Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Cameron Resign? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should Cameron resign?
    Yes, Cameron should resign
    40.59%
    No, Cameron shouldn't resign
    49.50%
    Don't know enough facts or don't care
    9.90%

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Right, because being corrupt and lying is the same as not conforming to my views.
    Are we just committing slander here or can you actually substantiate the claims of corruption? I don't see you calling for any of the corrupt and/or lying opposition MPs to resign, further you assume anybody who is a Tory MP, i.e. does not conform to your views, is also a corrupt liar.

ReputationRep:
    He should resign though. Not for profiting from dodgy companies, but for being a corrupt, devious, lying ****. His whole party should resign.
    I'm probably going to be voting labour but that's ridiculous; you sound like a ukipper

ReputationRep:
    He should resign though. Not for profiting from dodgy companies, but for being a corrupt, devious, lying ****. His whole party should resign.
    Ah, yet more prize BS from yet another resident TSR goon who believes that if you disagree with them that you're wrong and should be in prison. What a delightful chap you are.

ReputationRep:
    Resign?!
    Definitely not!
    (The skin of modern day politicians is thicker than that of a rhino.)

ReputationRep:
    Cameron won't resign. I judge him not to be honorable enough to fall on his sword under any circumstances and certainly not over such rifling matter of a small tax bill on 30k. It'll blow over by mid week. The public has the attention span of a goldfish.

ReputationRep:
    It makes him a hypocrite at worst and he's fessed up to his mistake. He's going to be resigning anyway.

I personally think that Corbyn getting money from Press TV is worse tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Are we just committing slander here or can you actually substantiate the claims of corruption? I don't see you calling for any of the corrupt and/or lying opposition MPs to resign, further you assume anybody who is a Tory MP, i.e. does not conform to your views, is also a corrupt liar.
    (Original post by Davij038)
    I'm probably going to be voting labour but that's ridiculous; you sound like a ukipper
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Ah, yet more prize BS from yet another resident TSR goon who believes that if you disagree with them that you're wrong and should be in prison. What a delightful chap you are.
    I don't really understand how you can seriously believe that he doesn't lie. Have you read the news at any point in the last week? He's also a huge hypocrite.

As for corruption http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...own-corruption

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not, what he has done does not justify him resigning. Illegal? No. Utter *****ish hypocrisy? Yes.

And judging by the state of the main parties, Cameron stepping down will trigger a very messy period in UK political history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    If we assume that th new leader is announced at conference in September 2018 then provided they are from the cabinet (so well known) and have approval levels of 40%+ then yes, i'd certainly call an election a year early if Corbyn is still leader. I expect Corbyn to be knifed in the summer of 2017 though.

No need for a VoNC, if the new Tory leader goes to the country offering them a chance to give him a mandate then Labour will have to back an election (55% of MP's needed) otherwise the Tories will hammer them for being undemocratic. Or more likely Labour would simply not turn up to oppose that vote so it would pass 331-0.
    It's not undemocratic though. We don't vote for a Prime Minister in the first place. No one voted directly for David Cameron as prime minister, nor any other prime minister for that matter. You vote for a representative of a party knowing that the leader of the biggest/majority party will be PM.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't really understand how you can seriously believe that he doesn't lie. Have you read the news at any point in the last week? He's also a huge hypocrite.

As for corruption http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...own-corruption
    Did you even bother reading your own "source", or even check the definition of corruption?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    It's not undemocratic though. We don't vote for a Prime Minister in the first place. No one voted directly for David Cameron as prime minister, nor any other prime minister for that matter. You vote for a representative of a party knowing that the leader of the biggest/majority party will be PM.
    This is a pretty naive view I think. When you vote for a party you're voting knowing that the leader of that party may become PM. I think who the leader of a party is has a pretty big role in who we vote for, like a lot of my friends saying they will vote Labour next time instead of Lib Dem because Jeremy Corbyn is now their leader.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by infairverona)
    This is a pretty naive view I think. When you vote for a party you're voting knowing that the leader of that party may become PM. I think who the leader of a party is has a pretty big role in who we vote for, like a lot of my friends saying they will vote Labour next time instead of Lib Dem because Jeremy Corbyn is now their leader.
    But the leader ultimately manifests itself in the policies, so if you vote on policies rather than blindly vote for a party you are indirectly voting confidence in the leader of the party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    But the leader ultimately manifests itself in the policies, so if you vote on policies rather than blindly vote for a party you are indirectly voting confidence in the leader of the party.
    Not sure if I've misunderstood but it sounds like you're agreeing with me?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The list of people most likely to succeed him are Boris Johnson, George Osborne, and Theresa May - all Oxonians. I'm ready for the twenty-seventh prime minister for Oxford.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Not sure if I've misunderstood but it sounds like you're agreeing with me?
    It's also not disagreeing with what the other poster said, which does not disagree with what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FarageCollage)
    I began thinking "no" but now I'm thinking maybe; the icelandic PM resigned for very comparable circumstances. also, he scolded jimmy carr for tax avoidance now he's been proven to have been doing the same thing, except not directly (but come on - the principle is the same - unjust enrichment via avoiding taxes)
    He didn't avoid paying tax though. He held shares, sold them and paid tax on the money from the sale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaronK)
    He didn't avoid paying tax those. He held shares, sold them and paid tax on the money from the sale.
    yeah but he didn't immediately sell them, did he
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BaronK)
    He didn't avoid paying tax those. He held shares, sold them and paid tax on the money from the sale.
    And as far as we know paid tax on the dividends.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FarageCollage)
    yeah but he didn't immediately sell them, did he
    May I ask what the point is in buying shares if you are going to sell them as soon as you get them?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.