Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    I find it strange how some unis say "Oh wow, you hiked across a field for 2 days so have a place on our Chemistry course".
    I'd be very surprised to learn that any have done that. I'd be quite surprised to learn that an admissions tutor ascribed any weight at all to learning the candidate did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I'd be very surprised to learn that any have done that. I'd be quite surprised to learn that an admissions tutor ascribed any weight at all to learning the candidate did that.
    Ah yea ofcourse with good universities but some that maybe aren't as well known they seem to like people talking about something instead of nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    I guess you'd much rather people mentioned the horn as a hobby

Not at all. Hobbies are normally irrelevant. But if you are going to mention them then waste as little space as possible. Do not try to explain how sane it really is, despite the image, to collect jamjar labels and do not try to spin something positive out of it. It will only demonstrate negative attributes about you, despite your best (and very space-wasting) efforts. It will derail your pitch and probably leave the tutor with a feeling that your hobby is more important than your subject - and that is a serious sin.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Hobbies are normally irrelevant. But if you are going to mention them then waste as little space as possible. Do not try to explain how sane it really is, despite the image, to collect jamjar labels and do not try to spin something positive out of it. It will only demonstrate negative attributes about you, despite your best (and very space-wasting) efforts. It will derail your pitch and probably leave the tutor with a feeling that your hobby is more important than your subject - and that is a serious sin.
    So your issue is not so much with hobbies; it's with hobbies which take up a significant portion of a PS.

You should have clarified this earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Ah yea ofcourse with good universities but some that maybe aren't as well known they seem to like people talking about something instead of nothing at all.
    I am unconvinced they generally actually like that, but they are more prepared, in their quest to fill spaces, to overlook what doing it demonstrates about the candidate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayyylmao69)
    Hi, this is a very stupid question but I'm writing my personal statement for uni and I don't know if I should put my e-sport experience. I do play CS:GO as a half pro and I have made some money from tournaments in the past (small amounts of money and pc equipment) but is this worth mentioning? I don't have a lot to go on but I don't want them to think that I'm some sort of a typical basement dweller gamer.
    What course and unis are you applying for?

I personally wouldn't put it in unless you were applying to some sort of game/e-sport related degree (CS doesn't count), as it may draw unwanted attention. The admissions tutors, who tend to be at least 15-20 years older than us, may have a poor perception of games as being activities which are done at the exclusion of other, 'serious' academic work. Doing it at a semi-pro level only makes the problem worse, as is with the case with all professional level sports - the better unis may start wondering whether you can devote enough time to academic work around your training and fixtures. As always, focus on your supercurriculars, not extracurriculars.

ReputationRep:
    So your issue is not so much with hobbies; it's with hobbies which take up a significant portion of a PS.

You should have clarified this earlier.
    In post 13 I said:

Hobbies are rarely relevant to a university application, and even more rarely make a positive contribution. Space devoted to them is, therefore, wasted.

I think that conveys my message very clearly. If they are relevant (such as building engines for an engineering applicant) then, obviously, the space is not wasted.

ReputationRep:
    In post 13 I said:

Hobbies are rarely relevant to a university application, and even more rarely make a positive contribution. Space devoted to them is, therefore, wasted.

I think that conveys my message very clearly. If they are relevant (such as building engines for an engineering applicant) then, obviously, the space is not wasted.
    It does convey your overall message quite well. But I am talking to you in back-to-back replies; the overall spirit of your posts in this thread is not relevant.

In our back-to-back conversation, you started out by explaining that creating a lasting memory is useful as long as is not one which makes you look like an "idiot". In successive replies, you have stepped away from this comment and instead you have focussed exclusively on the wastefulness of words. Hence my "not so much hobbies" comment.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I'm with Good Bloke on this.

Extra curriculars (including hobbies) only belong in a PS *in any form* in one of two situations:

- they're DIRECTLY relevant to the subject/course applied to (either in content or in skills - for example a dentistry applicant mentioning a hobby which demonstrates manual dexterity)
    - they're such a huge fundamental part of your life that not mentioning them is to misrepresent yourself (eg you're an olympic/national athlete, you dedicate 90% of your free time to volunteering/running a charity, you're a published writer etc)

A PS should contain a substantial amount of information about your interests beyond your sixth form formal education - but that should be demonstrating your interests and motivation to study your subject of choice (ie super-curriculars not extra-curriculars).

ReputationRep:
    In our back-to-back conversation, you started out by explaining that creating a lasting memory is useful as long as is not one which makes you look like an "idiot". In successive replies, you have stepped away from this
    I haven't really. As I explained in another post, wasting a lot of space on irrelevant hobbies conveys a number of negative attributes to the reader which, taken together, detract from your application (and, maybe, spark a discussion on the lines of the one I described).

ReputationRep:
    I haven't really. As I explained in another post, wasting a lot of space on irrelevant hobbies conveys a number of negative attributes to the reader which, taken together, detract from your application (and, maybe, spark a discussion on the lines of the one I described).
    Again, "wasting a lot of space" is operative. If space is not wasted, under your logic, they don't come under scrutiny. Thus the mnemonic is forged without risking ridicule. Beautiful.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Nobody was supporting the idea of wasting a lot of space or being irrelevant.
    It would help if we knew what course and how he intended to mention it. Pretty easy to see whether it detracted or enhanced his PS from that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Nobody was supporting the idea of wasting a lot of space or being irrelevant.
    It would help if we knew what course and how he intended to mention it. Pretty easy to see whether it detracted or enhanced his PS from that.
    Those who claimed it could be spun positively were intrinsically advocating the wasting of significant space. If you think the subject is relevant, perhaps you can name those where a digression about playing (as opposed to programming, selling, managing or implementing) e-sports would make a positive contribution?

ReputationRep:
    Again, "wasting a lot of space" is operative. If space is not wasted, under your logic, they don't come under scrutiny. Thus the mnemonic is forged without risking ridicule. Beautiful.
    I'm unclear of the message you are trying to convey. In this context, a candidate risks negative reactions by using space wastefully (which is memorable if gross) or where they seek to spin preposterous positives out of something insignificant. These supposed positives can be irrelevant, like leadership, or simply spun out of nothing, like decision-making from playing games. What ensures the memorability is that all the effort and space is wasted while simultaneously demonstrating very clearly a number of negative relevant aspects of the candidate, as I described earlier. The PS can then be a bit of an oxymoron, saying one thing but showing something very different.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Those who claimed it could be spun positively were intrinsically advocating the wasting of significant space. If you think the subject is relevant, perhaps you can name those where a digression about playing (as opposed to programming, selling, managing or implementing) e-sports would make a positive contribution?
    I didnt mention any space at all. How would I know how relevant or irrelevant it might be without knowing the course he was applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I didnt mention any space at all.
    But you did advocate spinning it positively, which automatically wastes space.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I'd need to know the course and what was in the rest of the statement before deciding whether to include it , where and how I might present it. The OP didnt state a course. I wouldnt rule it out just because it was E sport., but i'd wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    I'd need to know the course and what was in the rest of the statement before deciding whether to include it , where and how I might present it. The OP didnt state a course. I wouldnt rule it out just because it was E sport., but i'd wait and see.
    Now you are wriggling. That is not quite what you said in post 10 of this thread, and you have not mentioned which subjects you think it useful for.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Now you are wriggling. That is not quite what you said in post 10 of this thread, and you have not mentioned which subjects you think it useful for.
    Not at all. I would be ok for putting it in if I thought it was relevant and not be ashamed of it. Not for me to second guess the OP but it could be relevant to a lot of degrees to do with the games industry, but you would need to compare that with the course and exactly what his experience was.

ReputationRep:
    PS writing is BS writing. It's all spin.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.