The Student Room Group

Half of U.S. voters agree with Trump's Muslim ban plan

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aceadria
Do you have evidence to suggest that all Americans are unable to differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims based on appearance? Or are you also guilty of the very thing you are criticising them of being? (e.g. bigoted)

I never criticised them for being "bigoted", I said such a policy ("ban on all Muslims") might sound good on paper (as Muslims aren't a race) but in practice, when it is implemented it will not work that way.

And yes, there are evidence that Sikhs, Hindus, and even Buddhists being attacked for "looking like a Muslim" (I won't mention normal Muslims being attacked as this seems irrelevant to the discussion)... I am not saying it will be like this if Trump gets to power and they are fringe incidents - but we have no way of knowing whether or not this will be the case until we implement such a draconian policy.

And no, I don't think all Americans and 'Muricans...

In fact, if you think this "ban" is a good idea because its "not racist"... I'd argue that you trust the government and America too much to play it out nicely.
Original post by chemting
I never criticised them for being "bigoted", I said such a policy ("ban on all Muslims":wink: might sound good on paper (as Muslims aren't a race) but in practice, when it is implemented it will not work that way.

And yes, there are evidence that Sikhs, Hindus, and even Buddhists being attacked for "looking like a Muslim" (I won't mention normal Muslims being attacked as this seems irrelevant to the discussion)... I am not saying it will be like this if Trump gets to power and they are fringe incidents - but we have no way of knowing whether or not this will be the case until we implement such a draconian policy.

And no, I don't think all Americans and 'Muricans...

In fact, if you think this "ban" is a good idea because its "not racist"... I'd argue that you trust the government and America too much to play it out nicely.

You have not answered my question. Again:

Do you have evidence to suggest that all Americans are unable to differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims based on appearance? Or are you also guilty of the very thing you are criticising them of being? (e.g. bigoted)

I am not disagreeing with your statement about the applicability of such a ban. Morality aside, this is a highly impractical decision.
You have not answered my question. Again:.

I don't understand, when have I suggested "all Americans are unable to differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims based on appearance?"I specifically meant the immigration system.

I am not disagreeing with your statement about the applicability of such a ban. Morality aside, this is a highly impractical decision.

Indeed. My main point was really practicability, morality is a totally different debate altogether
Original post by chemting
I don't understand, when have I suggested "all Americans are unable to differentiate between Muslims and non-Muslims based on appearance?"I specifically meant the immigration system.

Very well. I grant your point.
Reply 44
Original post by ivybridge
And half of US voters don't understand the world in which they live and lack the intellectual capacity to make good decisions. Next.

Nice broad brush generalization that covers 170 million people in one fell swoop. Well done. Next.
Reply 45
Original post by godofwine
43% of Republicans also believe that Obama is a muslim lol

He is.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by HapaxOromenon2
This discussion is irrelevant since the proposal in question would violate:

Article 2 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Articles 2(1), 20(2), and 26 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights

Articles 3 and 4 of the Convention relating to the Status of Refugees

and probably more international law besides...

The US couldn't care less about international law. They break it pretty routinely.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Howard
Nice broad brush generalization that covers 170 million people in one fell swoop. Well done. Next.

Hardly a generalisation when they've made the vote, bro. Next.
Original post by Howard
He is.

Except he really isn't though, are you stupid?
Original post by Howard
Don't "bro" me. I'm not a Puerto Rican gang banger.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what Trump supporters equate to.
Original post by Howard
Maybe. But at least I'm not a big bender like you.

Thank you for informing me of my own sexual orientation, how can I ship the medal to you?

You think telling me I'm gay is insulting? Grow up.

Quick Reply

Latest