Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's everyone's maintenance loan this year? Is this good enough? Watch

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    Oh i think i will also get maintenance grant? Cause my household income is less than £40K?
    If it's below £35k you'll most likely get some form of bursary from your university, not from student finance england (Scotland, Wales and NI still have grants).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirenBMS)
    I was wondering on what the average maintenance loan is, I'm aware it's based on parental income. I wanted to know if mine was reasonable, I come from a fairly low income background.

My maintenance loan is £8464.00, after accommodation for about 43 Weeks of £140, I'll have around £56 living money. Good enough?

I'll be studying in Manchester.
    After accomodation you'd still have like £2000 left over, how can you even say if this is liveable?

You do realise you get more than most people?

ReputationRep:
    Oh i think i will also get maintenance grant? Cause my household income is less than £40K?

I dont actually know that much info tbf
    I am baffled :lol:
    Will research more about it when i apply for student finance in the next two weeks
    There's no maintenance grant.
    You student finance is a combination of your maintenance loan and your student loan = £8.2k for you. (which is the max outside London I believe). So if your accomodation is 5.2k, you'll have 3k to live in for the year.

You won't be entitled to any extra money unless your university offers bursaries for students from low income households, or scholarships for things like excellent academic achievement.

ReputationRep:

I dont actually know that much info tbf
    I am baffled :lol:
    Will research more about it when i apply for student finance in the next two weeks
    The £8.2k sounds like the max loan. There are no grants any more (they have been replaced by loans but the total is now higher). Your uni will probably have some sort of bursary but if you struggle on £8.2k outside London then you need to think more about budgetting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If it's below £35k you'll most likely get some form of bursary from your university, not from student finance england (Scotland, Wales and NI still have grants).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh fair enough
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    There's no maintenance grant.
    You student finance is a combination of your maintenance loan and your student loan = £8.2k for you. (which is the max outside London I believe). So if your accomodation is 5.2k, you'll have 3k to live in for the year.

You won't be entitled to any extra money unless your university offers bursaries for students from low income households, or scholarships for things like excellent academic achievement.
    Thanks for the info
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    The £8.2k sounds like the max loan. There are no grants any more (they have been replaced by loans but the total is now higher). Your uni will probably have some sort of bursary but if you struggle on £8.2k outside London then you need to think more about budgetting.
    Thanks for the info
    Will think about getting a part time job if needed

ReputationRep:
    £5600 loan - £5800 accommodation = -£200 without even considering living costs(food,transport etc)
    Parents do not see university as a wise decision and so have made it clear they won't be supporting me financially.
    Part time job is a must. The question is, how many hours is the maximum recommend ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.