enjoy then I buy clean new ones to keep.
    What I'm saying is...if I'm just reading them and they're temporary...I'll have fun with them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I learnt the lending lesson the hard way. Lent the latest release of my beloved complete Cherub series to a mate back in Y7... Had to try very hard not to whack him round the back of the head when he gave it back to me page corners folded, spine creased, couple of pages stained
    That doesn't sound fun at all!!! I lent my best friend a book once and she took it to school to read and someone nicked it from her and scribbled all over it!!! Luckily it wasn't one of my hardbacks or anything but still a book's a book... it wasn't her fault though so I don't blame her for it! Most of my friends at University don't read so I don't have that problem anymore (still not sure if that's a good or bad thing)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your books though, that does sound brutal!

ReputationRep:
    I love to keep my books nice and I can't stand it if someone else bends the spine

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound fun at all!!! I lent my best friend a book once and she took it to school to read and someone nicked it from her and scribbled all over it!!! Luckily it wasn't one of my hardbacks or anything but still a book's a book... it wasn't her fault though so I don't blame her for it! Most of my friends at University don't read so I don't have that problem anymore (still not sure if that's a good or bad thing)
    I'm so sorry to hear about your books though, that does sound brutal!
    It really wasn't :cry2: But that's okay thanks! Time has made it better

Ughhh that makes me cringe. I would be SO mad if that happened. I mean even though they're really affordable, books seem to be so valuable - I'm sure others feel the same way! Is there a book club at your uni? I really hope I have time to keep up with my reading habit next year when I start at uni D:

ReputationRep:
    It really wasn't :cry2: But that's okay thanks! Time has made it better

Ughhh that makes me cringe. I would be SO mad if that happened. I mean even though they're really affordable, books seem to be so valuable - I'm sure others feel the same way! Is there a book club at your uni? I really hope I have time to keep up with my reading habit next year when I start at uni D:
    I agree with you!! There isn't at mine, but I have Goodreads and TSR to keep that going, and I have a blog too! (bronwynandbooks.wordpress.com). I don't think book/reading societies are particularly rare though so I'd keep an eye out!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you!! There isn't at mine, but I have Goodreads and TSR to keep that going, and I have a blog too! (bronwynandbooks.wordpress.com). I don't think book/reading societies are particularly rare though so I'd keep an eye out!
    Ohh that's nice! I had a skim of your blog and it looks great! I have a Wordpress myself too ^_^

I think it might be different in the USA (:woo:) with clubs and all to the UK - wonder how the reading situation is over there

ReputationRep:
    I manage to keep 99% of my books in practically like new condition I think. The only time I break the spine, or end up with creased pages, is when I'm studying the text for class (my copy of To Kill A Mockingbird from National 5 English looks as though it's been dragged through hell and back, and my copies of Tennessee Williams' plays for Advanced Higher this year are beginning to look a bit worse for wear as well) - the only other damage I can think of is the unavoidable scuffing on the black and white penguin classics: drives me absolutely crazy. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    Ohh that's nice! I had a skim of your blog and it looks great! I have a Wordpress myself too ^_^

I think it might be different in the USA (:woo:) with clubs and all to the UK - wonder how the reading situation is over there
    I only just twigged now after seeing your username! Hi! I followed you, your blog looks cool too! American colleges/universities/whatever you call them sounds insane, so you'll probably find something, not much happens in the UK :')

ReputationRep:
    I only just twigged now after seeing your username! Hi! I followed you, your blog looks cool too! American colleges/universities/whatever you call them sounds insane, so you'll probably find something, not much happens in the UK :'
    Oh haha Hey! I followed yours too :yep: Very enjoyable and an easy writing style!

Colleges or Universities are fine - either works! I'll give you some suggestions if I can think of some, if you like? Feel free to do the same if you come across anything difficult to read
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    This thread upsets me. Of the many hundreds of books I can see from where I'm sitting only one has a broken spine and that is because a friend gave it to me to read.

ReputationRep:
    Oh haha Hey! I followed yours too :yep: Very enjoyable and an easy writing style!

Colleges or Universities are fine - either works! I'll give you some suggestions if I can think of some, if you like? Feel free to do the same if you come across anything difficult to read
    Awesome, thank you so much! That would be amazing, I'm always looking for recommendations, I can be pretty indecisive when it comes to books and then I end up buying a ton at once and then dreaming for the wonderful email that tells me my student loan has come through :lol: sure thing though!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thank you so much! That would be amazing, I'm always looking for recommendations, I can be pretty indecisive when it comes to books and then I end up buying a ton at once and then dreaming for the wonderful email that tells me my student loan has come through :lol: sure thing though!
    Sure thing I'll let you know soon! That would be totally me if we had student loans

ReputationRep:
    Sure thing I'll let you know soon! That would be totally me if we had student loans
    I look forward to it! Oh yes, in America they completely screw you over money wise don't they? :/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.