Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the-future-medic)
    Thanks for the thread.

Another good website is mathsgenie and for videos hegartymaths.

How is everyone's revision going???
    justmaths is key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sciencegcse)
    justmaths is key
    What's so good about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greenmang0)
    What's so good about it?
    It is videos GCSE questions (2016) and you can print of the questions and do them when the person is doing it so you have a better understanding on questions. It has boosted my grade by 2 full grades it is worth it trust me.

ReputationRep:
    The following are some of the most difficult maths questions you will ever see on a GCSE paper (I thought it was adequate to share these judging by everyone's resent to Hannah's sweets - though I found this very easy). I found all the below questions simple as well so do ask if you get stuck!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kasumikat)
    Do you think I'd be able to revise enough practice papers for the next 1 week and 4 days before the mom calculator exam? >.< I'm seriously getting a bit worried about not getting the grade as this is for my first choice university and I haven't been taking enough past paper.
    Dont think about uni etc for now ur just gonna worry yourself and plus uni is a gd 2 years away(im assuming ur 16 btw) take each day by day and just do the past papers and mark them with the correct answers,do not think about anything but the questions your given this way you will perform at ur best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redcoats)
    The following are some of the most difficult maths questions you will ever see on a GCSE paper (I thought it was adequate to share these judging by everyone's resent to Hannah's sweets - though I found this very easy). I found all the below questions simple as well so do ask if you get stuck!
    Thanks for those, can you help me out with the third one though? Struggling with it :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vadermolt1)
    Thanks for those, can you help me out with the third one though? Struggling with it :/
    Sure!

So that I do not remove the overwhelming satisfaction of getting a really hard question right, I'll give you a few hints:

If the following does not help, just ask for more help!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Imagine that h=y and t=x.

You now have a quadratic equation.

Identify where the highest point of the quadratic is and find out its y-coordinate.

This will tell you the highest point reached by the ball.

A diagram may help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waveyalex)
    Dont think about uni etc for now ur just gonna worry yourself and plus uni is a gd 2 years away(im assuming ur 16 btw) take each day by day and just do the past papers and mark them with the correct answers,do not think about anything but the questions your given this way you will perform at ur best
    lol uni is a few months away from me, im 19 and im retaking my maths GCSE because they are asking for a grade B in maths (i got a grade C before). im hoping to start working on some past paper tomorrow (also im in college btw)

ReputationRep:
    Struggling on the last one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Struggling on the last one.
    That is probably the hardest question out of all. Here are some hints:

If this does not help, ask for more
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Firstly, identify the different ways of getting a total score of 4

Then, determine the probability of getting a 4.

To do this, notice that the probability of getting a 2 for example is 2x/360 (angle of segment over sum of angles, which is obviously 360 degrees)

Then create an algebraic equation in terms of x - remember the AND / OR rules.

We know that the this algebraic equation has to equal 16/81 (as given by the question).

Then, all you have to do is solve for x - you should end up with a quadratic by the end, which you can solve .

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

To do this, notice that the probability of getting a 2 for example is 2x/360 (angle of segment over sum of angles, which is obviously 360 degrees)

We know that the this algebraic equation has to equal 16/81 (as given by the question).

Then, all you have to do is solve for x - you should end up with a quadratic by the end, which you can solve .
    Hey. Did you guys have a quadratic equation which simplifies to x^2 -360x +12800 = 0

Which gives you x = 320 or x = 40?????

Hopefully I am right!

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Still a bit stuck;

Would it be 2x/360 X x/360 = 16/81

ReputationRep:
    lol uni is a few months away from me, im 19 and im retaking my maths GCSE because they are asking for a grade B in maths (i got a grade C before). im hoping to start working on some past paper tomorrow (also im in college btw)
    Oh sorry my bad

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere you could put up the actual answers?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd like to see if I got any right.

for revision you guys can use my thread too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post62901465

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phat-chewbacca)
    Hey. Did you guys have a quadratic equation which simplifies to x^2 -360x +12800 = 0

Which gives you x = 320 or x = 40?????

Hopefully I am right!
    Can you run me through your method?

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i just did the predicted past paper 1 for June 2016 and my predicted grade is still a C (its one mark more than what i did in my old exam 3 years ago).... ;-; i got one week to try and get 10 more points on my exam....

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please message me who completely understands vectors please

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally I found maths easy to get an A or A* provided that you practice very hard beforehand on many different types of questions that may require you to think strategically to get the answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cameronkirkbride)
    Can someone please message me who completely understands vectors please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understand them, but not sure how well I can explain it. I could try? :dontknow:

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.