Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would Leicester winning the title be the biggest surprise in football history? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

A league win is far mores surprising than a cup win because it requires excellence throughout a season, whereas a good cup run isn't that extraordinary.

Also, big clubs never used to dominate financially the way they do now.

ReputationRep:
    And Bill Shankly was the Huddersfield manager...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    I actually cashed in an accumulator bet that had Leicester in it at 8-1 for a pittance

At the time Middlesbrough,Bayer Leverkusen and one other team were doing really badly but they're all doing fine now and the bet would be worth ten times as much.

However I still have 3 bets involving Leicester 2 of which have the Leicester/Spurs forecast at 16-1.

The whole bets are doing fine except for Plymouth and I may have to make a very tough call in the play offs. I'm inclined to cash out as I just don't think Plymouth will be promoted. But if I cash out they probably will,ha.

Anyway I think Arsenal will pip Spurs for second so releiving me of the problem.
    Depends how much you bet. Was it worth a decent amount?

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal going 49 unbeaten

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You perhaps don't know that betting odds are a product of how much is bet on the various outcomes. All the Americans patriotically betting on their team to win a sport they knew nothing about and hoping to beat the Europeans at their own game would have lowered their odds enormously. The team was composed of mainly amateur players and had less chance of winning than many a British works team. They were coming off seven consecutive defeats at a combined score of 2-45, including such scores against world giants as 0-5 against Northern Ireland and 0-11 against Norway.

At the time England were the form team in world football, and had been over quite a long period, and were were 3-1 to win the tournament. They had lost only four times in 23 matches since WW2, and had thrashed Italy 4-0.

It would be the modern equivalent of San Marino beating a full-strength Brazil.
    Or perhaps, the modern equivalent of Tahiti beating Spain. Which was offered at around 120-1 when they played in 2013. Or was that just due to all the Tahitians patriotically betting on their team?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    Or perhaps, the modern equivalent of Tahiti beating Spain. Which was offered at around 120-1 when they played in 2013. Or was that just due to all the Tahitians patriotically betting on their team?
    I don't think bookmakers wanting to make a profit out of gullible people by offering silly short odds is evidence that USA beating England in 1950 wasn't a shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roxy1331)
    Depends how much you bet. Was it worth a decent amount?
    The stake of that bet was a small amount compared to the amount I've laid out overall this season.

It was a bad bad call. I only discovered cash outs on long term accas last season.

I think they are generally fantastic but I think it will take a couple of years to really get to grips with their uses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    I mean 5000-1 before the season started is pretty long odds & they are looking increasing likely to actually pull this off. I'm struggling to think of what else would compare? Perhaps even the biggest surprise in sporting history as well???

ReputationRep:
    I don't think bookmakers wanting to make a profit out of gullible people by offering silly short odds is evidence that USA beating England in 1950 wasn't a shock.
    It's always a sign that someone knows they're wrong when they try to completely change what was being debated. At no point did anyone say USA beating England wasn't a shock. I said it wasn't anywhere near as big a shock as Leicester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by difeo)
    I said it wasn't anywhere near as big a shock as Leicester.
    And I disagree. It was earth-shattering. Leicester's possible win only represents a return to normality.

Too many people have only experienced English football during the (very short-lived) era of the so-called big four.

You only have to go back a few years to find all sorts of teams winning the league or coming close. Leeds United dominated Europe at one time and won the last season before the Premier League was named, yet they plummeted to the depths through mismanagement, rather like Blackburn..

ReputationRep:
    And I disagree. It was earth-shattering. Leicester's possible win only represents a return to normality.

Too many people have only experienced English football during the (very short-lived) era of the so-called big four.

You only have to go back a few years to find all sorts of teams winning the league or coming close. Leeds United dominated Europe at one time and won the last season before the Premier League was named, yet they plummeted to the depths through mismanagement, rather like Blackburn..
    You seem like a good bloke Good bloke but I'm afraid Leicesters win is not and won't be a return to 'normality.'

There will almost certainly be some kind of movie based around it.

What more need be said?

ReputationRep:
    Why? If you ain't init you can't win it.If you're granny could stand up to pee she'd be your granda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Blackburn spent a lot of money. They finished 4th and 2nd the seasons before they won the title.
    Interesting. There was a good variety of clubs back then. After the mid to late 90's the line up in the premier league got a little stale. I miss 90's football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Interesting. There was a good variety of clubs back then. After the mid to late 90's the line up in the premier league got a little stale. I miss 90's football.
    You could watch the Championsip

ReputationRep:

The game has changed, the money gulf is huge compared to what it was.

Anyone who follows football, or any sport really, should know that in a one off match anyone can win and it wouldn't be incredibly unbelievable. Park the bus, hope the opponents aren't in top form, get a bit of luck for a goal. Entire seasons don't work like that.

The odds on Leicester's title were 40 times bigger ffs... bookies aren't a perfect way of predicting the chance of something happening but they're not that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Well yes and no.

Between 1975-1990, Liverpool won the league title 10 out of 15 seasons.
    Between 1992-2003, Man Utd won the league title 8 out of 11 seasons.

There have always been periods of dominance. But there does seem to be a gulf stopping a new kid on the block crashing in without a rich Russian/Arab owner.

Incidentally, it looks like this season will produce the 4th different PL winner in the last 4 seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    Well yes and no.

Between 1975-1990, Liverpool won the league title 10 out of 15 seasons.
    Between 1992-2003, Man Utd won the league title 8 out of 11 seasons.

There have always been periods of dominance. But there does seem to be a gulf stopping a new kid on the block crashing in without a rich Russian/Arab owner.

Incidentally, it looks like this season will produce the 4th different PL winner in the last 4 seasons.

Yet the point about 90s football being more interesting (for those who don't bet) still holds (which I acknowledge that you have acknowledged ).

Because in the 90s coming 6th or even 7th or even 8th some years still counted for something* if you were a small club since the UEFA cup still had some prestige ,for a while anyway.

And the domestic cup competitions still meant something.

Plus I think there were more games at that time.

Of course whether the actual quality of football was as good I will leave up to others to decide.Im assuming not.

* other than extra cash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    That one fan cashed out the £70k on Leicester winning the league. If they see it through, he'd have got £250,000.

I'd love to say I'd have had the bottle and guts not to cash out, but £70,000 on the table is a lot of money and I'd definitely have taken it.
    When did he cash out? I'd have done a lay bet if possible (depends on the odds)

Or cashed out, then put say 10k back on for a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    When did he cash out? I'd have done a lay bet if possible (depends on the odds)

Or cashed out, then put say 10k back on for a bit more.
    A lay?

Probably not really feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moggis)
    A lay?

Probably not really feasible.
    Depends what the odds were really, not sure what the odds were on Leicester to win when a bookie would offer 70k for your £20. But yes you'd need access to the capital and realistic liability on it.

Right now you'd be a fool not to lay them though if you had the bet going.

Though quick check of the odds you might be better off backing Arsenal and Spurs as seperate bets to win than laying since they're both at 6/1 or better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.