Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think a woman who has killed a foetus could ever be a good mother? Watch

(Original post by Supersaps)
    What?

You think that most children that grow up with poor single parents are better off not existing.

Jog on. And I'm tempted to say worse.

SS
    Lol I'm not talking about poverty in countries where the opportunity is there for them to improve their lives. Snap out of it.

(Original post by kyragrace)
    Not necessarily, quality of life doesn't come from having the latest tech or having loads of money, they might struggle more than others, and might have to put up more of a fight and work that bit more, but it doesn't mean they will have an unpleasant life.
    Say that to the kids who are unable to have decent access to food, water and healthcare in the most deprived countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeftWingMoron)
    You're not allowed to kill yourself
    Suicide is not a criminal offence in the UK, and hasn't been for almost sixty years. It is legal to kill yourself in most western countries, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Lol I'm not talking about poverty in countries where the opportunity is there for them to improve their lives. Snap out of it.
    You "snap out of it".

You believe a mother being a single parent and the child living in poverty as a legitimate reason for abortion. You think not to live at all than to be raised by a single mother in poverty because you will live an unpleasant life.

Don't try and distance yourself from it just because I called you out on it. You stated your views less than 12 hours ago!

You either need to retract:

- Living an unpleasant life is a legitimate reason for an abortion
    OR
    - Growing up with a single mother in a poverty will [most likely] lead to an unpleasant life

Therefore, you believe that in most cases, it is better not to exist than grow up in poverty and with a single parent. I don't care what country you're talking about.

Or you need to woman up and own your views and the fact I've called you out on them and defend them. Good luck.

SS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Say that to the kids who are unable to have decent access to food, water and healthcare in the most deprived countries.
    Ok, I'm pretty sure the logical conclusion to this statement is:

- Give them food, water and healthcare

Your solution to the problem of kids not existing with food, water and healthcare is to make the kids not exist too.

ReputationRep:
    Considering a huge percentage of women who have abortions are doing so to take care of children they already have, yes, of course.
    And yes to the woman who had a one night stand without protection and with a stranger, then decided on an abortion.

Yes because having an abortion has nothing to do with being a mother.

ReputationRep:
    You dont know it was a fetus, could of been a block of cells at the stage she got the abortion. Some women have illnesses that mean they can die if they give birth, someine woman may have life wrecking illnesses they dont want to pass on to a child, some women may have been raped, some women may not have the money to give a child a future. Population rates are estimated to double by 2020 and we cant sustain the things people require at these birth rates, there are thousands of children in care wanting loving familys, why add to that number? There are many good reasons for an abortion, it is heartless to bring a child into this world if it will harm them. Dont make them, and yourselves depressed and ruin lives when you can remove the cells before they develop into a fetus,.

You "snap out of it".

You believe a mother being a single parent and the child living in poverty as a legitimate reason for abortion. You think not to live at all than to be raised by a single mother in poverty because you will live an unpleasant life.

Don't try and distance yourself from it just because I called you out on it. You stated your views less than 12 hours ago!

You either need to retract:

- Living an unpleasant life is a legitimate reason for an abortion
    OR
    - Growing up with a single mother in a poverty will [most likely] lead to an unpleasant life

Therefore, you believe that in most cases, it is better not to exist than grow up in poverty and with a single parent. I don't care what country you're talking about.

Or you need to woman up and own your views and the fact I've called you out on them and defend them. Good luck.

SS
    I'm not distancing myself away from my view, merely explaining it.

But I'll go ahead. I say single mother in poverty because if a woman is poor and pregnant, yet has a partner to help with the finances and raise the child, the situation could work.

And yes, I stand by the view that if a child will most likely be born in poverty, it is better not to have the child. This is why young couples don't have babies, no?

Living an unpleasant life is a perfectly acceptable reason to abort a child. Sure, we can't tell for certain whether a child will have a nice life or not later on, but I couldn't, as a woman, give birth to a child I know I will be unable to offer a half-decent upbringing to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Maybe you need to understand why some women have abortions. There's a high chance if I became pregnant, I could give my child some pretty horrible physical problems. Some women with the condiitons I have, (including one I can pass on) have also reported that during pregnancy, they've experienced a lot of serious physical problems.

Ok, I'm pretty sure the logical conclusion to this statement is:

- Give them food, water and healthcare

Your solution to the problem of kids not existing with food, water and healthcare is to make the kids not exist too.
    Well isn't that the whole point of promoting contraceptives in really deprived countries or am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily, quality of life doesn't come from having the latest tech or having loads of money, they might struggle more than others, and might have to put up more of a fight and work that bit more, but it doesn't mean they will have an unpleasant life.
    It's not always about that. It's about an unwanted child being born, possibly to a mother who cannot bring herself to love it. That is not fair on the child or the mother and could be potentially extremely damaging.

It's laughable really because I bet the majority of people commenting on this thread have never been pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that this is a ridiculous thread and you need to widen your viewpoint. Abortions can be the appropriate action in a number of cases. For example, the woman might be too poor to provide well enough for the child, or the child might be at risk of abuse or neglect. Abortions can also occur due to ill-health of the baby. From personal experience my mum had to have an abortion before I was born because the baby was too ill to survive and was making her ill also, so an abortion was the only ethical choice. After I was born my mother had a miscarriage again because of the health of the baby. I was born by IVF and ended up being a triplet so my mum has successfully raised three babies simultaneously without issue and i respect her very highly for it. There is no way that she is a bad person even though she had to have an abortion.

You must respect the fact that a woman might become pregnant accidentally and knows in some way the she will not adequately be able to care for the baby so abortion is necessary. At the time of most abortions the fetuses are no sentient enough to have any response to the action and are essentially just little balls of cells. I'm a bit touchy about the very late term abortions but thankfully these occur much, much less often.

To summarise you gotta respect a woman's rights over those of her fetus and know that it does NOT make her a bad person to any measure

ReputationRep:
    Laughable comparison.
    The conclusion you've labelled as laughable follows from precisely the same logic you employed. That's the point.

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course, whilst i think that a woman who has had multiple abortions (more-so late stage than early) is pretty bad since it shows both poor judgement and selfish intent (i've heard of women simply having an abortion because they can't be bothered to I don't know not drink or smoke for 9months) it is still their choice. If it is say a rape victim or even just an unwanted early-stage pregnancy, or if the child will have a debilitating illness then i see no moral harm in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    What about the billions of sperm that never make it to the egg? Or the one egg a month that you lose in menstruation? What can we do to help them? Think of the children!

Are people who also choose to not have kids bad for taking away their potential
    child's opportunity to have a life?
    Are you for real?! How can you even begin to compare the two?

ReputationRep:
    Are you for real?! How can you even begin to compare the two?
    Why wouldn't I compare the two? A foetus hasn't started it's life. It has no more of a future than a sperm cell. You aren't depriving it of any opportunities, and it doesn't care if you abort it or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Well that was easy.

Next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Why wouldn't I compare the two? A foetus hasn't started it's life. It has no more of a future than a sperm cell. You aren't depriving it of any opportunities, and it doesn't care if you abort it or not.
    Not to me, I strongly believe a foetus has started it's life, very different to a sperm cell.

ReputationRep:
    I am a 46yr old woman. I had a termination at age 17, encouraged by my mother. I didn't think I through at all. I would never do it again, no matter what the circumstances. That is my own story. You can not write a person of to making a badly judged choice, especially if they may not have been able to live with the consequences of another poor judgement, or worse with a man's bad judgement, in the case of rape. Be careful how you make this judgement yourself!
    Is there any way to tell if a woman has had an abortion in case she lies about it?

Any woman who would be for it in any way would be removed of my list of potential partners. #1 turn off for sure. Utterly barbaric, killing your own potential child.

ReputationRep:
    Actually it will be my business if I want a compatable wife. A foetus is a potential baby. Surgical abortion is barbaric and shows all the traits of a terrible mother. No wonder they suffer from so much trauma afterwards.
    Don't worry. With an attitude like that I doubt you'll be in a position to be turning women down. Lighten up, at least you won't have to deal with this "dilemma"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.