Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Benefits of Islam to the west. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    +1

Islamic society has much better morals than Western society, but the casual antisemitism, homophobia, sexism and racism detracts from the good points Islam brings.
    Fantastic morals there must be, do tell us how is it that the top 10 least corrupted countries in the world happen to be Christian or secular dominated countries? Must be some fantastic morals that the nearly every Muslim dominated country in the world has some of the worst records of corruption.

Even in Asia, Singapore a very secular though strongly Confucius/Taoist society beats each and every one of its neighbours with high proportions of Muslim population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    I can somewhat see where your coming from in terms of being productive but jQuery being a JavaScript library means anything you can do in jQuery, you can do in JS.

C++ and Python is a great combo , do you happen to use those for
    Machine learning / Data science?
    Nothing quite so glamorous I'm afraid. In short, I got really frustrated at some of the physics in games, like floating lead objects and other silly things. It's even worse when the game developers have done things like rag doll physics really well, it just highlights all the bad physics everywhere else in the game. So I decided to fix it by running programs alongside the game which can add the extra stuff. It's a bit like those script extender programs you get for things like TES and Fallout though I must admit, my programs are no where near as good.

I later found out that knowing how to program was really useful in my chosen field of physics so that was a nice bonus. How about you? Do you use it for data manipulation and such like?

ReputationRep:
    None. Literally none if you are taking the religion itself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Nothing quite so glamorous I'm afraid. In short, I got really frustrated at some of the physics in games, like floating lead objects and other silly things. It's even worse when the game developers have done things like rag doll physics really well, it just highlights all the bad physics everywhere else in the game. So I decided to fix it by running programs alongside the game which can add the extra stuff. It's a bit like those script extender programs you get for things like TES and Fallout though I must admit, my programs are no where near as good.

I later found out that knowing how to program was really useful in my chosen field of physics so that was a nice bonus. How about you? Do you use it for data manipulation and such like?
    Nice.

I'm using c++ mostly for writing ml libraries and python for data.

ReputationRep:
    Islam has brought, historically, very little benefit to the West

Starting with the death of Muhammad, there have been about 1000 years of continuous invasions of Western/Christian countries (first the Middle East, then North Africa, Spain, Southern France and Italy ; then the Balkans) . At the same time, the European coasts were ravaged by Barbary pirates, hundreds of thousands of people were kidnapped from European coasts and sold as slaves.

There were of course reactions against these invasions (Crusades etc), but it was not until the 19th century that Western powers decisively gained the upper hands and (briefly) occupied most Muslim countries.

And now, Islam brings us mainly problems : difficult integration of Muslim minorities, radicalisation and even terror attacks

against this, Islam was able of course to develop a sophisticated culture which included advances in science and transmission of ancient texts, and also - but only in specific times and places- a culture of relative tolerance

let's face it : as a balance, it's nothing to write home about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Jquery > javascript

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That makes literally no sense. Jquery is a library written in js, atheism isn't a subset of religion...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sfaraj)
    so when white christians used blacks as slaves, that was fine.... ok mate.
    Muslims did the same for a longer time. Racism is moreover terrible in the Gulf countries where immigrants from Asia are treated like slaves.
    Bad analogy.

(Original post by Josb)
    Muslims did the same for a longer time. Racism is moreover terrible in the Gulf countries where immigrants from Asia are treated like slaves.
    Bad analogy.
    Excellent point, but the sun must be coming up now. Off to bed, you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Bad analogy.
    we;; then they are clearly not muslims are they? the Prophets first prayer caller was black....

and hell i know, places where my aunts live, eveyone has servents but i dont agree with that, just do it yourself, dont be lazyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    What do you think are the benefits of Islam to the West?
    More diverse culture.

ReputationRep:
    lack of people with minds like yours benefits the west. Religion is a personal thing, should be your own where it guides you the right way, nobody is forcing religion down your throat.
    Human Rights Act states that it is a human right to believe in a religion or not and change religions if you wish to do so
    Unfortunately many muslims do not share your view. There has been thread after thread on here from young muslims wishing to leave the faith but afraid of what their families will do to them if they do.

(Original post by Dirty Dawah)
    +1

Islamic society has much better morals than Western society, but the casual antisemitism, homophobia, sexism and racism detracts from the good points Islam brings.
    I would say it's worse than 'casual'. It's more 'ingrained, institutionalised and often backed up with stoning'.

ReputationRep:
    we;; then they are clearly not muslims are they? the Prophets first prayer caller was black....

and hell i know, places where my aunts live, eveyone has servents but i dont agree with that, just do it yourself, dont be lazyyyyyy
    so, poor Bilal had to get up before everyone else, climb the steep stairs to the top of the minaret (at the risk of breaking his neck) and then shout his lungs out so as to wake up those lazy "believers"

more seriously, in the Muslim communities, the role of the muezzin was not one of great particular importance (not one comparable to the imam's in any case). In more recent times, the muezzin's call to prayer was widely replaced by recorded messages : therefore, it is difficult to understand why Muslims always, systematically, mention the single case of Bilal when the issue of racism is raised

if you want to learn a bit more about race relations under the early Caliphate, you could have a look e.g. here https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j...nLf8j2pGTofhAQ

best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    so, poor Bilal had to get up before everyone else, climb the steep stairs to the top of the minaret (at the risk of breaking his neck) and then shout his lungs out so as to wake up those lazy "believers"

more seriously, in the Muslim communities, the role of the muezzin was not one of great particular importance (not one comparable to the imam's in any case). In more recent times, the muezzin's call to prayer was widely replaced by recorded messages : therefore, it is difficult to understand why Muslims always, systematically, mention the single case of Bilal when the issue of racism is raised

if you want to learn a bit more about race relations under the early Caliphate, you could have a look e.g. here https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j...nLf8j2pGTofhAQ

best
    but how great would bilals reward be in the after life for reminding people on their one basic duty to their god?

ReputationRep:
    but how great would bilals reward be in the after life for reminding people on their one basic duty to their god?
    so, you mean that by substituting most everywhere taped messages for the muezzin's call, the total amount of rewards in afterlife has been substantially reduced ? someone should really do something about this

in any case, it is not too difficult to promise huge rewards in afterlife: I could also do that easily. Say, how about 1.75 billion pounds if we ever meet in Paradise ? tempted ?

best

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.