The Student Room Group

Poland considers banning abortion...

Scroll to see replies

Ridiculous and moronic. But of course, it would have religious backing.
Original post by Mango Milkshake
Excellent decision. Murder should be outlawed.

Yes, hooray for a regression in women's rights.
Weird how people say banning abortion is medieval. I always thought that murder of children was a bit outdated and a thing of the past but apparently not.

Anyway, good news to hear.
This is why I disagree with allowing religion to affect lawmaking. It impacts people that don't follow those beliefs which is imposing a religion on someone. It means that people might travel out of the country to get an abortion instead. It shouldn't be a law, people should have the choice to determine what happens to their body.
Original post by the bear
OP asked for a civilized discussion.... :redface:

That is a civilised response. I didn't call them a bunch of ****ing ****s.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
That is a civilised response. I didn't call them a bunch of ****ing ****s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thank :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: for that
Original post by the bear
thank :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: for that

I refuse to dolphin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I refuse to dolphin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

it is my choice if i want to :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:

no :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:er is going to tell me what to do with my :dolphin:
Original post by Trapz99
Weird how people say banning abortion is medieval. I always thought that murder of children was a bit outdated and a thing of the past but apparently not.

Anyway, good news to hear.

But you're not 'murdering' a child. A foetus is a ball of cells that has no knowledge of its own existence, it therefore has no desire to continue to live. You can't kill something that is not yet alive.
Original post by Mango Milkshake
Excellent decision. Murder should be outlawed.

What is being 'murdered'? A ball of cells unaware of its own existence, not a human being. You can't kill something that isn't alive.
Just a note, there's a possibility that this ban may not only affect medical abortions, but also miscarriages too. This could mean that a woman who has miscarried may have to go through a legal battle to ensure her baby died naturally, rather than of her own accord. So aswell as going through the loss of her unborn baby, the mother may have to deal with that too.

All these people in Poland are doing is attempting to protect unborn children, but fail to factor in care for the mother, or any women (considering morning-after pills are banned, even in the case of rape/incest). I'd love to know whether any woman in the Polish government has supported this, as she's endangering her own life just as much as anyone elses.
Original post by BenC1997
But you're not 'murdering' a child. A foetus is a ball of cells that has no knowledge of its own existence, it therefore has no desire to continue to live. You can't kill something that is not yet alive.

I guess it's debatable whether the foetus is an alive human or not. I personally think it is, and so do a lot of people.
this is utterly abhorrent for any country, western or otherwise, to even consider.
see how I'm not referring to race? or am I going to be accused of xenophobia because this is poland?
either way, take notice - the criticism of a state and the criticism of a religion are not attacks on races or individuals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Well this is what happens when you start allowing outdated religious institutions to have an influence over government.

Completely despicable and I hope it does not happen.
I don't see the harm in religion telling people what to do/not to do with their bodies though.
Reply 55
Original post by Joel 96
[*]If you were to ban abortion, would you ban it to an extent? (Excluding cases of rape, incest and deformity)

Surely if you oppose abortion, then to make certain fairly arbitrary exclusions is just silly? Rape and incest are irrelevant to the life of the foetus, while to abort for reasons of deformity or illness - particularly where it is not immediately life threatening - would surely be little more than eugenics by the back door.

Original post by BenC1997
What is being 'murdered'? A ball of cells unaware of its own existence, not a human being. You can't kill something that isn't alive.

To be fair, some balls of cells unaware of their own existence are fairly regular contributors to this forum.

At the risk of causing offence, what strikes me is the zeal of many abortion supporters: they chant mantras (very much evident on this thread) without appreciating the points of disagreement, they characterise opponents on a moral issue as backward, and if all else fails often end up suggesting men in particular should not be listened to when they make arguments opposing abortion. This has no impact on the issue, of course, but it does represent a very unhealthy stand to the debate.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
What a bunch of ****ing morons.

This is why religion should be cast aside. It is regressive.

Lots of people disagree with abortion for entirely secular reasons.

In reality, there is very little of this that is about faith. The Bible makes few references to abortion, and none that provide any clear direction on the matter. Christians are as divided on it as any other part of the population. This is about morality.
I don't live in Poland or know anything about Poland so maybe Poland doesn't want abortions to be abused?

Maybe its all about applying restrictions on abortions. I don't see anything wrong with banning abortion. Its a conversational issue that involves two lives. The biologic mother could also place her child on adoption, so its not a bleak aftermath.

By the way, even the non believers that an all knowing God can disagree with abortion. Do people really need to have a faith of some kind to find abortion repulsive? Believe or not, even some atheists are prolife.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
To quote Jennifer Worth "some women, if they fall pregnant will always have an abortion. Therefore it must be done properly." I think that accurately sums up my views on the topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by Macy1998
I don't live in Poland or know anything about Poland so maybe Poland doesn't want abortions to be abused?

Maybe its all about applying restrictions on abortions. I don't see anything wrong with banning abortion. Its a conversational issue that involves two lives. The biologic mother could also place her child on adoption, so its not a bleak aftermath.

By the way, even the non believers that an all knowing God can disagree with abortion. Do people really need to have a faith of some kind to find abortion repulsive? Believe or not, even some atheists are prolife.

Some women will have abortions regardless of their legality. If they cannot access safe, affordable abortions, they will have unsafe abortions and risk their lives and health in the process. Not something that you wish to happen, I'm sure.

Abortion is an emotive issue. It is not something that is easily resolved. Adoption may not always be an option.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest