The Student Room Group

Sick of my weight, totally depressed feel really ugly 😟 diet tips pls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by akritighimire
What I was trying to say was that going vegan is a far better way to lose weight (for a healthier lifestyle) than just restricting the calorie intake of a normal diet(which also restricts the nutrition).If all you're worried about is weight loss, just starving yourself if the most effective.
Eating less meat and dairy is the best way to cut calories because they are the most harmful, high calorie foods(increase risk of cancer,heart disease etc). Going vegan means that with less meat and dairy(high calorie foods) in your diet, you do not really have to worry about calories.
Foods like almonds should also be consumed with moderation, vegan or non-vegan.Most people, when going vegan tend to substitute meat with vegetable instead of nuts, so this is hardly a problem.
Also, vegetarianism and veganism are much better lifestyles (the average vegetarian lives 10 years longer than the average meat eater), it's better for the environment, and to an extent, more moral. Going vegan means you do not have to take part in rigorous exercise or strict, harmful low calorie diets that simply do not provide enough nutrition. I hope you get my point now.

Going on low calorie diet does not have to equal poor nutrition, be that low calorie diet vegan or non vegan.

My point still stands, you just telling OP to go vegan without giving any context of calories and calorie deficit is pointless and unhelpful.
Original post by Tom Jickleson
Red meat? Are you serious? Red doesn't make you fat. Mars bars and coca cola and coco pops make you fat.

Red meat isn't good for you in large amounts but it doesn't just make you fat it heightens your levels of cholesterol and can cause circulatory problems.
What I was trying to say was that going vegan is a far better way to lose weight (for a healthier lifestyle) than just restricting the calorie intake of a normal diet(which also restricts the nutrition).If all you're worried about is weight loss, just starving yourself if the most effective.
Eating less meat and dairy is the best way to cut calories because they are the most harmful, high calorie foods(increase risk of cancer,heart disease etc). Going vegan means that with less meat and dairy(high calorie foods) in your diet, you do not really have to worry about calories.
Foods like almonds should also be consumed with moderation, vegan or non-vegan.Most people, when going vegan tend to substitute meat with vegetable instead of nuts, so this is hardly a problem.
Also, vegetarianism and veganism are much better lifestyles (the average vegetarian lives 10 years longer than the average meat eater), it's better for the environment, and to an extent, more moral. Going vegan means you do not have to take part in rigorous exercise or strict, harmful low calorie diets that simply do not provide enough nutrition. I hope you get my point now.

So I can eat as many millk free junk food and snacks, and as long as it's vegan it'll be healthy and you can lose weight?
Original post by AxSirlotl
Red meat isn't good for you in large amounts but it doesn't just make you fat it heightens your levels of cholesterol and can cause circulatory problems.

Incorrect.
Original post by Proxenus
Its all in the mind. I learned to love my appearance.

you're not even fat brah..
So I can eat as many millk free junk food and snacks, and as long as it's vegan it'll be healthy and you can lose weight?

If you had previously eaten junk food and snacks containing milk, then yes it's an improvement but it's obviously not healthy
Incorrect.

Okay then. Well this article is about processed meat but also covers red meat http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621 .
If you had previously eaten junk food and snacks containing milk, then yes it's an improvement but it's obviously not healthy

The fact remains that veganism is the unhealthiest diet on the planet.
Original post by AxSirlotl
Okay then. Well this article is about processed meat but also covers red meat http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34615621 .

Do you honestly expect me to click on that link? It's probably a malware program designed to infiltrate my computer. I'm not going near it.
Original post by SophieSmall
Going on low calorie diet does not have to equal poor nutrition, be that low calorie diet vegan or non vegan.

My point still stands, you just telling OP to go vegan without giving any context of calories and calorie deficit is pointless and unhelpful.

can you explain how lower calorie intake does not equate lower nutrition??? I'm baffled
Theres some really rubbish advice on this thread.

Learn how weight loss works- about calories,- get some scales kitchen and bathroom
Learn what nutritiion does.- complex carbs, good fats- lean protein, fruit and veg 5 portions.- you wont starve and you cna still eat a bit of junk.
Learn what exercise does.- Do resistance training to retain muscle and increase fat loss. Cardio for your heart.
Learn how to change you mental atitude so you can combine all three of the above and maintain a realistic consistent calorie deficit to lose weight.
can you explain how lower calorie intake does not equate lower nutrition??? I'm baffled

Nutrition isn't just energy, it's macro and micronutrients (protein, carbs, fats ect along with our micros such as B12, calcium ect).

You can still eat a full nutritious diet (with enough macro and micronutrients) while eating less calories than your TDEE.

No matter what if you want to lose weight you will need to eat less calories than your body burns (your TDEE) otherwise you simply will not lose weight (thermodynamics). To deny this is to deny science.
The fact remains that veganism is the unhealthiest diet on the planet.

I think you need to do some research but if you really think that then carry on eating meat + dairy, let's see if you make it to 50 without any heart problems or diabetes
Original post by 999tigger
Theres some really rubbish advice on this thread.

Learn how weight loss works- about calories,- get some scales kitchen and bathroom
Learn what nutritiion does.- complex carbs, good fats- lean protein, fruit and veg 5 portions.- you wont starve and you cna still eat a bit of junk.
Learn what exercise does.- Do resistance training to retain muscle and increase fat loss. Cardio for your heart.
Learn how to change you mental atitude so you can combine all three of the above and maintain a realistic consistent calorie deficit to lose weight.

Starting to lose patience with this vegan on here to be honest. They're spreading so much misinformation, contradicting themselves and don't seem to understand anything that is being said to them.

Not really sure why I'm even wasting my time trying debate with a GCSE student knowing full well I am on point and they are completely off the ball because I literally learn this stuff at university and they are essentially with their nonsense claims saying my lecturers and professors despite having studied and researched these topics for decades are wrong.

It's ridiculous. This is why there is so much confusion about weight loss (an incredibly simple topic) because of people like that spreading complete and utter garbage.
Here's a super easy thing you can do, OP:

Get up earlier and make sure you eat breakfast; it increases your metabolism.

Because you are making a presumption about the nutritiion they were eating in the first place. If they wer eating just junk food then they could have been eating high calories with little nutrition.

You cna still get all the nutrition you need if you start eating healthier, even at a calorie defiit. If you eat complex carbs, lean protein, fruit and veg plus good fats. Thats how you achieve lower calories but greater nutrition, by changing your quality of food.
Nutrition isn't just energy, it's macro and micronutrients (protein, carbs, fats ect along with our micros such as B12, calcium ect).

You can still eat a full nutritious diet (with enough macro and micronutrients) while eating less calories than your TDEE.

No matter what if you want to lose weight you will need to eat less calories than your body burns (your TDEE) otherwise you simply will not lose weight (thermodynamics). To deny this is to deny science.

exactly and it's near impossible to get enough nutrients on a low calorie meat diet or nearly as much nutrients as you would get from a low calorie vegan diet (except vitamin B12) lentils for example provide more protein than steak but consist of fewer calories and this trend is applicable to almost any meat.
If you want to lower your calorie intake while maintaining correct nutrition , with less risk of heart disease, veganism is the best option.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Here's a super easy thing you can do, OP:

Get up earlier and make sure you eat breakfast; it increases your metabolism.

Its affect on metabolism is so minuscule you will see 0 weight loss affects from doing this alone.
(edited 8 years ago)
Starting to lose patience with this vegan on here to be honest. They're spreading so much misinformation, contradicting themselves and don't seem to understand anything that is being said to them.

Not really sure why I'm even wasting my time trying debate with a GCSE student knowing full well I am on point and they are completely off the ball because I literally learn this stuff at university and they are essentially with their nonsense claims saying my lecturers and professors despite having studied and researched these topics for decades are wrong.

It's ridiculous. This is why there is so much confusion about weight loss (an incredibly simple topic) because of people like that spreading complete and utter garbage.

Agree becayse they dont learn the basics. I just feel sad for he ones that want to learn how to lose. It irks when I can see perfectly good advice has been given and then people start posting tosh,
Original post by 999tigger
Because you are making a presumption about the nutritiion they were eating in the first place. If they wer eating just junk food then they could have been eating high calories with little nutrition.

You cna still get all the nutrition you need if you start eating healthier, even at a calorie defiit. If you eat complex carbs, lean protein, fruit and veg plus good fats. Thats how you achieve lower calories but greater nutrition, by changing your quality of food.

That's what I've been saying all along. A diet consisting of more vegetables and less meat + dairy increases nutrition and lowers calorie intake

Quick Reply

Latest