Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is is sad and pathetic to go on holiday alone? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I prefer the beach tbh. We used to go to the seaside in primary school,ah those were the days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    No care in the world

ReputationRep:
    I am also looking to travel alone this summer.

However, I do hope to make some new friends, so I hope I won't always be alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lambert87)
    Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    my mum went travelling around america alone
    my nan went travelling around the caribbean and italy by herself also

not strange at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawdowd)
    Hmm, yes. If I saw someone on holiday on their own I would think that you were a sad and pathetic human being, and defiantly avoid you. Don't go. (unless you're 50+) - in which case you should remove yourself from the student room.
    Regards, Shawdowd.
    You're a charming human being aren't you?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. My brother swears by travelling alone because it means you can do the things you want to do, and can change your plans last minute without upsetting anyone. If you're worried that you might get lonely, you could stay at hostels, or get tickets for one of those hop on hop off bus tours where you can get to know your other travellers (and change your plans to match theirs without much fuss if you want to). It's actually easier to make friends on holiday if you're not with people you already know.

ReputationRep:
    no

ReputationRep:
    No care in the world
    i got you an ice cream bee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i got you an ice cream bee

I don't like vanilla. Could I have chocolate please ?

ReputationRep:
    What about holidaying at Christmas/NY alone?

I will be all alone this year... No family to go to etc?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    here we are sweetie... don't get it on your swimsuit :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    A great idea to go alone, and you can also meet loads of people if you know what to look for, you could try to couchsurf or at least go to some couchsurfing or language exchange events organized in the cities that you visit - there are loads of suche events where I live. You just go there and there are dozens of people who will be glad to have a pleasant conversation with you and have fun.

ReputationRep:
    What about holidaying at Christmas/NY alone?

I will be all alone this year... No family to go to etc?
    Not the kind of holiday you,will be thinking about but have you considered cruising . A lot of people go cruising on there own and it is really easy to make frii ends while cruising as they have lone traveller act it's . You will also get to see sights but it is quite expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larissa14)
    Not the kind of holiday you,will be thinking about but have you considered cruising . A lot of people go cruising on there own and it is really easy to make frii ends while cruising as they have lone traveller act it's . You will also get to see sights but it is quite expensive
    That is a brilliant idea

ReputationRep:
    That is a brilliant idea
    I would recommend that before you go anywhere, you make a list of museums and places you want to go. That'll help you stay as busy (or not) as you want to be! I'm from NY so feel free to hit me up for suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    That is a brilliant idea
    Thank you, I cruise too much but never on my own.
    Some cruise ships like princess have anytime dining in where you are basically put on a table with strangers unless you request to be with a group or a couple. The people on the table will change everyday so it's a good way of meeting new people!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically I recently split with my long term partner and all our friends were mutual (but their friends first so not really mine anymore).. I don't have any family either.

I'd like to get away in the sun for a week or so, is it sad to go alone? What type of holiday would be the best for someone alone?

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Something with plenty of activities where you can explore and meet new people.

ReputationRep:
    If you like the idea of a solo activity holiday check these guys out.

https://www.action-outdoors.co.uk/

It was a bit wild when I went on one so I wouldn't recommend it if you want to quietly relax somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Thanks all

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No. I was hesitant about doing so for a long time, but at the beginning of last month I went to Helsinki for five days on my lonesome. It was nice. I did my own thing on my own schedule. It was nice to get away.
    There is an argument for travelling on your own. Do it. You may enjoy it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.