Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to curl up and cry...AMA Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Nah...it's fine, I'll use Word (I set autosave to every minute) The day I buy my new laptop the better, this one is like 6 years old no lie...

I'll try but I'm just really tired now...

IB? So...you lived in Europe or your school was just trying to be cool?
    The latter, to its tragic end.

(Original post by Anon_98)
    Oh goodness, I've got the absolute best-est idea. :crazy:

Maybe we should curl up + cry virtually together? :nutcase: <3

I'll tag, quote + rep you (or shout "PRSOM") every time I produce a tear. :woo:

+ you can have the fun job of collecting them in your virtual tear-holding jar(s). :woohoo:

Yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :dance:
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic or passive aggressive...but I still laughed lol...
    Oh well.

(Original post by ODES_PDES)
    1 minute might be too short. because the computer freezes for a second or two when it saves.
    This can be annoying if it happens every minute
    Eh...I don't want to take the chance...

(Original post by Rhythmical)
    Aw I do understand. I lost a piece of my work and had to change everything and rewrite it. Maybe it's time for a new computer. What kind is it?
    It's an old Samsung computer, that has an Intel Core i3 Processor, it runs windows 10...it's crap.
    I will buy a new laptop next year at some point...don't hate me but it will probably be a MacBook Pro...

ReputationRep:
    Same.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously don't set it to one minute, that'll really mess with your already crash-y computer. 5-10 minutes is much safer and neglible difference.

(Original post by habzi)
    Same.
    Yeah...life's a b*tch!

(Original post by Zacken)
    Seriously don't set it to one minute, that'll really mess with your already crash-y computer. 5-10 minutes is much safer and neglible difference.
    Ok...will do I set it to 7 (if you wanted to know)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Oh goodness, I've got the absolute best-est idea. :crazy:

Maybe we should curl up + cry virtually together? :nutcase: <3

I'll tag, quote + rep you (or shout "PRSOM") every time I produce a tear. :woo:

+ you can have the fun job of collecting them in your virtual tear-holding jar(s). :woohoo:

Yassssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssss. :dance:
    :rofl:
    what was that

(Original post by IFoundWonderland)
    The latter, to its tragic end.
    Wait, was this the school that you went to thats named after an evil disney character (well kinda named after her)
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    OMGGGGG :zomg:
    :mad2::mad2::mad2:nothing worse can happen than that :mad2::mad2::mad2:
    so sad for you :sad: :sad: :sad:
    hope it auto saved some of it at least :yep:
    It did a bit...but eh...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I don't know if you're being sarcastic or passive aggressive...but I still laughed lol...
    Oh well.

Eh...I don't want to take the chance...

It's an old Samsung computer, that has an Intel Core i3 Processor, it runs windows 10...it's crap.
    I will buy a new laptop next year at some point...don't hate me but it will probably be a MacBook Pro...
    After six months laptops tend to slow down and serve less of their purpose so maybe that's why too.

After six months laptops tend to slow down and serve less of their purpose so maybe that's why too.
    Lol I've had this 6 YEARS...

ReputationRep:

Ok...will do I set it to 7 (if you wanted to know)
    Yep, sounds good!

Okay, now do me a favour, open up "my computer" /"This PC" and in the top right, type in "*.tmp" (without the quotation marks) in the "Search this PC" box. Note the location of each file or select all of them and copy them to a folder on your desktop. Then open up work and open each one one by one by starting word, going to "File" then "Open" and in the bottom right of the box that pops up, and click the "All files" option from the dropdown menu. If you find the missing file, save it immediately.

ReputationRep:
    ^If the above doesn't work (which it probably won't, given that this incident happened over 30 minutes ago and Windows has probably cleared out most of the crap) try repeating the exact same process except by searching "~*" (without quotation marks).
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Lol I've had this 6 YEARS...
    Damn. Bury it in the garden so no one notices. I hate Samsung laptops anyways but I have their phone, how does that work out? And the Internet is great for all kinds of laptops deals. The best MacBooks are always so expensive

My computer crashed as I was working on my history. 4 pages are lost...
    I want to cry rn. AMA
    Use Google Docs

You'll never lose any work ever again

(Original post by zanner)
    Use Google Docs

You'll never lose any work ever again
    I was told that...

Damn. Bury it in the garden so no one notices. I hate Samsung laptops anyways but I have their phone, how does that work out? And the Internet is great for all kinds of laptops deals. The best MacBooks are always so expensive
    I know MacBooks are expensive, but I have my ways...:sexface:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have to work in Starbucks all summer...

^If the above doesn't work (which it probably won't, given that this incident happened over 30 minutes ago and Windows has probably cleared out most of the crap) try repeating the exact same process except by searching "~*" (without quotation marks).
    As much as I appreciate your help, I'm really tired now...can I do it tomorrow morning...?

ReputationRep:

As much as I appreciate your help, I'm really tired now...can I do it tomorrow morning...?
    They're called '.tmp' - "temporary" files for a reason, the likelihood of them continually existing decreases with time, but I suppose rest is more important.

They're called '.tmp' - "temporary" files for a reason, the likelihood of them continually existing decreases with time, but I suppose rest is more important.
    tbh it wasn't my best work anyway... :/

ReputationRep:
    tbh it wasn't my best work anyway... :/
    Fair enough, go to bed!

Well, after what Anon_98 said, I guess she/he (I don't know, I'm 5) Is right.
    I just need to suck it up like a big boy, stop crying and go to bed...

Stop attention seeking Homeland...
    :spank:
    Yeah

stop it

ReputationRep:
    Well, after what Anon_98 said, I guess she/he (I don't know, I'm 5) Is right.
    I just need to suck it up like a big boy, stop crying and go to bed...

Stop attention seeking Homeland...
    :spank:
    Yeah

stop it
    Uh, that's really not what I said. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Wait, was this the school that you went to thats named after an evil disney character (well kinda named after her)

It did a bit...but eh...
    Lol no, the other one

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.