Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Youngmetro)
    Did I not say 10%? And where did you get an offer from?
    LSE

Look dude, you have to learn when to back down when someone has corrected you. It's not going to make you look like a wuss, it shows humility.

Case in point, my friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and got into Oxford E&M. Other friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art, got into LSE for Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    He applied for PPE though?

Besides, im just stating facts and inferring from it. 90% is pretty high number and suggests a preference for econ at a level
    No, 90% shows that uni-level Econ students are likely to study Econ at A-level, out of interest for the subject. It does not show a 'preference'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LSE

Look dude, you have to learn when to back down when someone has corrected you. It's not going to make you look like a wuss, it shows humility.

Case in point, my friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry and got into Oxford E&M. Other friend did: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art, got into LSE for Econ.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you saying the 90% fact is wrong?Besides, you were wrong the moment you replied to me since the person I was talking to applied for PPE, and you've just ignored that so you dont look like a 'wuss'Great you have 2 examples, which are probably exceptions. I did mention that it would also be good to have something written down as a substitute for economics a level. That ended the conversation until you came in again.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    No, 90% shows that uni-level Econ students are likely to study Econ at A-level, out of interest for the subject. It does not show a 'preference'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well i inferred that there was a preference. I can only assume that the unis themselves are more likely to give offers to those who study economics at A level, since such a high proportion of current uni students did do economics. That and because they would have done economics at a level because they planned to do economics at uni. But really you can't find out exactly which one is the more definitive reason hence why I said it was an inference.

This still supports my point which is that OP should also do some kind of reading or extend their knowledge of economics to stay competitive.

I never intended to discourage OP in any way and I originally simply posed a fact for OP to consider when making a decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonwinner)
    The vast majority of people don't get happiness from their career
    then I pity the vast majority of people. or at least I can say that your standard of happiness is too high.

ReputationRep:
    Did I not say 10%? And where did you get an offer from?
    LSE Econ and Econ History (I do take Economics, but I got a C at AS (****ed up Unit 2))

And do you really think they would provide an entire course specifically aimed at those who haven't got an background in economics if they're gonna reject almost everyone who doesn't take economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maoism123)
    My GCSEs are below average for Oxford average: 4A* 5A
    Try Cambridge; they care less about GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    If you prefer rules over politics, definitely do law. I'm a second year LLB student at City Law School and I absolutely love law. It's very interesting just as a subject of general knowledge. It also teaches you to think analytically, which is an amazing skill to have for any chosen career. You also get to say "trust me, I'm a lawyer"

ReputationRep:
    Please refrain from turning this thread into a series of insults, or it will be closed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.