Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness others will be working. I am just under full time hours and will be reducing my hours, I was advised to only focus on studying for the access but I don't really have a financial support network in place in that situation. I was also hoping to continue working as I didn't want to cut loose the experience which will be a feature of my future applications to uni. So I can see where you are coming from with the experience in a practice. Does dentistry require voluntary experience or placement? I am not sure of other pathways as I have been so absorbed with medicine!

I would like the city centre as public transport is better from where I live (North Glasgow) but I am lucky to have a link to Springburn also. I have a friend who has a place on the access to nursing course this year and she has heard the campus is in Easterhouse (quite far from where she lives!). I had not heard of a start date, thank you - just over three weeks to go until we start?! Roll on the awful student ID photos lol.

I have no idea about the class size, surely there will be more? A quick scan on the student rooms has given no hints, if its smaller that is better, I suppose? Although I have heard that some in the class tends to drop out, would 12 be the final figure?

That is a very kind offer Marcin! I have been on placement in the QEUH, ENT theatre. Its a beautiful building, albeit a little tricky to navigate. I imagine your line of work provides excellent experience talking points and insight for your career path.

Cassi

ReputationRep:
    Have You ? So we had to meet, coz I am working within ENT. Now I've been moved to Trauma. For God sack :P My career path has been created 15 years ago. I have never had any other plans for my life. Although I fell hundreds of times I always raising up just by myslef without any support (mental support). Always I wanted to be a doctor. This is a little piece of my personality :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittylorelli)

Cassi
    I studied a different subject at Kelvin college last year, as I wasn't aware of the access course until it was too late to apply. Class sizes are around the 18 - 20 mark usually as the class rooms themselves can't accommodate more. There are a few larger rooms, however they were never the rooms we had access to and I didn't notice any larger sized labs which I'm guessing we will need. For our year they took more students in than our classes had enough seats for to begin with, as they anticipated people dropping out. This meant lots of room swapping throughout the year until we were finally settled and/or lost people. From what I've heard up to half of the class can drop out of this course. I'm not entirely sure how accurate or exaggerated that is though.

I will be working part time too . Last year it was 3 days a week in classes and 3 in work with a dedicated day off for studying/essays. This course is supposed to be a lot more intense from what I have been told. Tests regularly for all the different subjects and you are supposed to be looking at around 80% for all of them to have a decent chance at getting into any of the medical university courses. It's looking like it's a 3 1/2 days per week course, so for me I'm dropping to working 2 days a week. I feel that's going to be needed for the pace this course is supposedly going to be going at.

If you've not had previous funding for other courses of the same or higher level, saas etc, you should have gotten a bursary application pack. I think the maximum amount is about £400ish a month which makes this much easier finance wise and the course fees are usually covered in these circumstances also.

Hopefully that helped a bit. Also, and the student ID's are indeed awful. ^^;

Edit:
    (Original post by JasminR10)
    ThanksJasmin x
    Oh and letters are being sent out over the next week, with enrolment and timetable details. I phoned today to check on how it was going so I could get more accurate info to give my work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catchk)
    I studied a different subject at Kelvin college last year, as I wasn't aware of the access course until it was too late to apply. Class sizes are around the 18 - 20 mark usually as the class rooms themselves can't accommodate more. There are a few larger rooms, however they were never the rooms we had access to and I didn't notice any larger sized labs which I'm guessing we will need. For our year they took more students in than our classes had enough seats for to begin with, as they anticipated people dropping out. This meant lots of room swapping throughout the year until we were finally settled and/or lost people. From what I've heard up to half of the class can drop out of this course. I'm not entirely sure how accurate or exaggerated that is though.

I will be working part time too . Last year it was 3 days a week in classes and 3 in work with a dedicated day off for studying/essays. This course is supposed to be a lot more intense from what I have been told. Tests regularly for all the different subjects and you are supposed to be looking at around 80% for all of them to have a decent chance at getting into any of the medical university courses. It's looking like it's a 3 1/2 days per week course, so for me I'm dropping to working 2 days a week. I feel that's going to be needed for the pace this course is supposedly going to be going at.

If you've not had previous funding for other courses of the same or higher level, saas etc, you should have gotten a bursary application pack. I think the maximum amount is about £400ish a month which makes this much easier finance wise and the course fees are usually covered in these circumstances also.

Hopefully that helped a bit. Also, and the student ID's are indeed awful. ^^;

Edit:

Oh and letters are being sent out over the next week, with enrollment and timetable details. I phoned today to check on how it was going so I could get more accurate info to give my work.
    That's such good news all round! Glad we will be tested throughout the year in prep for the big exams and the dreaded UKCAT lol. 3 days intense days a week is also relieving, at least we will have time to fit part time work schedules in! Anxious to get the timetable/enrollment dates in the next week also, brill news.

I received my bursary confirmation on Thursday has anyone else? Glad that it is all organised for starting in the next few weeks.

What are you looking to study at uni next year CatchK? :-)

Thanks again,
    Jasmin x

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone on this course at the moment? (Swap access to medical studies in glasgow) could you please kindly shed some light on the timetable? How many days a week is it and how many days off? Many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Hi there
    I have just been looking through a few threads and noticed that you are a dental nurse looking to do dentistry. I have applied to the swap course this year and have got an interview coming up. I was wondering if you have tips for interview ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.