Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

S13 - Statement of Intent from the Department for Business, Innovation etc. Watch

ReputationRep:
    RayApparently toronto353 Hey, I'd like to request a vote on this thing once the debate is over, please. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    RayApparently toronto353 Hey, I'd like to request a vote on this thing once the debate is over, please. Thank you.
    I'll put it to vote when the debate has concluded.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I'll put it to vote when the debate has concluded.
    The GD states that such a request can only be made once this has gone into cessation.
    (Original post by Guidance Document)
    7) SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker. The members who may do so are the Minister whose Department submitted the SoI, the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    The GD states that such a request can only be made once this has gone into cessation.
    Because clearly we'll forget about it if we have to wait. Is this part of the GD binding? The only reasonable way to stop the vote is to save us time and withdraw it.

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect, I don't think this ought to be followed to the letter - it is needless bureaucracy, and the intention is clearly to prevent others cutting the debate short.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    The GD states that 'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker.' Nowhere in that clause does it state that the request can't be made earlier, just that it can't go to vote before that cessation period.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Because clearly we'll forget about it if we have to wait. Is this part of the GD binding? The only reasonable way to stop the vote is to save us time and withdraw it.
    No, but the idea of the GD is that the Speaker/Deputy Speaker observes it.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    No, but the idea of the GD is that the Speaker/Deputy Speaker observes it.
    Which I have done - the vote will happen after this SOI has had its allotted debate time (i.e. once it's in cessation). The only thing that Life_peer has done differently is to request now that a vote happens in that period, something not precluded by the GD.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    The GD states that 'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker.' Nowhere in that clause does it state that the request can't be made earlier, just that it can't go to vote before that cessation period.
    Yes it does. That clause states two things: one, an SoI is sent to vote when the Speaker is notified. Two, this can only happen while the SoI is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Yes it does. That clause states two things: one, an SoI is sent to vote when the Speaker is notified. Two, this can only happen while the SoI is in cessation.
    No it doesn't - I urge you to re-read the clause. The clause states that:

'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker.'

Nowhere does it say when this request can or cannot happen nor does it expressly forbid it happening during the debate. The only thing it sets out for certain is when the vote can take place. Now were your argument to be correct, the clause would have to read:

'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker during the cessation period.'

It doesn't state that ergo the request can be made at any time.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No it doesn't - I urge you to re-read the clause. The clause states that:

'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker.'

Nowhere does it say when this request can or cannot happen nor does it expressly forbid it happening during the debate. The only thing it sets out for certain is when the vote can take place. Now were your argument to be correct, the clause would have to read:

'SoIs may be sent to vote at any point during their cessation period by notifying the Speaker during the cessation period.'

It doesn't state that ergo the request can be made at any time.
    PROSM

ReputationRep:
    I firmly believe in the importance of the humanities but they're not useful if you want to efficiently change career paths. Humanities degrees are a starting point from which you build your cv, or don't do them at all. Nay.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Division! Clear the Lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.