The Student Room Group

CharityWorks 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

Hi everyone,
I've been accepted for the assessment centres too. I'm 33 and a Psychology graduate. Currently a teaching assistant in a senior school whilst volunteering with my local community group. I have just been successful in another job as a careers advisor (engagement coach) and I am in two minds about attending the centre now. Does anyone know of people that have done the scheme? How did they get on with regards to job hunting after the training?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sarah
Hey! Has anyone had their assessment centre already? If so, how did it go? Have you got any advice, specifically on the writing tasks?
Hey Sarah - I just read through some of your questions and although I don't know anyone on the programme I have read some information online about employability after the graduate scheme:

- 100% employment rate
- 66% of trainees emplyed directly by clients
- 98.3% of trainees employed within the non-profit sector.

These numbers were shared when advertising the 2015 intake I believe.

Just wondering if you went to the assessment centre in the end and what it was like?
Original post by sarahfeb12
Hi everyone,
I've been accepted for the assessment centres too. I'm 33 and a Psychology graduate. Currently a teaching assistant in a senior school whilst volunteering with my local community group. I have just been successful in another job as a careers advisor (engagement coach) and I am in two minds about attending the centre now. Does anyone know of people that have done the scheme? How did they get on with regards to job hunting after the training?

Sorry for all the questions.

Sarah

Sorry I'm so late replying but I know one person who did the scheme and the charity she was placed with kept her on after the scheme officially ended.
Anyone heard anything?
Reply 45
Not heard anything yet. They said they were aiming to contact us on the 28th June so I'm hoping we get responses tomorrow!
Has anyone heard anything yet? It's already 3pm but I've not had anything... I know in previous years they've sent them all out at once? But this waiting is stressing me out!
Reply 47
Still nothing, I'm starting to worry as I fly on holiday for a week at 6am tomorrow and won't be able to check emails. Really just want to know whether it's a yes or a no :frown:
Getting so impatient!! Just want to know :frown:
Did you all just get that email? I'm SO frustrated!! Surely they knew by now that there would be a delay - why leave it until 5pm?*
Reply 50
Yeah, I'm gutted :frown:
Any news? :-s
No, still nothing. Looks like they really are going to leave it until the 3pm deadline! I'm trying to distract myself with craft but I'm running out of sewing!
Emails came out today! How did everybody do? I got put on a waiting list, so more uncertainty for now.
Original post by Justasking91
Emails came out today! How did everybody do? I got put on a waiting list, so more uncertainty for now.

I was waiting list'd, too. How're you feeling about it?

On the one hand, I'm okay with that because I didn't think the assessment centre went that well; I wasn't in the right frame of mind on the day at all. On the other, other, despite the repeated instances it's not a rejection letter, it feels a lot like a rejection letter somehow. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I'm annoyed we have to wait until August 5th for an "update" (not a result - just an update!), and then at some point after that can still get rejected. I'm just going to take it as a rejection upfront and get on with job hunting elsewhere now.

Also, I'm really not impressed with this:

"the positions on the programme have been offered, on a merit basis, to the candidates who evidenced the highest combined scores, across all assessments [...] We have been initially conservative in making just 100 programme offers [...] intention of ending up with around 140 placements in total [...] We have found that it is not constructive to tell you your position on the waitlist as this does not necessarily translate to a level of likelihood of you receiving a programme offer"

Maybe don't tell us it's done solely by score and that we weren't in the top 100 if you want us to believe our place on the list doesn't matter. I suspect it's not "constructive" because people ranked 180 overall at the back of the reserve list aren't going to hang around unless they believe there's a chance they were 101! (I know I'm being a bit harsh, but that just rubbed me the wrong way)
I don't mind actually because it was explained to us a bit differently at the assessment centre. They basically said that they use the waiting list quite actively and the ranking isn't necessarily relevant because they'll match you based on what your preferences were. So for example, if the top 10 waiting list people said they don't want to be placed in the Midlands and a position frees up there, your ranking to a certain extent is irrelevant. Same if the host organisation is looking for a special skill. If waiting list person 180 has that skill, they still could be picked based on that. So I'm optimistic. Would love to know how many people are on the waiting list though! Plus, I agree it's a bit frustrating having to wait I another month for news and was expecting to get feedback today, not in August.
I am also wait listed. I agree that it would be nice to know how many people have been wait listed. Nonetheless, I am happy it was not a full out rejection!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've been waitlisted too, but starting to wonder whether anyone hasn't been? As I haven't heard anyone get a full rejection... I understand them not telling us our ranking, but it would be nice to know whether there's 50 of us for 40ish placements or 200!
Reply 58
Hey,

Is there anyone out there who got into the scheme and has been allocated to the North West cluster? I'm about to go on a big trip over July so I'm looking to put out some feelers with people first. Need to sort out accomodation as soon as I find out where I've been placed so was interested in discussing that with people. Like, do you think it's a good idea to live with other trainees? Also, I will be skint so finding somewhere as affordable as possible would be ideal - anyone got any thoughts on the best way to tackle this?
I'm in the London / SE cluster sorry. Has anyone had the phone call about a potential specific placement yet? I've still not had that 😕

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending