Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I go to high school in Japan. AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do people there look like anime characters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    Do any of your high school friends engage in enjo kosai and if so, what do they say about it?
    nope. i go to an all boys school. Enjo kosai isn't really common at all though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desslop)
    Oh look! Another weeaboo....
    Not really a weeaboo considering I know next to nothing about anime, and my main interests lie in Japanese aesthetics in Buddhism and classical literature, but ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    There's not really any racism here. I'm not ethnically Japanese though, so I stick out (especially because I have green eyes and and my hair isn't black, which they're amazed by lol).

I guess they're happy, but when they have exams it's stressful. Same in the UK though. GCSEs/A levels are stressful but you're not necessarily unhappy. School starts at 8:25 and finishes at 3:15, but no one leaves at 3:15. Most people stay in the classroom for about 30mins-45mins after school doing work, and then go to clubs until abound 7pm. Near exams, people don't go to clubs and work from when school finishes unitl 9/10pm. I do a lot less work than everyone else because I'm an exchange student and am going to university in the UK, so don't need to take Japanese university entrance exams. I go to a very academic school though, so working unitl 10pm isn't normal here lol
    may i know how many gets into todai from ur school every year ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duke Glacia)
    btw is the juken period over ?

and do u work part itme?
    Yes, it's over. It's currently Spring break and school/university entrance ceremonies are next week. I don't work part time.

ReputationRep:
    may i know how many gets into todai from ur school every year ?
    Usually around 30 each year. This year 22.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _icecream)
    Is it true that Japanese kids are so well behaved. I wish I lived in Japan I loove the culture
    Generally speaking, yes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    Usually around 30 each year. This year 22.
    Yabasugi jan

how was their study schedule like ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Cobra)
    LOOOL. Yes, have no idea whey literally every anime is set in a high school.OP be like:
    Tbh schools in Japan are pretty much exactly like the anime lol

ReputationRep:
    Ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    How do you get into Japanese school as a foreigner? I heard it is very hard to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    Dono yō ni unagi o taberu teidodesu ka?translation compliance:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    what about this whole eel eating thang ?
    I've eaten it like once haha. There's a lot of seafood that I'm not used to eating (sea urchin, crab, squid, octopus, shellfish etc.), so I tend to avoid it.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you living in Japan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roarchika)
    How are you finding studying classical Japanese? Also, do you get asked lots of questions about England and such by your classmates?(Also, do you have to participate in English classes?) So many questions what even.
    Classical Japanese is very hard (especially the grammar :eek3:). I joined half way through their 2nd year of high school when everyone had already studied the basics and I hadn't, so I don't understand much. Content-wise though it's fine, as I had already read many of the works we study in English, so I can work out things based on context.

I do get asked a lot of questions about England. I don't mind as it's a good way of starting conversations haha.Yes I participate in English classes. I still find them challenging though because a lot of what they do is translations. English to Japanese is a lot harder for me than Japanese to English. My scores in English exams vary from less than 30% to 100% :lol:

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Why are you there?
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Why are you living in Japan?
    (Original post by Proxenus)
    why did you choose to study there
    I chose to come and study here for a year before going to university. I wanted to get to know Japanese culture better and improve my Japanese before going to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    Oh, I see! Where will you be studying at in the UK?Where do you currently live? Homestay or a dorm or something?
    Homestay. I'll be going to Oxford University.

ReputationRep:
    Yabasugi janhow was their study schedule like ?
    I didn't really know the 3年生 that well so I'm not sure, but they studied a lot!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    How do you get into Japanese school as a foreigner? I heard it is very hard to do that
    The school I went to in the UK has a partner school in Japan. My grades were good and the school invited to give me a scholarship to study there for a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martinnmartin)
    Lol this post attached all the anime fans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LMAO IKR!! It attracted me XD

ReputationRep:
    Does senpai notice you?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.